Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Does lg front load washer have mold smell?

L K

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:30 am
Please share; I have experience with whirlpool; it had no such problems.

Are lg ones known to be mold free or mold-y?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:33 am
I have Electrolux front loader, not LG, but it gets a stale/musty smell and eventually a moldy smell. The solution I found is to always leave the door open when not in use.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:35 am
Mine does.
I think my mom's whirlpool does, too

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:41 am
No BH. Keep door ajar.

synthy

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:56 am
A repairman told me it needs at least one hot wash a week to keep it from getting moldy. I do a towel load once a week and that takes care of it, never have to leave the door open.

professor

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:59 pm
There are tablets you put into the machine to clean it. Afresh I think.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:00 pm
synthy wrote:
A repairman told me it needs at least one hot wash a week to keep it from getting moldy. I do a towel load once a week and that takes care of it, never have to leave the door open.

That's interesting. I do a few *very hot* loads of towels a week. Good to know that this what does it along with keeping the door open.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:02 pm
If you read the instructions that comes along with the machines, you'll see it tells you clearly that the door must be left ajar in order to avoid moldy smell.

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:21 pm
I have my LG for 3 years now, never noticed a mold smell, it's in our basement so we can keep the door open when it's not in use.

s1

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:19 pm
I found when I was using liquitabs/capsules a terrible smell built up. With powder it doesn’t as much. But as pp’s have said, hot wash, leave the door open, cleaning tablets and wiping round the rubber helps. You can also clean the machine with soda crystals in the soap compartment and vinegar in the fabric conditioner compartment.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:14 pm
After every wash session--whether you do one load or ten back-to-back--do the following:
1. Remove the detergent/fabric softener drawer and let it drain or wipe it dry.
2. Open the little door on the lower left, pull out the rubber hose just a little, remove the plug and let the water drain into a pan of some sort. Replace the plug, push the hose back in and shut the door. Now and then, unscrew the "coin catcher" aka the drain filter, dry it off and dry the compartment it fits into. (very important if you're not going to wash for a time, e.g you go on vacation. The pint or so of water that remains in the bottom of the machine is the perfect breeding ground for microbial life of the bacterial or fungal persuasions.)
3. MOST IMPORTANT: take a soft absorbent cloth--an old flannel sheet or dishtowel is ideal--and dry the door gasket. Really get in there, pull apart the folds, and dry everything. Easiest to do is to take a long strip or two of cloth and stuff it into the folds all the way around, and do the same for the second narrow fold just behind the main one. leave for a few minutes to allow the water to soak into the cloth, then remove the cloth. Use a finger to check that the rubber is dry; if not, repeat.
4. Unless you have small people around who may try to climb in, leave the door open as long as possible.
5. Run a Tub Clean cycle once a month or so. This won't help if the odor is coming from the gasket, which it usually does, but will if the odor comes from the tub or the drum.
6. Read your owner manual.

1-4 sounds like a lot of work, but a. once you get it down pat, it's not; and b. preventing mold is a heck of a lot easier than getting rid of it.

banana123

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:43 pm
You need to keep the door open and open it immediately when the load finishes.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:55 am
I use vinegar as fabric softener and leave the door open (Electrolux) bh machine is about a year old & no issue. I did have once that my husband washed a load and left a shirt inside with closed doors. Musty smell went away after a few loads. I also did a cycle with affresh.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 12:52 am
Just got a new washer called GE ultra fresh vent. It comes with a special feature that you turn on when you're done with laundry for the day, and it dries the inside of the machine to prevent mold.love it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry