Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/o: Working to avoid housework

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:05 am
Do you work to avoid housework/ or is that part of the reason you work. Please explain what this means. (seriously). Do you not cook/ wash laundry because you work? who does the work for you?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:13 am
If you work then you have the money for cleaning help. I’m not working right now and so I’m doing everything myself. I’ve thought a few times about if it would be easier to take a part time job and hire help. Of course there’s a shortage of cleaners right now so it’s not the right time for that.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:20 am
First, working brings in more money which allows for more outsourcing. Not everyone who works can afford cleaning help, but many can. DH and I are doing all our cleaning ourselves since COVID, but before that we were spending about $7K per year on cleaning help and another $1500 per year on lawn care that we'd otherwise do ourselves.

Second, when it comes to dividing household work between DH and I, work also factors in. I work longer hours and have more travel than DH, so he does a lot more of the household work. If I was a SAHM, he would still do some things, but he would not be doing anywhere near the 70-80% he currently does.

amother
White

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:24 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
If you work then you have the money for cleaning help. I’m not working right now and so I’m doing everything myself. I’ve thought a few times about if it would be easier to take a part time job and hire help. Of course there’s a shortage of cleaners right now so it’s not the right time for that.

I wish that was true. Both dh and I work and have no extra money for cleaning help. I work myself to the bone.

GLUE

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:27 am
Some people work so they can have $$$ to pay for a cleaning lady, and or buy take out

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:32 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I wish that was true. Both dh and I work and have no extra money for cleaning help. I work myself to the bone.
I work two jobs. My DH works 2 jobs. We still don’t have money for steady cleaning help for 3-4 hours a week. But , part of my consideration of going back to work was that I would be using most of my money towards cleaning help. In the end , I decided to use my earnings towards paying tuition for my kids. Sometimes I regret that decision, because it’s really hard to work full time without any help at all.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:36 am
If you work and your kids are at a babysitter there is no one home making a mess to begin with. If you have an in home baby sitter they often do tidying up so you dont come home to a disaster.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:36 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I work two jobs. My DH works 2 jobs. We still don’t have money for steady cleaning help for 3-4 hours a week. But , part of my consideration of going back to work was that I would be using most of my money towards cleaning help. In the end , I decided to use my earnings towards paying tuition for my kids. Sometimes I regret that decision, because it’s really hard to work full time without any help at all.

You're doing the right thing.

SacN

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:42 am
I work to pay my bills. To save money for my children. To ensure I can pay for private doctors if need be. To own a car. To buy healthy food. To have money in the bank for retirement. To pay for my children's education. To visit my parents. To give tzedaka. To keep busy with something I enjoy. To hopefully make some difference in the world. To grow. To build something. To meet interesting people. To have adult conversations. To cover emergencies. Therapies. So my daughter who used to struggle socially can fit in with nice clothes and a suitable backpack and fun school supplies. So I can take the occasional local driving vacation for my anniversary and go out sometimes for a date night.

So that if something happened to my husband, I'd be okay. I'd have already built my career. So that if he couldn't work, we'd have a place to live. So that my daughter knows how to be a successful happy working mom. So that my son sees shared household roles.

Cleaning help, when I had it, was just a nice perk. The rest is why I work.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:47 am
SacN wrote:
I work to pay my bills. To save money for my children. To ensure I can pay for private doctors if need be. To own a car. To buy healthy food. To have money in the bank for retirement. To pay for my children's education. To visit my parents. To give tzedaka. To keep busy with something I enjoy. To hopefully make some difference in the world. To grow. To build something. To meet interesting people. To have adult conversations. To cover emergencies. Therapies. So my daughter who used to struggle socially can fit in with nice clothes and a suitable backpack and fun school supplies. So I can take the occasional local driving vacation for my anniversary and go out sometimes for a date night.

So that if something happened to my husband, I'd be okay. I'd have already built my career. So that if he couldn't work, we'd have a place to live. So that my daughter knows how to be a successful happy working mom. So that my son sees shared household roles.

Cleaning help, when I had it, was just a nice perk. The rest is why I work.

Well said!

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:15 pm
No, I do housework to avoid work-work (ever since I started working from home during COVID). When the emails and the phone calls and the reports get to be too much, I do a load of laundry. My linen closet has never been so tidy.

ladYdI

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:21 pm
Yup I’m one of those that would rather go to
Work so I can have money to pay for cleaning help rather than do it myself. And yes have some left over
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics