Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tti or other program for premed?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:47 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Is this for your dd?

It is for dd.

And me, having had standard college education, grand academic and career plans, which I gave up for the sake of having family, and by now having some life experience, am trying to figure it out so I can guide her Smile)))

Which math test did you dh take for his degree? Dd is in a mood for studying, may as well take the right test.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:55 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Their an MD school.
MD schools are selective, its how it is.

(BTW, I know someone from Touro as well who got into NYMED this year)

Are they in Touro Flatbush and a current student there? Or someone who took a gap year?

Yes, it's their MD school. I assume that when people say premed, they're referring to MD and not DO.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:46 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Are they in Touro Flatbush and a current student there? Or someone who took a gap year?

Yes, it's their MD school. I assume that when people say premed, they're referring to MD and not DO.

Premed is the same for MD and DO, if u don’t get the MCAT scores you want or your GPA is not high enough you might apply DO in hopes of staying in the US and still becoming a doctor ...

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:54 am
My daughter is in the new seminary-reb Bulka for nursing. It is accelerated. 3 years instead of 4 (including seminary) she’s graduating with her bsn at 20.5 in May. It is through Adelphi university. They also have 3 np tracks. Definitely a worthwhile investment if your concern is the environment of a young frum girl

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:20 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

Touro Flatbush, but I don't know if they have their gap year.

Most people who are applying to both (even with solid MCAT scores(!) apply to both MD and DO schools. It's not worth the risk of not getting into any MD school, and waiting another cycle.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:21 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
My daughter is in the new seminary-reb Bulka for nursing. It is accelerated. 3 years instead of 4 (including seminary) she’s graduating with her bsn at 20.5 in May. It is through Adelphi university. They also have 3 np tracks. Definitely a worthwhile investment if your concern is the environment of a young frum girl

It's not a worthwhile investment for a premed student

ETA 1) as was previously mentioned she needs a decent undergrad to stand a chance to get accepted to med school 2) bulka is a larger investment than other undergraduate programs

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It is for dd.

And me, having had standard college education, grand academic and career plans, which I gave up for the sake of having family, and by now having some life experience, am trying to figure it out so I can guide her Smile)))

Which math test did you dh take for his degree? Dd is in a mood for studying, may as well take the right test.

If she wants to become a doctor, then becoming a PA might just be squashing her dreams.
None of dh friends would have been satisfied with that.
As a matter of fact, I know someone who went to PA school, was already working as a PA and is now in medical school, finally realizing her dream to become a dr.

As parents, we want our children to learn from our life experiences, but we also have to remember to allow them to make their own mistakes.
It's not like she wants to waste time in undergrad earning credits and then she'll decide her major, she knows she wants to become a dr, so those years in undergrad will be working towards that goal, and if she actually DOES change her mind she will still have a bachelor's degree.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It is for dd.

As a PA or MD or nurse she will have to learn cultural sensitivity towards gay and transgender which seems to be your biggest concern.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:29 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Lol baby pink. I feel ur frustration thru the messages. OP, you’re in the wrong place for this type of question. There are maybe a hand full of people on this site who have updated info on getting into med school. Anyone who does know is just going to waste their energy fighting with anyone who thinks they know. Check out SDN and reddit. Or better yet get in touch with someone who recently got into led school. Many (frum) people would be happy to share their experiences with you..

Yes and yes.
I do feel like im wasting my energy, but I can't sit by idly with this level of misinformation.
SDN and reddit are a goldmine, you can find everything from people who are currently at your stage to people who are up to the application process and people who just finished it etc etc but it can get overwhelming so its easier to reach out to frum ppl who have been there done that recently

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:47 am

Most people who are applying to both (even with solid MCAT scores(!) apply to both MD and DO schools. It's not worth the risk of not getting into any MD school, and waiting another cycle.

Ye, was just responding to “when your say you’re premed it’s referring to MD, not DO” like I said. A lot of misinformation.

There are people who only want MD, in which case they will take that risk of not getting in and having to strengthen their application and reapply..

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:53 am
Yes and yes.
SNIP
its easier to reach out to frum ppl who have been there done that recently

It’s happened that people who know dh and I or our parents and have a child who’s interested in medicine, they will tell their DD or DS to reach out to my husband. A bunch of times already, dh had 1 conversation with them and they decided to give it up and pursue CRNA or NP .. cuz the process can be so grueling and demoralizing and after 4 years of undergrad, there’s still a chance you might not get in, or will have to move far or even to Israel. A lot of people aren’t willing to make that sacrifice..

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:00 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
OP, my sister just got into med school. It was a grueling process, coming from Touro with a top GPA and pretty high MCAT score, plus medical experience and a bunch of extracurriculars. So far, she is the only premed student from the Touro Flatbush applicants to have been accepted (as far as she knows). Med school applications are up by 20%. Who knows if it's a trend or a temporary pandemic stat, but either way, it's REALLY hard to get in, even with top grades.

As other posters mentioned, don't take any shortcuts at all. Taking any CLEPs or doing an accelerated degree looks bad to schools. My sister's classmate had a similar GPA and higher MCAT score but was waitlisted. My sister suspects that part of the reason is that this girl is only 21 (my sister is a few years older) and has done everything in a rush. (Another big factor might have been the interview.)

My sister is a pediatrician (for lots of years) and she got her undergrad degree from Touro. Agree it's a grueling process. you have to have top MCAT's scores, top grades, etc...and not shortcuts, you actually have to have been in college for a number of time to get in, from what I remember. And even with that, if the interviewer doesn't "like" you, forget it.

ETA I have a niece who is currently doing her undergrad, and wants to go to PA school. Also Touro.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:10 am
Wife of husband currently in a fellowship - we have been married since undergrad so I’ve been with him every step of the way!

We applied for medical school way back in 2008 (good lord we’re old lol) and he’s still not finished yet 🙈 the process was grueling and I can only imagine it’s much harder now.

A few points:

1- my husbands mix of random credits from Israel + one college + another college to get all his premed courses was a mess. We didn’t know any better at the time but it definitely hurt him tremendously. We ended up getting in but after being waitlisted and it was very hard on both of us. He did have a great MCAT score though. If your DD is really serious about medical school, she needs to go to an actual 4 year college.

2- this is a personal pet peeve and it sounds from your OP that this is a big issue for your family, so I will try to stress how important this is: do NOT become a physician if you want to keep an isolated frum lifestyle. Your daughter will be in class with men and women from all lifestyles. She will be exposed to every sort of human there is, she will be working on Shabbat, she will be intimately touching male patients. She will hear language far from her BY schooling. Shabbat-friendly residency’s are few and far between, getting rarer, and almost impossible to get. If she’s a sheltered BY girl at the moment but you think she can handle it, four years in a regular college is a great way to get acclimated.

3- Your DD should not go to medical school in a another country (Israel or the Caribbean). Residency’s are getting harder and harder to get and foreign grads are at a significant disadvantage.

If after knowing all that (and that’s just the tip of the iceberg) she still seems gung-ho, start looking at her college choices now. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
As a PA or MD or nurse she will have to learn cultural sensitivity towards gay and transgender which seems to be your biggest concern.

You’re mistaken. I never said this was a concern, never mind the biggest concern.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:43 am

I guess my understanding of norms is a bit different since my sister was not interested in DO school. She preferred to wait another cycle.

This was one thing she also didn't understand before she applied--when people say, "I got into med school," they could just as easily be talking about DO school as MD. That's why it was even harder than she thought to get into MD school; she had heard it casually from people in the past, but it must have been mostly DO school that they were referring to.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I guess my understanding of norms is a bit different since my sister was not interested in DO school. She preferred to wait another cycle.

Ye. So dh is tutor/mentor idk what to call it . He reviews people applications and tries to help them get it.
So this very much varies. A lot of people start out only wanting MD, so people are very persistent and stick with it. Others choose to be more flexible bec they aren’t bothered by DO, since a lot of the time DOs can get into great competitive residency’s/ fellowships if they score well on step 1 (and take the MD step) and step 2

I’m writing is a bit incoherent sorry

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:06 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

This was one thing she also didn't understand before she applied--when people say, "I got into med school," they could just as easily be talking about DO school as MD. That's why it was even harder than she thought to get into MD school; she had heard it casually from people in the past, but it must have been mostly DO school that they were referring to.

I hear.
People usually apply to both even as a backup plan, because being a re-applicant lowers your chances even more.. that's why it's important to have a strong CV and be a strong applicant the first time around. (Eta: and if you feel your app isn't strong enough, to rather wait another cycle, than apply, not get accepted, and be a reapplicant..)

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Ye. So dh is tutor/mentor idk what to call it . He reviews people applications and tries to help them get it.
So this very much varies. A lot of people start out only wanting MD, so people are very persistent and stick with it. Others choose to be more flexible bec they aren’t bothered by DO, since a lot of the time DOs can get into great competitive residency’s/ fellowships if they score well on step 1 (and take the MD step) and step 2

I’m writing is a bit incoherent sorry

But those days are over... step 1 is pass/fail for anyone entering med school now.
DO students will definitely be at a significant disadvantage compared to their MD counterparts because of that.

Batsheva1

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:08 pm
Their an MD school.
MD schools are selective, its how it is.

(BTW, I know someone from Touro as well who got into NYMED this year)
Is Touro's medical college an MD school? My understanding is, it's a DO school.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:15 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
Is Touro's medical college an MD school? My understanding is, it's a DO school.

They're an MD school.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics