Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
'dressing up' for better service

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:06 pm
Is this the most pretentious thing ever? Do you ever do it?
I have never worn my wig to a certain establishment, but think I'll get better service if I do. Can't figure out how ridiculous this is.

singleagain

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:12 pm
Voice to text

It's not really ridiculous when there is so much proof that it happens time and time again.

I have read so many stories of people going into establishments underdressed and then going in dressed and they get service It's absolutely wrong It's just unfortunately human nature

To post pretty women again

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:15 pm
I hate going clothing shopping with a nice wig as it gets ruined when you try things on, and I don't like taking a nice purse because then I feel like it attracts more attention from people you may want to grab it, and in general I don't want to keep an eye on it a whole time.
That being said, when I do wear nice things sales people are happy to service me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:18 pm
considering that I've presented myself in a certain way when visiting this company until now, it will be a very obvious change. I guess that's the part that I'm second-guessing...is it too late (or a bad idea) to change my 'look'?

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:22 pm
It's not pretentious; it's smart. What's ridiculous is that people need to do it to get good service. Wise businesspeople treat all their customers like royalty regardless of how they're dressed. That scuzzy-looking, scruffy-bearded, shaggy-haired guy who looks like something the cat coughed up could be a bazillionaire looking to pay cash for your entire inventory.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:23 pm
I go clothes shopping in a tichel mostly. But here in the netherlands all stores are closed except for the grocery and drugstores. I once was in Antwerp and someone came in with a wig, and she changed it to a tichel and took her wig on again after she bought her stuff... I'm too lazy for that

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:29 pm
My mother told me always to wear new socks when shoe shopping. To this day I wear my best undies when going to see my gyn--which makes no sense since she doesn't even see my undies. But it's a habit.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:46 pm
I think that as long as your are not walking around with your nose in the air, with an "I'm better than you" attitude, then dressing nicely is absolutely fine.

Someone once told me the concept of "looking forward" dressing. It's not pretentious, it's a matter of projecting and manifesting what you want in life.

If you want the job, dress like you already have it. Once you have the job, dress like you're the boss.

If you want to get married, dress like you're going to bump into your bashert in the grocery store.

If you absolutely don't care, and just want to run an errand, wear whatever is comfortable! I don't dress up to go to the post office.

What IS pretentious, is wearing high heels and pearls when you are working in your garden. That's just plain silly.

And singleagain, I love that Pretty Woman clip! It's a timeless truth.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:50 pm
I only wear tichels when I go clothes shopping. I've been going to the same store since before I got married and the service never changed, even though I look less dressed up now

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:03 pm
I had that. It was the 90’s and I was teaching in an inner-city NY C Chancellor’s district public school. It was in the South Bronx. The school was filthy beyond compared. The children were unfortunately so so poor and hungry. I took 3 subways to get there. Needless to say I did not wear my finest. One day on my way gone from work, I stopped at Tiffany’s to get a friend something from her registry (it was the 90’s-before we used the internet to shop). I could not get service. Yes, I did go to the Manager and it was resolved, but it was a special experience.

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:08 pm
When you go to collect ypur foodstamps don't go in your furs & diamonds

cbg

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:14 pm
I heard that in Bloomys the sales ppl are taught to look for manicured nails. Those are your best customers.
It’s just a rumor don’t know if it’s true

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:18 pm
dankbar wrote:
When you go to collect ypur foodstamps don't go in your furs & diamonds

Funny and sad at same time

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:39 pm
I go clothing shopping in a tichel because I don't want to ruin my sheitel.

When it comes to doctors' offices, though, I will almost always wear a sheitel and try to wear makeup. They do treat you differently. Unfortunately, the sheitel gets in the way at many appointments...

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I think that as long as your are not walking around with your nose in the air, with an "I'm better than you" attitude, then dressing nicely is absolutely fine.

Someone once told me the concept of "looking forward" dressing. It's not pretentious, it's a matter of projecting and manifesting what you want in life.

If you want the job, dress like you already have it. Once you have the job, dress like you're the boss.

If you want to get married, dress like you're going to bump into your bashert in the grocery store.

If you absolutely don't care, and just want to run an errand, wear whatever is comfortable! I don't dress up to go to the post office.

What IS pretentious, is wearing high heels and pearls when you are working in your garden. That's just plain silly.

And singleagain, I love that Pretty Woman clip! It's a timeless truth.

Haha Pearls while gardening. Very Bree Van de Kamp
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette