Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
When did Moshe find out who he really was?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:25 am
Miriam watched him from the river
Yocheved nursed him until he was weaned
He went out when he was older to see the suffering of his people

Did he know the whole time? I can’t imagine Paroah would have just let Moshe sit on his lap and play, had he known who he really was.

Frumme

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:32 am
I don't know when Moshe discovered his real lineage, but there's a story about Paraoh and Moshe as baby. Paraoh offered baby Moshe a golden coin and a hot coal, and basically figured that if Moshe was the child in the prophecy, he'd be "smart enough" to avoid the hot coals. If he grabbed the gold coin, he'd kill the baby. So baby Moshe reached out and was about to grab the golden coin when a malach was sent to protect him, pushed his hand toward the coals instead, and it's said that a piece of that coal landed inside of Moshe's mouth which caused his speech impairment. However, because of this, he was able to live and grow up to take the Jewish people out of Egypt.

happymom123

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:36 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Miriam watched him from the river
Yocheved nursed him until he was weaned
He went out when he was older to see the suffering of his people

Did he know the whole time? I can’t imagine Paroah would have just let Moshe sit on his lap and play, had he known who he really was.

Yes, Pharaoh knew that Moshe was a Jewish baby but he was charmed by him so enjoyed playing with him as a child. Moshe grew up knowing that he was a Jew and when he later went out to see the Jews in slavery (he was about 13) he acted as a liason for them since he was both a Jew and a member of the palace. Meam Loez (Torah Anthology) explains this period of Moshes life in depth and it's fascinating

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 12:44 pm
Frumme wrote:
I don't know when Moshe discovered his real lineage, but there's a story about Paraoh and Moshe as baby. Paraoh offered baby Moshe a golden coin and a hot coal, and basically figured that if Moshe was the child in the prophecy, he'd be "smart enough" to avoid the hot coals. If he grabbed the gold coin, he'd kill the baby. So baby Moshe reached out and was about to grab the golden coin when a malach was sent to protect him, pushed his hand toward the coals instead, and it's said that a piece of that coal landed inside of Moshe's mouth which caused his speech impairment. However, because of this, he was able to live and grow up to take the Jewish people out of Egypt.

Yes, this is what I was referring to when I said I can’t imagine paroah would allow Moshe to sit on his lap if he knew who he really was. Why would he be allowing Moshe to sit on his lap and playing, if he was one of the very people that paroah was trying to kill?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 12:45 pm
happymom123 wrote:
Yes, Pharaoh knew that Moshe was a Jewish baby but he was charmed by him so enjoyed playing with him as a child. Moshe grew up knowing that he was a Jew and when he later went out to see the Jews in slavery (he was about 13) he acted as a liason for them since he was both a Jew and a member of the palace. Meam Loez (Torah Anthology) explains this period of Moshes life in depth and it's fascinating

Amazing!!! Where can I find this?

s1

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:01 pm
The book called Let My Nation Go is full of fascinating midrashim about Moshe and Yetzias Mitzrayim

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:10 pm
s1 wrote:
The book called Let My Nation Go is full of fascinating midrashim about Moshe and Yetzias Mitzrayim

Awesome, I just started reading it, I haven’t gotten really in deep yet.

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:27 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Amazing!!! Where can I find this?

I imagine it's in this volume

Torah Anthology Vol. 4 : Exodus (Israel in Egypt)

https://mysefer.com/Torah-Anth......aspx

(volume 5 is titled Redemption)

The entire series seems to be more readily available for purchase than individual specific volumes...

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:57 pm
Meam Loez is amazing! I read the seforim in high school with Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan's translation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics