Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Prince Philip
1  2  3  Next

Elfrida

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:05 am
Its just been announced that Prince Philip, the Queen's husband died.

I never really thought much about him, but he was always there together with the Queen as a stable part of the background of English life. And now he isn't. It feels very peculiar. In a sense I'll miss him. Symbolically, the England where I grew up is disappearing.

On another level, I can feel very sorry for the Queen losing her lifelong partner and support a couple of weeks before her 95th birthday.

And the difficulty of organizing a state funeral during Corona. Normally the public would line the streets, and international leaders would be flying in from all over the globe. That's all going to have to be rethought.

sequoia

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:09 am
RIP

Elfrida

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:10 am
My fathers thinking about flying the flag at half mast.

Except that he doesn't have a flag or a mast.

He's feeling somewhat desolate.

angelgirl

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:23 am
Elfrida wrote:

And the difficulty of organizing a state funeral during Corona. Normally the public would line the streets, and international leaders would be flying in from all over the globe. That's all going to have to be rethought.

Yes it’s sad.

He won’t be having a state funeral though. Probably didn’t want it..

Elfrida

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:25 am
angelgirl wrote:
Yes it’s sad.

He won’t be having a state funeral though. Probably didn’t want it..

I don't think the Royal Family get much choice about things like that. It goes with the job.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:39 am
I always admired the fact that he was the underdog in their relationship but he never made a fuss and was always there for her.

West End Tova

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:54 am
According to the London Times,
"Although the Queen would have liked him to have a state funeral, he refused, saying he wanted a more modest ceremony. In line with his own wishes, there will be no lying-in-state."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....2nf6l

According to the Jewish Chronicle, the Prince had "great affection for the Jewish community."

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/.....tware

s c

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:34 am
I never expected to feel as sad as I do. He and the Queen have always been there, so steadfast and dutiful my entire life (practically everybody's lives- he was 99!). They are the monarchy and I just can't imagine a new era without them. The generations beneath them don't come close.

Simcha36

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:44 am
it says he had 4 children - isnt it THEIR children, or did he have a previous marriage?

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:45 am
Sad for the Queen that she is now alone, but to be fair they have had a pretty long run. It must be extremely unusual to be married so long. He did live a long, and probably pretty happy life, although he did have somewhat turbulant childhood. His headmaster, who was a huge influence on him and inspired him to start the Duke of Edinburgh awards, was a Jewish refugee from Germany.

His mother sounds like a really inspirational person too.

My son wants to know why he wasn't king if his wife was the queen??

West End Tova

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:49 am
Simcha36 wrote:
it says he had 4 children - isnt it THEIR children, or did he have a previous marriage?

Yes, their children. He didn't have a previous marriage.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:50 am
Popping in here as an American to say I don't understand the fuss:)
Throw tomatoes!

Debbie

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:55 am
Simcha36 wrote:

No previous marriage, the 4 children are his and the queens.

West End Tova

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:59 am
Raisin wrote:
My son wants to know why he wasn't king if his wife was the queen??

"A ruling queen’s husband is called a Prince Consort because the title of King is only given to a monarch who inherits the throne and can reign."

https://time.com/5222279/why-p.....king/

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:00 am
West End Tova wrote:
"A ruling queen’s husband is called a Prince Consort because the title of King is only given to a monarch who inherits the throne and can reign."

https://time.com/5222279/why-p.....king/

lol I know why. I wonder if they will change this rule, as they changed other gender based rules.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:24 am
Raisin wrote:
lol I know why. I wonder if they will change this rule, as they changed other gender based rules.

No, because King outranks Queen, and no one can be on a higher rank than the reigning monarch.

At her coronation she bestowed upon him the rank of Prince of the British Isles, and proclaimed him senior to all other members of the Royal Family. That was the most she could do. Within the family he was often in a senior position, but never in public.

Since the next three monarchs are all likely to be male, finding a way to change this particular rule of royal precedence isn't going to be a priority.

4g01o

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:19 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Popping in here as an American to say I don't understand the fuss:)
Throw tomatoes!

That's because you're American. I'm from the UK and we're very fond of prince Philip and the Queen. Lol..

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:22 pm
Fab4 wrote:
That's because you're American. I'm from the UK and we're very fond of prince Philip and the Queen. Lol..

Okay! I mean I get why he's important I just don't get why anyone would be sad about it

4g01o

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:37 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Okay! I mean I get why he's important I just don't get why anyone would be sad about it

Oh I see, yes me neither. I guess it's a part of something we've lived through... I'd imagine the older generations would be more sad about it. My mother was really upset when Diana died. I was only 10 but I'll never forget the shock and drama it caused here.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:42 pm
Fab4 wrote:
Oh I see, yes me neither. I guess it's a part of something we've lived through... I'd imagine the older generations would be more sad about it. My mother was really upset when Diana died. I was only 10 but I'll never forget the shock and drama it caused here.

I got it that makes sense. Thanks Fab4
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics