Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Shlissel challah

happy chick

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:20 pm
What's the reason for it?

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:48 pm
I googled schlissel challah and found a bunch of different ideas-I liked this one the best...

There is a concept in Judaism of yirat Shayamim or fear of heaven. On Passover, the matzah that Jews eat is meant to instill this fear of heaven. There is a teaching in Judaism where this fear is compared to a key, so Jews bake a key into their challah after Passover to show that they want this fear (which is a good thing) to stay with them even after the holiday ends.

​Rabbah bar Rav Huna said: Any person that has Torah but doesn’t have Yiras Shomayim (fear of heaven) is comparable to a treasurer who has the keys to the inner parts (of the treasure house) but the keys to the outer area was not handed to him. How can he get to the inner parts (if he can’t first get into the outer parts)? (Babylonian Talmud, Shabbat 31a-b)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads