Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How much weight can I lose per week?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:34 am
I'm over 100 lb overweight (and I still can't believe it Mad )
I started eating healthy, not any major diet. Just healthy and portion control.
How much can I lose per week that is still healthy, safe and I will be able to maintain in the long run?
I am so overwhelmed thinking how long I need to do this to lose all my weight.
Any tips?

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:41 am
1-2 pounds.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:42 am
Take it week by week, just do your best.
It's very overwhelming but if you make yourself a monthly goal rather than a weekly one it's better. I always lose the most at the beginning, like 3-5 pounds a week. I think 2 a week lost is good. Hatzlocho

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:44 am
On the beginning could be a 2-4lbs a week initially.

Then it will go down to 1-2lbs a week.
Shouldn’t weigh yourself everyday. If anything best every other week.

But just keep being healthy about it. Notice your energy level, your clothing and how they fit, your mind, your mood. Those should all matter more than the number because sometimes the number won’t jump but that shouldn’t make you feel defeated.

Healthy is the goal. Happy is the goal. Number games can warp that if you give it too much power

Hatzlacha!! Love yourself and your body will love you back!

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:47 am
If you plan to exercise a lot in addition to dieting, you might not lose as much as your gaining muscle.

I like to measure myself every 1-2 weeks. I find it more accurate.

I only weigh myself occasionally.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 12:12 pm
It's a math problem. Every pound lost means burning up 3500 calories. So if you go to a website that will approximate how many calories your body requires to maintain your current weight, and subtract 500 calories a day, you will lose a pound a week. Add 500 calories burned worth of exercise a day and you'll lose another pound per week. It's pretty hard to do much more than that.

agreer

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:29 pm
HEALTHY weight loss is 0.5-2 lb per week. More than that is non sustainable long-term, and less than that is so slow that you will likely lose motivation.

If you lose 0.5 lb per week, you'll be -26 lb by this time next year. That is truly significant!

Also...the slower you lose weight, the more likely you are to maintain.

(Some people lose more weight the first week of a diet. Very normal. Mostly water.)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:37 pm
agreer wrote:
HEALTHY weight loss is 0.5-2 lb per week. More than that is non sustainable long-term, and less than that is so slow that you will likely lose motivation.

If you lose 0.5 lb per week, you'll be -26 lb by this time next year. That is truly significant!

Also...the slower you lose weight, the more likely you are to maintain.

(Some people lose more weight the first week of a diet. Very normal. Mostly water.)

It may be significant, by I don't have that much motivation to wait so long!!!!!!!

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 2:26 pm
I was also over 100 lbs. overweight. I started to diet 5 1/2 months ago, and I'm down 44 lbs bh! I feel (and look) like a different person and this has been my greatest motivation.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 2:29 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I was also over 100 lbs. overweight. I started to diet 5 1/2 months ago, and I'm down 44 lbs bh! I feel (and look) like a different person and this has been my greatest motivation.

Can you please share what you are doing. Is it simple cut calories and add more exercise or are you on a specific plan?

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 2:32 pm
It depends on your weight and metabolism as to how many calories your body burns a day vs how much you are eating. If your body burns 3000 calories a day and you eat 2500 then you will lose about a lb a week. If you burn 2000 calories a day and you eat 1800 it can be half a lb or less. There is no generic answer without knowing specifics. Typically any fast diet plan doesn’t last.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 2:43 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

Omg please share the details

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 2:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It may be significant, by I don't have that much motivation to wait so long!!!!!!!

You know what motivated me more than anything? Seeing the results of my hard work each week! I weigh myself every Wednesday. I usually loose between 0.5-1.5 lbs a week (I’m doing weight watchers). When I see the scale move a tiny bit down each week, there is no way I want to cheat and gain back the following week. It’s slow but as long as it’s steady you’ll be proud and feel good about yourself.
You can do it!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:28 pm
Just a tip, 1 tablespoon of oil is 100 calories approximately, so if you cut off oil you easily cut about 400 calories a day, if you use like 2 tablespoons of oil per meal. It's an easy way of cutting calories without changing much what you eat.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:32 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Just a tip, 1 tablespoon of oil is 100 calories approximately, so if you cut off oil you easily cut about 400 calories a day, if you use like 2 tablespoons of oil per meal. It's an easy way of cutting calories without changing much what you eat.

That’s a good tip. I have another one. Don’t drink soda or juice. You can’t imagine how much you will loose if you only drink water!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:40 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
That’s a good tip. I have another one. Don’t drink soda or juice. You can’t imagine how much you will loose if you only drink water!
So true! Cutting oil and juice together is 800 calories less per day!

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:43 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

Just don’t cut out on juice and skip drinking water. If you don’t drink water you won’t loose weight!

agreer

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:53 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

Good for you!

I just want to point out that this is also healthy weight loss - assuming 5.5 months is about 22-23 weeks (6 months is 26 weeks), she's looking about 2 pounds per week - which is amazing! It's really hard to keep up that pace for such a long stretch.

I'm also curious - what are you doing?!?!

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 6:00 pm
I'm on the Fast Met Diet by Haylie Pomroy. It's been a life changer for me. Healthy eating, I'm never hungry, and am feeling amazing all over.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 9:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm over 100 lb overweight (and I still can't believe it Mad )
I started eating healthy, not any major diet. Just healthy and portion control.
How much can I lose per week that is still healthy, safe and I will be able to maintain in the long run?
I am so overwhelmed thinking how long I need to do this to lose all my weight.
Any tips?

Here’s what I think. And I think I qualify to say because I’ve lost over 100 and am maintaining it.

I think you have to get stable and then tweak. For me, getting stable meant that when I cut out carbs ( except low carb veg) and all processed foods, my craving abated and it meant that I was able to stay stable because I never went back to those things that destabilize me.

I’m just in the process of finishing a very intense program in sports nutrition and one of the clear messages in the literature is that a large caloric deficit will do damage over the long term while a smaller one is less metabolically damaging and easier to maintain.

I’ve had a number of conversations with both registered dieticians and phd’s in Nutrition and they all agree that the smaller the caloric deficit, the more maintained, in general although in the context of my course, the weightloss would be for sports where making weight was an issue. Still, if someone can maintain a lower ‘waking around weight’ that’s still healthy, it’s much better and easier for them.

For myself, once I started feeling great, not because of weightloss specifically but because I felt better eating the way I was, I found my desire to even lose the rest sort of calmed down. M

My priority is maintaining my weightloss and being active and enjoying my life and the fours that I eat. I don’t walk around hungry. I am still overweight and If I lose more weight, great. If not, thank goodness I got this far, because needing to lose 100+ pounds less is fine with me.

Also I lost fifty pounds in the first three months, eighty after ten months and its Taken me another three years to lose another thirty.

I eat high fat, low carb, no processed foods, and am careful about never going off track. I fast intermittently sometimes too but I’m not dogmatic about that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise