Home

Need advice on jobs for men in NJ
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:18 pm
My husband and I currently live in Brooklyn and would love to move to Jersey (Lakewood, Jackson, TR...) The only major obstacle is a job for my husband.

He currently works in the construction field. I know that any company would be thrilled to hire him, as he is a hard worker with plenty of experience.

However, I've heard that it's almost impossible for a frum man to get a well-paying job in the construction world in that area because the frum companies prefer to hire single working boys whom they don't have to pay as much.

Does anyone living in NJ know if this is true or have more information for me? Please help me, as we are so lost and so desperate to get out of our current living circumstances!

If anyone knows of a frum construction company (general construction, plumbing etc) that is looking to hire (my husband is a catch, I promise!) and pays decently, please let me know! Even if you don't know of any companies like this, can you please provide your input on the construction job situation there, because I'm so lost...

Thank you!!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:16 am
No one has any insight on this topic at all? Please let me know if you can provide knowledge on the jobs situation there especially in the construction field! Crying
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:49 am
You should look through the bpweekly and the voice, they have many job ads. See if you can find any construction ones and call. Also he can call up local companies and offer his resume. Sorry I know nothing about the field.
Back to top

amother




Magenta
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:50 am
What does he do? I understand that he is smart and a hard worker but from a financial standpoint, what does he bring to the table?
Typically I see craftsman- licensed plumbers and electrician, their apprentices, and workmen (often undocumented day labors) making minimum wage.
Back to top

amother




Chocolate
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:51 am
Stick “construction” and “Lakewood into the title
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:52 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
What does he do? I understand that he is smart and a hard worker but from a financial standpoint, what does he bring to the table?
Typically I see craftsman- licensed plumbers and electrician, their apprentices, and workmen (often undocumented day labors) making minimum wage.


I know many successful plumbers and electricians. They do not make minimum wage and are born and bred americans
Back to top

amother




Magenta
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:01 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I know many successful plumbers and electricians. They do not make minimum wage and are born and bred americans

You misunderstood. Licensed plumbers and electrician make good money. Very good money. It is others who are not specialists and licensed -the workmen, who do not.
Back to top

pizza4




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:30 am
They can make money, and do. It isn't necessary to be licensed davka in order to be successful. If he's good at what he's doing, he'll have jobs. There's lots of room in the field.
Back to top

Bas Yisrael




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:12 am
I think the title isn’t calling attention so people are missing it. Think of a title that will attract the right people’s attention.
Back to top

amother




Babypink
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:58 am
There’s so much construction going on here all the time. Why wouldn’t he find a job?
He would probably do better if he were to work on his own and hire 1-2 Mexican day workers to help him.
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:51 am
Hi! There are lots of jobs working as a foreman but they aren’t well paying. With your husbands expertise he may be better off branching out on his own. Lakewood construction is always lucrative. But it does take time to break in and find your niche.

So I’m not sure how best to help you. Would your husband want a foreman job? It’s true that it’s a starter job and not well paying.

The money is in being a contractor and that involves starting your own business. he would need to create his own contacts.

What was he doing before exactly?
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:54 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
There’s so much construction going on here all the time. Why wouldn’t he find a job?
He would probably do better if he were to work on his own and hire 1-2 Mexican day workers to help him.

None of the jobs are well paying, unless you’re licensed in something and you’re qualified to work as a supervisor. We went through this with my own husband. He had to work for himself to earn good money.
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No one has any insight on this topic at all? Please let me know if you can provide knowledge on the jobs situation there especially in the construction field! Crying

Why don’t you post exactly what your husband is currently doing? Is he in a supervisory position? I’m not sure what “construction field” means exactly.

You can reach out to all the construction companies. Some of them are growing so fast that they may just want to hire your husband even if he will cost them more.
Back to top

amother




Mauve
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:01 am
Most people would travel every day to their old job until they find a new one.
It’s hard, but I know many who do that.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:18 am
Bas Yisrael wrote:
I think the title isn’t calling attention so people are missing it. Think of a title that will attract the right people’s attention.


Thanks for your reply! Changed the title.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:19 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
There’s so much construction going on here all the time. Why wouldn’t he find a job?
He would probably do better if he were to work on his own and hire 1-2 Mexican day workers to help him.


I keep hearing this answer from people. I guess we'll have to start looking into starting a new business if that's the best (if risky) option.
Back to top

amother




Lime
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:22 am
OP, why can't your husband keep his job in Brooklyn? So many people travel for work, it doesn't pay to give up a good position. DH has never worked local, he travels about an hour each way every day. It's very common.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:23 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Why don’t you post exactly what your husband is currently doing? Is he in a supervisory position? I’m not sure what “construction field” means exactly.

You can reach out to all the construction companies. Some of them are growing so fast that they may just want to hire your husband even if he will cost them more.


My husband is a fire sprinkler mechanic. He works for a major fire sprinkler company and actually physically installs and repairs systems in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan... It's a pretty niched skill that requires training. He was trained in his first year there, and at this point is able to train in his new coworkers.
Is there a frum fire sprinkler company in New Jersey? I tried looking through some weeklys to find an ad but didn't see any mentioned.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:25 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
OP, why can't your husband keep his job in Brooklyn? So many people travel for work, it doesn't pay to give up a good position. DH has never worked local, he travels about an hour each way every day. It's very common.


I heard from so many people that they regret moving while relying on traveling to their old jobs. As is, my husband works long hours and travels. Adding travel time would mean he has to wake up unreasonably early and get home after bedtime.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:26 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
None of the jobs are well paying, unless you’re licensed in something and you’re qualified to work as a supervisor. We went through this with my own husband. He had to work for himself to earn good money.


I'd love to pm you and ask how you went about starting a new business in the construction field, if you're okay with that.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Flower store lakewood nj
by amother
8 Mon, May 10 2021, 9:39 pm View last post
How do morahs get jobs? in NY
by amother
107 Sun, May 09 2021, 11:55 pm View last post
Lakewood men's clothing gmach
by amother
0 Thu, May 06 2021, 4:31 pm View last post
How necessary is a bachelors degree/jobs without.
by amother
20 Thu, May 06 2021, 12:09 pm View last post
Need help with jobs 8 Wed, May 05 2021, 9:58 am View last post