Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Parsha tests

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:50 am
My kids' school doesn't kid a lot of homework, but one thing that irks me is that starting from 4th grade they are expected to take a parsha quiz on Monday. From what I understand they learn parsha on Friday and then are expected to review over Shabbos-Sunday and then take a quiz on Monday. My eldest is the 4th grader and now that Shabbos is starting later by the time we get to the seuda it is late. OR my kids are fighting for attention and my eldest has his own learning issues and isn't interested. When it was the story parshios it was somewhat easy to get him interested in the parsha, but now it is Vayikra and not story and he's supposed to learn like 30 questions. Sunday he likes his "time off" and does not want to hunker down and study. Is this normal? Is the expectation too high?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:43 am
After the clocks change we do not review Parsha sheets on Friday night but rather on Shabbos day, either during dessert (and reward the kids with extra candy for getting the questions right) or in the afternoon during Shabbos party. Try to make it a fun part of Shabbos instead of feeling like homework. It is normal for this age.

cbg

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:51 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
After the clocks change we do not review Parsha sheets on Friday night but rather on Shabbos day, either during dessert (and reward the kids with extra candy for getting the questions right) or in the afternoon during Shabbos party. Try to make it a fun part of Shabbos instead of feeling like homework. It is normal for this age.

This- make it fun
Also break it up in doable chunks, 10 questions at lunch, 10 questions in the afternoon, 10 questions Sunday.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 12:04 pm
Deleted previous posts after rereading OP.

30 questions doesn't sound so bad. Are they obscure or are most of them basic key points?

How many of the 30 questions does your child know off the top of his head on Friday afternoon?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics