Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler Started Hating Bath-Time
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:06 pm
DS has loved loved bath-time pretty much since he was born but recently he started screaming and trying to get out every time we've tried to bathe him. I've tried bathing him, my husband tried, we tried the big tub, the baby bath, different houses (mine, in laws...). We've tried toys, distractions....
It's almost like he's scared or something is painful for him. It's been going on for a few weeks now.
Any ideas? Getting pretty desperate!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:10 pm
How old?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:12 pm
Have you checked for rash, cracked skin, open wounds in the diaper area, including all folds?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:16 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
How old?

Sorry, meant to write it.
He's about 14 months.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:17 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Have you checked for rash, cracked skin, open wounds in the diaper area, including all folds?

Yes, thought of that.
But even if that were the case and I missed something, shouldn't something have changed over the course of a few weeks?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, thought of that.
But even if that were the case and I missed something, shouldn't something have changed over the course of a few weeks?

Maybe. But mild irritation can hang around for a while. But if there's nothing, then nothing to do. Does he get upset at being sponged with a wash rag?

s1

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:25 pm
I’ve read that you can try putting him in the bath with no water, fully clothed, to play for a bit. Do it a few times. Then let him play naked in the bath. Then gradually over a few weeks put more and more water in. Toddlers get funny ideas in their heads and it’s hard to change their mindset sometimes!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Maybe. But mild irritation can hang around for a while. But if there's nothing, then nothing to do. Does he get upset at being sponged with a wash rag?

Also, wouldn't water (before the soap) soothe rather than hurt?
I should try giving a sponge bath and seeing how he reacts.

s1 wrote:
I’ve read that you can try putting him in the bath with no water, fully clothed, to play for a bit. Do it a few times. Then let him play naked in the bath. Then gradually over a few weeks put more and more water in. Toddlers get funny ideas in their heads and it’s hard to change their mindset sometimes!

Definitely sounds like something to try.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:35 pm
It’s a really common phase that usually comes and goes

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:38 pm
Would he let you bathe him standing up?
My toddler stopped allowing me to bathe him for around 8 months starting around 2.
I didnt push it.
I encouraged him to sit, every so often purchased a new toy, and after around 8 months he suddenly started sitting down on his own

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 6:48 pm
is he cold? when I bathe my kids I turn on a space heater and make sure the bottom of the bathtub has a chance to get warm from the water.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 6:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DS has loved loved bath-time pretty much since he was born but recently he started screaming and trying to get out every time we've tried to bathe him. I've tried bathing him, my husband tried, we tried the big tub, the baby bath, different houses (mine, in laws...). We've tried toys, distractions....
It's almost like he's scared or something is painful for him. It's been going on for a few weeks now.
Any ideas? Getting pretty desperate!

Any chance something happened in the tub? Water was too hot? Got knocked badly by the faucet? Fell into the water?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 7:18 pm
Make sure the room and water are warm enough and then try bathing him at a different time (morning instead of night).

Can you bathe him in the sink? Let him play around first and then put him in. It's just harder to do this in a bath.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 7:20 pm
Have you tried different temperature water? All of a sudden mine decided that the water had to be very very warm, and I know other kids that have insisted on lukewarm / cool water.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 7:36 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Any chance something happened in the tub? Water was too hot? Got knocked badly by the faucet? Fell into the water?

This happened to one of mine. Turns out she slipped and got scared and then didn't want to bathe for a while after even though she had loved baths. We picked out a new slip guard mat for the bath and some new fun bath things and it's a thing of the past now. Took some time to get to the bottom of it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 7:37 pm
Strep in the house?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 7:50 pm
My 2 year old went through that at around that age, maybe a little older. I think it's pretty common. I gave her some little toys and cups to play with in the bath and I got my husband to help with baths since he's more fun. It was still tough for a month or so but she outgrew it (and I got out of bath duty, so it was win-win).

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:07 pm
It's pretty common at that age.
I once read that they start realizing that the water is going down the drain, and don't yet understand that they don't fit in the drain and won't go along with the water.
Explain that only the water is going down and that they don't fit, because they are too big! And don't let the water fill up or run out while they are sitting in the bath.
(Just googled it and seems like it's a common theory.)
https://www.romper.com/p/why-a.....40543

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:10 pm
Check them for strep...common reason for sudden fears in toddlers/kids/teens of all ages.

Teomima

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:59 pm
Some kids just don't like baths, and that's not an uncommon age for them to start clearly expressing that dislike.

Crayola Bath Dropz have helped us at that stage. I let my child choose the bath color and they get in happily. Sometimes only for a few minutes until the novelty wears off, but that's all that's necessary. A happy rinse is better than a screaming soak.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics