Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Where would you go on vacation in the USA now?
1  2  Next

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:29 pm
If you could go on vacation now, where would you go in the USA?

I have not gone on vacation in over a year. I am in a healthcare field, so I have been working continuously, and I could really use a break now.

I am vaccinated, so I feel relatively at ease about travelling now, but I would prefer to stay within the USA where I would not have to quarantine when I reach my destination.

I enjoy visiting new places, love nature, and already been to Florida (Miami, Orlando, Everglades) , LA, San Diego and Arizona. Looking to spend a couple of days someplace warm (70 - 85 degrees or so). Kosher dining is a plus (if no kosher restaurants, I can make do for a few days with buying some kosher items at shoprite etc).

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome! Smile

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:33 pm
San francisco/bay area
virginia beach
atlanta
new orleans

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:36 pm
Utah - not so many kosher options but truly gorgeous!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:27 pm
We did Virgin Islands recently and its a gorgeous relaxing place! No kosher food though. It is part of the US but they might require covid test or proof of immunization.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:44 pm
Surfside Florida

Mindys_mommy

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:58 pm
North Carolina beaches are stunning

southernbubby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:04 pm
Will Hawaii let you in?

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:19 pm
Thanks so much for all these wonderful ideas. Please keep them coming!

Several of the locations mentioned above will only reach 60's in the next several weeks. Not exactly beach weather, but still fairly nice.

I would love to go to Hawaii but I am only going to go for four or five days, so need to find a destination that is not more than five or six hours flight, at most, from NYC.

I have points with Jetblue, so I would like to try to stick to this airline for this trip. For the Virgin Islands, there was a direct flight going there, but not on the way back. I think I would enjoy Utah very much, but knowing myself, I would probably be temped to cram five national parks into five days... However, DH likes to chill more and dislikes long rides.

Ellie7

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:20 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Will Hawaii let you in?

It varies by island. You can get into Maui without having to quarantine if you have a negative COVID test within 72 hours of your flight. There are very specific rules but you can get in.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:30 pm
A_Mother_First wrote:
I would enjoy Utah very much, but knowing myself, I would probably be temped to cram five national parks into five days... However, DH likes to chill more and dislikes long rides.

Just doing Zion and Bryce Canyon is worth it! If you fly in and out of Las Vegas - you can probably get in a day trip to the Grand Canyon, as well, but if DH wants relaxing and not as much driving you can just do those 2.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:30 pm
Arizona has gorgeous scenery! Absolutely breathtaking!

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:31 pm
If you have an up to date passport you should be able to go to Costa Rica without quarantine. JetBlue flies there, about 5 hours from NY. Beautiful country and you can relax and do cool stuff, but you’ll have to bring your own food unless you stay in San Jose.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:33 pm
My dream locations right now are
Colorado
Arizona
Texas (it’s different)

But also Cancun apparently doesn’t require quarantine when u get in.

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:38 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
If you have an up to date passport you should be able to go to Costa Rica without quarantine. JetBlue flies there, about 5 hours from NY. Beautiful country and you can relax and do cool stuff, but you’ll have to bring your own food unless you stay in San Jose.

Thanks. Been to Costa Rica...and Arizona. Truly beautiful.

I just feel that as long as my knees can carry me, I would like to try new places I have not been to as yet. I don't get to travel very often, so I like to make the most of it when I do.

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Just doing Zion and Bryce Canyon is worth it! If you fly in and out of Las Vegas - you can probably get in a day trip to the Grand Canyon, as well, but if DH wants relaxing and not as much driving you can just do those 2.

I am considering this.

Would Las vegas still be a good option if we already saw the Grand Canyon? Or is Salt Lake City airport better if I want to focus on Zion and Bryce? If we only do these two, does it entail a lot of driving? Not sure if shuttle service within the parks is operating during covid.

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:46 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
My dream locations right now are
Colorado
Arizona
Texas (it’s different)

But also Cancun apparently doesn’t require quarantine when u get in.

Colorado -- on the bucket list as well. Denver? However, temps are frigid right now. They are expecting snow!

Texas -- I have not visited as yet. But weather has been very unstable there recently. Don't want any unpleasant surprises on vacation.

Thanks for the tip about Cancun. I will look into it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:51 pm
A_Mother_First wrote:
Thanks so much for all these wonderful ideas. Please keep them coming!

Several of the locations mentioned above will only reach 60's in the next several weeks. Not exactly beach weather, but still fairly nice.

I would love to go to Hawaii but I am only going to go for four or five days, so need to find a destination that is not more than five or six hours flight, at most, from NYC.

I have points with Jetblue, so I would like to try to stick to this airline for this trip. For the Virgin Island, there was a direct flight going there, but not on the way back. I think I would enjoy Utah very much, but knowing myself, I would probably be temped to cram five national parks into five days... However, DH likes to chill more and dislikes long rides.
About the virgin Island idea you can get one way tickets for about $100. It might be worth it to spend the money because the it is an amazing place, weather is always perfect and it is really not far. (when I booked in January I got round trip for $85! but those days are over)

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:56 pm
Oh blah, not into warm places.
I almost posted Adirondacks; glad I read the whole post...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:02 am
A_Mother_First wrote:
I am considering this.

Would Las vegas still be a good option if we already saw the Grand Canyon? Or is Salt Lake City airport better if I want to focus on Zion and Bryce? If we only do these two, does it entail a lot of driving? Not sure if shuttle service within the parks is operating during covid.

I think you are still better off with Las Vegas. The two parks are not that far apart. You can stay at Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge in Mt Carmel, UT, which is about 15 min. from Zion and about an hour from Bryce. (Zion is a much larger park, so you will need more time there, but Bryce is absolutely amazing and not to be missed.) Las Vegas is 3-1/2 hours away, while Salt Lake City is about 4-1/2 hours away. (Thinking of doing this myself when I’m off in the summer.) It looks like the shuttle is running in Zion (with masks and reduced seating . . . )

EM1

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:04 am
Colorado is not so covid restricted
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics