Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Prince Philip
Previous  1  2  3  Next

keym

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:49 pm
Fab4 wrote:
Oh I see, yes me neither. I guess it's a part of something we've lived through... I'd imagine the older generations would be more sad about it. My mother was really upset when Diana died. I was only 10 but I'll never forget the shock and drama it caused here.

To me, Prince Phillip's death is the equivalent to the death of the President George Bush Sr or something like that.
The same kind of American who felt sad or nostalgic or something is the British who feels sad.
I don't know if I'm expressing myself well.
I love history. So I did care/do care about the deaths of people who have been around for the entire era.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:52 pm
keym wrote:
To me, Prince Phillip's death is the equivalent to the death of the President George Bush Sr or something like that.
The same kind of American who felt sad or nostalgic or something is the British who feels sad.
I don't know if I'm expressing myself well.
I love history. So I did care/do care about the deaths of people who have been around for the entire era.

I love history too, but apparently not enough, because I didn't know that this dude died

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:53 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Popping in here as an American to say I don't understand the fuss:)
Throw tomatoes!

There is a fuss in the country whenever their leader, or a member of the leading family, does. What don’t you understand about that?

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:55 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
There is a fuss in the country whenever their leader, or a member of the leading family, does. What don’t you understand about that?

I clarified that a few posts down, continue reading please!

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:55 pm
Fab4 wrote:
Oh I see, yes me neither. I guess it's a part of something we've lived through... I'd imagine the older generations would be more sad about it. My mother was really upset when Diana died. I was only 10 but I'll never forget the shock and drama it caused here.

Even my mother was sad when princess Diana died and she is far from English. I was too young to care. For some reason Diana touched the hearts of the whole entire universe whilst the rest of the royal family touches just English people.

4g01o

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:00 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Even my mother was sad when princess Diana died and she is far from English. I was too young to care. For some reason Diana touched the hearts of the whole entire universe whilst the rest of the royal family touches just English people.

Yes I agree. Plus she died young etc so it was very different.

imorethanamother

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:03 pm
I think he's a fascinating person. He had an incredibly troubled childhood, and yet he was raised with values of duty, service, commitment, hard work, and loyalty. He served in the Navy during WWII, and while it was well-known that he sometimes chafed at his role, he ultimately thrived in it.

My favorite episodes of the Crown explored his childhood.

s1

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:26 pm
Interestingly, Prince Philip’s mother was (I think) Princess Alice from Greece and she was granted a “righteous gentile” from Yad Vashem for saving a Jewish family during The Holocaust.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:32 pm
s1 wrote:
Interestingly, Prince Philip’s mother was (I think) Princess Alice from Greece and she was granted a “righteous gentile” from Yad Vashem for saving a Jewish family during The Holocaust.

While his sister’s were married to Nazis. They say she hid this from them. I find it fascinating.

PurpleandGold

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:35 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Diana touched everyone's hearts because she was very physically beautiful, and was the most visible and most photographed woman in the world durin her era. She was a style icon. Diana was also the first of the monarchy to be openly vulnerable and loving with her public. She touched and held the sick children she visited, which was unheard of previously for a Royal. She genuinely seemed to care about the people. Diana was openly affectionate with her sons, which was also not the norm for the Royal Family, and people loved to see her warmth. Diana was not supported or trained by the Royal family for her role, and was mistreated by her unfaithful husband, which made her a very sympathetic character as well. That is why she touched hearts all over the world.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:39 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I clarified that a few posts down, continue reading please!

I did, I must have missed it. Sorry!!

keym

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:43 pm
I find Prince Phillip fascinating.
You know that relic of "spoiled kids nowadays" mentality and also a bit of the "work that was".
A Greek/Danish prince, but he spent most of his childhood impoverished and in exile passed around from relative to relative.
He was born right after WWI when many of his close relatives lost their thrones and even lives. (His grandmother's sister was the Tzarina).
He served in the army.
He married the most well-known woman of the era and stayed mostly happily married to her for almost 75 years
He started, ran, coordinated an enormous amount of projects, initiatives and charities.
He was one of the first royals who took an interest in the charities and got involved as opposed to just writing a check.

