Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tti or other program for premed?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:08 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Medical school is a much a more professional atmosphere and she won't be studying things like "gender studies" when she ultimately gets there. She'll be studying medicine.

Than you for your post, it’s very validating.
Above is what I imagined about a higher level institution; that’s why it’s less of a concern for me than undergrad school with regards to environment.

I still feel bad about having a kid waste 4 years on bachelors.

I went to Brooklyn college myself years ago, and while some classes were definitely useful, most of the undergrad degree requirements are water, and the way the process is drawn out in time is just very sad.

That’s why I was so excited about these express programs: you get your piece of paper that’s required for grad school in a reasonable amount of time...

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:09 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
OP, my sister just got into med school. It was a grueling process,

Yay! Can I ask which school (just OOC, dh is pre med/ MCAT tutor, I love hearing)

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Above is what I imagined about a higher level institution; that’s why it’s less of a concern for me than undergrad school with regards to environment.

I went to Brooklyn college myself years ago, and while some classes were definitely useful, most of the undergrad degree requirements are water, and the way the process is drawn out in time is just very sad.

That’s why I was so excited about these express programs: you get your piece of paper that’s required for grad school in a reasonable amount of time...

I'm saying this for a fact, not for fun.
It is no different in medical school, even if you imagined it would be.
I see this firsthand.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's a valid point. Call up TTI and ask them your questions. I think they keep track of where their graduates end up, so they should be able to tell you if anyone went on to med school.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
It's a valid point. Call up TTI and ask them your questions. I think they keep track of where their graduates end up, so they should be able to tell you if anyone went on to med school.

Graduates of 4 year colleges have a hard time getting into med school, someone with a cute piece of paper isn't going to stand a chance.
Not to mention how are they going to study for the MCAT without the knowledge they need if their not taking real courses in these subjects?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:29 pm
Lol baby pink. I feel ur frustration thru the messages. OP, you’re in the wrong place for this type of question. There are maybe a hand full of people on this site who have updated info on getting into med school. Anyone who does know is just going to waste their energy fighting with anyone who thinks they know. Check out SDN and reddit. Or better yet get in touch with someone who recently got into led school. Many (frum) people would be happy to share their experiences with you..

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Graduates of 4 year colleges have a hard time getting into med school, someone with a cute piece of paper isn't going to stand a chance.
Not to mention how are they going to study for the MCAT without the knowledge they need if their not taking real courses in these subjects?

Maybe so. She can call and find out.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:39 pm
Not sure what is pulling your daughter to Med school but my DH got into a top 25 PA school with a TTI degree. It was not on the East Coast, so they don't know of these types of programs, and they didn't bat an eyelash. They assumed he went to a regular college. He had a 4.0 Science GPA (all from a local community college), and scored in the 98th percentile on his GRE.

Just something to think about as a possible option...

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:49 pm
My niece graduated summa c-um laude from Johns Hopkins with a degree in neuroscience, and did passably well on the MCATs. She got into med school, but not a top one.

While it is "possible" to get into med school from TTI, it decreases her chances. If this is her dream, she should go to the best undergraduate college she can get into.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:55 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
My niece graduated summa c-um laude from Johns Hopkins with a degree in neuroscience, and did passably well on the MCATs. She got into med school, but not a top one.

While it is "possible" to get into med school from TTI, it decreases her chances. If this is her dream, she should go to the best undergraduate college she can get into.

Imo, and like I said I am knowledgeable on the subject-
She doesn't have to go to the best undergraduate college she can get into, but she has to go to a decent undergrad. Her MCAT score and research will have more weight. She needs a solid MCAT score.

finprof

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:13 pm
I'm one of those evil liberal college professors you fear. Sheitel/tichel and skirt wearing as I may be I, staunchly defend gender equality, multiculturalism and diversity. I even (gasp) respect my students pronoun choices! Why would you fear your daughter being exposed to these things? This is the reality we live in! She will face these issues in every day life, why not start now? It is ok to talk to people with different world views. I do not mean to derail this thread but I just wanted to point out that we aren't so bad!

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:15 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Yay! Can I ask which school (just OOC, dh is pre med/ MCAT tutor, I love hearing)

New York Medical College, which is Touro's med school. What's crazy is that even they are highly selective now.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:27 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
New York Medical College, which is Touro's med school. What's crazy is that even they are highly selective now.

Their an MD school.
MD schools are selective, its how it is.

(BTW, I know someone from Touro as well who got into NYMED this year)

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:28 pm
As someone who recently graduated with a bio degree from Touro, and saw a lot of friends go through the process:

You need to be very determined and work extremely hard to make it work. Smarts alone will not get you to med school. Besides for great grades and a great MCAT score, she'll need every card possible to get in-- lots of work experience, volunteer experience, research. To achieve all that, while taking the prereqs and achieving that amazing MCAT score, takes time-- so while you can (and I know lots of people) get your degree with all your premed courses finished in two years in a frum program (with HS/seminary credits/summers)-- you NEED to take longer than that. At the minimum, it will be two years of college, plus a gap year after you're done in which to apply.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

That’s major Party
Good for her! I’m sure it was a ton of hard work!
The hardest part is over! Should be with lots of Mazal!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:59 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Not sure what is pulling your daughter to Med school but my DH got into a top 25 PA school with a TTI degree. It was not on the East Coast, so they don't know of these types of programs, and they didn't bat an eyelash. They assumed he went to a regular college. He had a 4.0 Science GPA (all from a local community college), and scored in the 98th percentile on his GRE.

What’s the difference between an md and pa?
What *can* pas do?

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:01 pm
Purple, can you please PM me. My DD is looking at colleges and wondering about the classes at Touro. She will likely be a Bio major and doing something in the health field. Would you mind private sharing your experience with me?
Thank you.
If anyone else recently graduated from Touro having taken a lot of Bio/Chem.... and wouldn’t mind sharing their academic experience with me, I would very much appreciate.

Last edited by BatyaEsther on Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

What degree did your husband get from tti; and what’s PA pay and hours/how compatible with frum woman lifestyle?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:42 pm
Quote:
What degree did your husband get from tti; and what’s PA pay and hours/how compatible with frum woman lifestyle?

A BA in Liberal Arts

A PA can do basically everything a dr can do, but they have to be "supervised" by a dr. Each state has different laws about what that supervision means.
Starting salary is about $100,000 plus benefits but that can widely vary by state and setting.
Hours are full time until you have more experience, but down the line part time would definitely be an option.

One of the hardest things for DH was/is issues with Shabbos that come up. A PA doesn't really have the heterim that a dr has with regards to Shabbos.

I would also talk to PAs and really learn the differences between that and medical school. The PA education is much more broad, you don't specialize in anything. This was actually a downside for DH. He likes to focus in on one area of learning and really analyze things. He would have benefitted from choosing a speciality in medical school and delving into that. With PA that level of knowledge only comes after years of learning on the job.

So bottom line I think you need to explore the profession more, but I wanted to put it out there as an option

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is this for your dd?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics