Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Black hat: Lakewood

DVOM

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:43 am
It just occurred to me and my husband that our almost bar mitzvah aged son needs a black hat. The other peice of the 'uniform', a casual suit type jacket, we've already got from hand-me-downs in abundance. But the hat has me stumped.

My husband doesn't wear a jacket or a hat to daven. I'm finding it irksome that I need to spend good money on this odd bit of antiquated fashion, and having a moment of wistful regret that we don't live in Kansas or Alaska, but it's not my son's fault that we chose to raise him here in Lakewood where this is the norm and apparently required every day (not just on Shabbos) for davening in school.

So....better informed mom's:

Today is hat day! Where can I buy my son a black hat in Lakewood? Are there different types and style? If we need to buy one, we might as well buy an in style one! What is a typical bar mitzvah hat supposed to cost? My son will not take good care of his hat. It will in all likelihood end up on the floor, mushed into his backpack, used to practice juggling... he's just that kind of spacey kid. We want a hat that is durable and inexpensive.

All help very much appreciated!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:56 am
I found kova to be very helpful and reasonable

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:59 am
The hat box will take good care of you! I know they sell a hat that can survive basically anything.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:01 am
Mazal tov dear. And good luck.
You may get sticker shock. I did when I heard my nephews talking.
I did see an ad in one of the frum magazines about 75$ hats. It’s considered very cheap and so my nephews wouldn’t consider it. Maybe someone else can share the details. ( borrowed magazine) sounds like it would work for you.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:10 am
My sons bar mitzvah is soon.
We bought him a bolini (attached to Marcys) for weekday and a borsalino for shabbos.
That’s what is standard in his class.
I’m sure your son knows what everyone is getting. It’s all they talk about lol

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:48 am
We love Bollini. Highly recommend. My son had no interest in a Borsalino. You can also change up the ribbon to make it more interesting. We did a funkier ribbon for his weekday hat.

DVOM

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:07 am
I'm reading between the lines here....do most kids actually have 2 hats?!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:09 am
Most kids do get two hats. The weekday hat is usually less expensive. Before pesach bingo had black hats on sale. Might be worth checking or calling to see if they still have,

DVOM

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:10 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
We love Bollini. Highly recommend. My son had no interest in a Borsalino. You can also change up the ribbon to make it more interesting. We did a funkier ribbon for his weekday hat.

What does a borsalino cost? What does a billing cost?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:27 am
DVOM wrote:

Yes, an indestructible weekday hat and a nice shabbos hat.

keym

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:30 am
I'm putting it out there- just to make you aware.
Most Lakewood schools have a dress code that once a boy puts on tefillin, he needs to wear white button down shirt and black or navy pants to school, even if the school doesn't require those clothes at the beginning of 7th grade.
Just be aware or ask the school.

keym

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:34 am
Also. Fyi
HatBox has a 10% discount for bar mitzvah boys. So if you're price-comparing, be aware of that.
HatBox has its outlet store- Mr Price. I usually see it advertised in the Lakewood Shopper.
They have older styles. My boys said that a few boys in their classes have gotten weekday hats from there-even though they're older styles and larger brims because they're cheaper.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:35 am
DVOM wrote:

Kids get two hats for the reason you mentioned. Your son's hat will end up on the floor and mushed into his backpack. He'll use the dusty mushed one every day for davening at yeshiva. He needs one that looks a little less smashed to wear on Shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:39 am
There are some cheaper online options.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....95831

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:04 am
Would you try something like this? Less stress if he crushes it. If it doesn't look good they have free returns.
https://www.amazon.com/Belfry-.....psc=1

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:07 am
https://yeshivishhats.com/ this is what I got. I"YH in future, may get something more expensive, but for now this is great.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:12 am
Yes, since you live in a community where black hats and wearing a white shirt and a jacket for davening is the norm, you will have to conform.
Usually the boys know where they want to go for a hat (unless he is the first in his class) but The Hat Box is a good place to shop at since they have everything a bar mitzvah boy will need with lots of choices.
The boys usually buy a cheaper hat for the weekday and a more expensive shabbos hat.
I cannot begin to explain how good they feel about themselves when they put on tefillin and wear a hat and jacket. Encourage him and make him feel amazing about himself as he enters manhood! May he always bring you a tremendous amount of nachas. Mazel Tov on his upcoming bar mitzvah!

DVOM

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:11 pm
Thank you for your help everyone!

We are now the proud owners of 2 ridiculously expensive but actually quite adorable hats, a borcellino and another brand who's name I've forgotten.

The Shabbos one is black, the weekday one dark grey. My son informed me, delighted, that the grey one in particular makes him look 'totally gangster!" We ended up going to Thathat on the private recommendation of one of you lovely Imas, thank you! Lucky for us, there were 2 cool looking young men there plus the store owner who were able to make suggestions and recommendations.

One errand down, 15 gazillion left to go!

Thanks again ladies!

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:17 pm
DVOM wrote:

We are now the proud owners of 2 ridiculously expensive but actually quite adorable hats, a borcellino and another brand who's name I've forgotten.

The Shabbos one is black, the weekday one dark grey. My son informed me, delighted, that the grey one in particular makes him look 'totally gangster!" We ended up going to Thathat on the private recommendation of one of you lovely Imas, thank you! Lucky for us, there were 2 cool looking young men there plus the store owner who were able to make suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks again ladies!

Mazel Tov!!! Lots of naches

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:27 pm
DVOM wrote:

Thanks again ladies!

He sounds so cute!
Yes! Now I remember that my son also wanted to go to ‘that hat’! It must be the ‘in’ place for bm boys
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days