Fox

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 2:01 pm
An interesting and lovely tribute in The Spectator.

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I've often heard that while Prince Philip made foot-in-mouth comments about Jews over the years, he had personally and discreetly intervened in a number of instances when the Jewish community needed assistance.

newcomer

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 4:56 pm
He also secretly/unofficially visited Israel (I.e. not an official state visit) more than once, because that's where his mother is buried.

ImmaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 6:58 pm
Thank you to all the UKers for your clarification. Although I’m American, it made me a little sad to hear of his death, I think mostly because the Queen is now bereft of her life partner. I like the Queen- I think she is a great role model for the world,no less now that she is in her 90’s!

Iymnok

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 2:53 pm
I hope the queen stays a bit longer, the family has had some big bumps recently and the British people would find it hard to wearer so much in a short time.
I get the feeling that people view the queen as another grandmother. That they may mourn Prince Phillip as a relative. It’s more personal than our past presidents.

Sesame

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 4:23 pm
Deeply saddened!
For non U.K. ppl I don’t think you can compare them to politicians like a president. The royal family aren’t politicians. The royals are part of our culture and very beloved, they’re figure heads, ppl we watched and heard about since babies. A Bracha is even recited when seeing the queen. (I heard that you can recite the Bracha over the American president too?) People would have lived their whole life or the majority of it with Phillip as consort and his death is a significant change for the country.
Personally couldn’t care less if a former prime minister died, and I don’t compare it to an American president dying. It’s royalty!

4g01o

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 4:50 pm
Sesame wrote:
Deeply saddened!
For non U.K. ppl I don’t think you can compare them to politicians like a president. The royal family aren’t politicians. The royals are part of our culture and very beloved, they’re figure heads, ppl we watched and heard about since babies. A Bracha is even recited when seeing the queen. (I heard that you can recite the Bracha over the American president too?) People would have lived their whole life or the majority of it with Phillip as consort and his death is a significant change for the country.
Personally couldn’t care less if a former prime minister died, and I don’t compare it to an American president dying. It’s royalty!

This, so true!!

The UK will go crazy when the queen dies. She should live till 120.
Long live the Queen!! Hooray Cheers

Elfrida

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 5:31 pm
Sesame wrote:
Deeply saddened!
For non U.K. ppl I don’t think you can compare them to politicians like a president. The royal family aren’t politicians. The royals are part of our culture and very beloved, they’re figure heads, ppl we watched and heard about since babies.

I don't know. I'm not bothered about most politicians, but I remember being upset when Margaret Thatcher died. She was Prime Minister since I first became cognizant of the position almost until I made aliyah. It wasn't anything to do with her policies, just the same feeling that a stable part of the world I grew up in had disappeared.

But it's true that the Royal Family is in a league of it's own. You can't compare them to politicians. They are beyond political bickering. The younger generation are a source of media drama, but the seniors, especially the Queen, live a life serving their country.

Raisin

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 6:33 pm
Elfrida wrote:
No, because King outranks Queen, and no one can be on a higher rank than the reigning monarch.

At her coronation she bestowed upon him the rank of Prince of the British Isles, and proclaimed him senior to all other members of the Royal Family. That was the most she could do. Within the family he was often in a senior position, but never in public.

Since the next three monarchs are all likely to be male, finding a way to change this particular rule of royal precedence isn't going to be a priority.

And you don't see this as sexist???

Of course it is. And just because there is no female heir at present, doesn't mean a sexist rule shouldn't be hanged. Before Prince George was born, the queen changed the rule that he would only become king if he was a boy - even if George was a girl and had a younger brother, she would be queen.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics