Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Ohhh...the shame
Previous  1  2

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:17 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Me too!!

My 8 year old fell and broke his arm on the 8th night of pesach, and between the ER on Yom Tov, an orthopedist on Isru Chag and a surgery yesterday to thread a metal rod through his fractured ulna so it will heal in a straight line... I haven’t had time all week to de-Pesach at all.

It’s stressful because family members can’t stay out of the chametz cabinets, so all the pesach pots etc are still all over the kitchen (many even still unwashed... on Thursday...) but kids are eating chametzdik snacks while promising they’re “being careful”... 😑

I'm so sorry. Poor son and poor Mommy.

The main reason why I push myself to finish Motzei Pesach is because I know nobody will be careful with chometz and I have to work the next morning and can't watch over them.

This sounds like a huge pain for you on so many levels!

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:23 pm
Bh I managed to clean up and put all the klp stuff in the dining room after yt. Monday morning I finished the dishes and finally pulled off all the counter covers. Tue or Wednesday dh packed everything into boxes and put it away. Yesterday Wednesday I took out the food box and stored out the pantry and the fridges. Only now I managed to put away the klp tablecloth from the dining room.
Still missing stuff. That's the most annoying part.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:24 pm
If it makes you feel better, our sukkah frame is still up 🙈

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:25 pm
Quote:
Of course writing things down is a great idea, but seriously you're going to write down where you put every spoon, pot, sugar bowl, knife, salt shaker, corkscrew and colander? And who can find a pen Erev Pesach?
Certainly not! Most things are just stuffed into the appropriate dishwasher or cabinet. But if there's a whole box of last-minute stuff (and/or the kitchen is fully turned over & it feels sacrilegious to open a chometzdik cabinet) we can take that whole box and put it "in the basement on the old dryer" or "in the guest bedroom closet". It's gotta be in some such place, but bless us if we can think where else to look.

Definitely have to buy a new pareve knife, nothing to discuss. I bought some real baking sheets for Pesach and YES! The vegetables brown WAY WAY faster on them (but you knew that from the article in that magazine, no? I actually did some on a disposable just to see for myself) and so I decided to make one chometzdik. But I had to dice onions for my cauliflower last night and there was no pareve knife to be found. So I used a milchig knife and now my new baking sheet is presumable milchig (due to dachka desakina etc). Luckily once 24 hours pass one cans till bake pareve cookies, at least I think so. Not that I'm up to baking any time soon.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:36 pm
Look at it this way! You are so geshikt to be ready for pesach 348 days early LOL

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:40 pm
Apparently the key to a quick and easy rumplenacht is a) use disposables over last days and b) have big kids to help. Neither happens in my house so we were up til 3am and hubby shlepped boxes the next day. He grew up with a mother who has Pesach ocd so has to have every single Pesach thing away (including towels and tablecloths washed and dried) before the merest crumb can enter their front door. He says he’s so happy to be helping me and not her LOL
OP I will pray for you too. Good luck!

southernbubby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:40 pm
Because Liberty Pizza on Route 52 opened Sunday night at 10 p.m , everyone hustled their bustle. I think that we sat down to pizza at 11 p.m. We were too bored with potatoes to order fries. My 2 year old grandson turned down a Pesachdik cookie because it was "boring".
I have seen people keep it up for a few more days but then they eat pizza at a restaurant instead of getting carry out.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:41 pm
iyar wrote:
If only for this post- Dayeinu! It would be worth spending time on imamother.
I lose at least one thing every year in the big kitchen turnover.
Of course writing things down is a great idea, but seriously you're going to write down where you put every spoon, pot, sugar bowl, knife, salt shaker, corkscrew and colander? And who can find a pen Erev Pesach?

Voice notes. I'm putting the knife is the crevice on top of the salad bowls, the urn in the dishwasher, a box of kitniyos in the basement by the stairs. Do as you talk.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:30 pm
I’m loving this thread..also I understand what it is from context, but what’s the literal meaning of rumpelnacht?
Never heard that word before!

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:36 pm
See here re rumpelnacht:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....94557

OP, if you want some tips to lessen the stress for next time, there are ways to make things easier.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:57 pm
Thanks for this thread. I say as a see the foil covered...( embarrassed to admit) and the boxes that have to be put away. In my small apartment. With no real excuse- sorry for the broken arm and full time workers....
. I guess a real emotional challenge this week can count as an excuse.
Thanks for helping me see the humor in it.

Thinking about it. I dont think I’ve had real chametz yet. !! Oh yes I did. The kind bar! And that bowl of cereal for lunch today!!

thanks for this thread

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well, Pesach has come and gone yet my kitchen is STILL KLP!

We change over the whole kitchen and it's a lot of stuff ... dishes, pots and pans, crockpot, instant pot, coffee maker, urn, disposables, and a million other things etc etc etc. (Still amazed how some people have so little and takes them like 2 hrs to finish their rumpelnacht).

I work a lot of hours and was just too wiped out this week to do it.

Hopefully, I can have the house back to "normal" by Sunday night. I'm not holding my breath

Pray for me Wink

I thought I was the only one, we could start a club.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 4:54 am
Those lucky to have a pesach kitchen or special pesach cabinets have it way easier than the rest of us.
Last year, one poster said "pesach is only one week".
On paper, she is right. IMO it's waaay more. Cleaning before pesach. Turning over the kitchen. I'm not going to mention the cooking. Turning back everything. Organizing bits and pieces you stashed everywhere and have a hard time to find. Putting away boxes. The list goes on.
Posted by: "Praying for a pesach kitchen"

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:13 am
[quote="amother [ Peach ]"]
Quote:
But I had to dice onions for my cauliflower last night and there was no pareve knife to be found. So I used a milchig knife and now my new baking sheet is presumable milchig (due to dachka desakina etc). Luckily once 24 hours pass one cans till bake pareve cookies, at least I think so. Not that I'm up to baking any time soon.

Please ask a rabbi, I'm pretty sure I did something similar once and was told the 'fleishigness' (in my case) if the knife did not transfer from the onion to the pan.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
LOL, at least you found it two years later! Yes, I have also started writing things down, too. So easy to lose things as you well know Very Happy .

I once bought coffee on sale about a month or two before Pesach and put it in the Pesach closet, which at the time was the top half of a clothes closet in the coolest room in the house. Come Pesach, the coffee is nowhere to be found, so I buy more at full price (ouch). Fast forward about eight months, I find the coffee where it fell in the back of the closet. As we had enough coffee in the chometz pantry to last at least until pesach, I decided to keep the coffee for the upcoming Pesach.

BIG MISTAKE! Although it was still within its "Best Before" date, it smelled like dust and tasted remarkably like the water from the drainage ditches on either side of the highway.

Now I buy coffee a lot closer to Pesach and never put it away for the following year.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:03 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I’m loving this thread..also I understand what it is from context, but what’s the literal meaning of rumpelnacht?
Never heard that word before!

Literally, rumpeln means "to rumble" and "rumpelnacht" means "rumble night." "rumpelkammer" means a junk room, so rumpelnacht is a reference either to the noise and hullabaloo of getting things back to normal, or to the mess that doing so generates.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:10 pm
This is one of the reasons I use only disposable dishes, silverware and containers on Pesach. Way less to store, way less to turn over. Motzei Pesach I have max a couple of pots and serving pieces to put away because everything is in disposables. After I serve soup on 2nd days I transfer the leftovers to a container and clean the pot.
Btw even with that it still takes a lot of hours to turn over, way more than 2 if I want things put away in any sort of organized manner.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:46 pm
Quote:
This is one of the reasons I use only disposable dishes, silverware and containers on Pesach. Way less to store, way less to turn over.
I try to do this.

But I find it hard to beat an egg with disposables, so I always end up taking out a real bowl & fork.

And while I do buy 16 oz hot cups (and plastic cups for cold) I really miss my double insulated drink cups. So I bought a couple this year. However, I'm not so comfortable taking them to the couch/bedside table. Even though I put down one cover, it's not as 'kosher' as the double covers we put on kitchen & dining room tables. So I'm fighting with myself whether this is OCD. And I end up drinking less.

I was at the (uncovered) folding table doing a puzzle on chol hamoed & mentioned to my son that I'm not drinking enough. Tzaddik that he is, he ran over & put a piece of foil on the table for me!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:58 pm
mommyhood wrote:
This is one of the reasons I use only disposable dishes, silverware and containers on Pesach. Way less to store, way less to turn over.

Also way more to pay for. But each to his own Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics