Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tti or other program for premed?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:51 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
Is Touro's medical college an MD school? My understanding is, it's a DO school.

Touro actually has multiple medical schools.
There are at least 5 I can think of right now
In NY, There's Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine In Harlem and Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Middletown, both DO schools. There's also NY Medical College in Westchester. They also have DO schools in Las Vegas and in California.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You’re mistaken. I never said this was a concern, never mind the biggest concern.

So what are your biggest concerns about college being not “kosher” and too liberal?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:35 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Touro actually has multiple medical schools.
There are at least 5 I can think of right now
In NY, There's Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine In Harlem and Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Middletown, both DO schools. There's also NY Medical College in Westchester. They also have DO schools in Las Vegas and in California.

So as I said, my sister got into NY Medical College, an MD school.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:14 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Not sure what is pulling your daughter to Med school but my DH got into a top 25 PA school with a TTI degree. It was not on the East Coast, so they don't know of these types of programs, and they didn't bat an eyelash. They assumed he went to a regular college. He had a 4.0 Science GPA (all from a local community college), and scored in the 98th percentile on his GRE.

Just something to think about as a possible option...

You don't take the GRE to go to med school; you take the MCAT.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:35 pm
My daughter would like to get her PYSD. She will be graduating with her Baclors is Psychology at age of 20. She is currently interning and the other interns had a hard time understanding "how".

Best advice DD was given was to wait 1 year before applying to Grad school. They will be harsh on her during the interview process if she is to young. (We received first hand information from someone that witnessed this happen to a frum girl, who was then not accepted to the program)

amother
Red

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My daughter would like to get her PYSD. She will be graduating with her Baclors is Psychology at age of 20. She is currently interning and the other interns had a hard time understanding "how".

Best advice DD was given was to wait 1 year before applying to Grad school. They will be harsh on her during the interview process if she is to young. (We received first hand information from someone that witnessed this happen to a frum girl, who was then not accepted to the program)

I would agree, as my DD is 20 and a Sophomore at Binghamton - a Sophomore only because she got credit for her year in Sem. Her friends who are at Stern Honors also got credit, but those at MIT, Maryland, Rutgers, U of P, and Barnard did not and are freshman with 3 more years to go. They are all working hard taking 14-18 credits which is a full time course load and additionally working jobs or internships, or extracurricular activities to further their CV. If you were to speak to any of them, they would tell say that she worked the system and clearly did not accomplish what they set out to accomplish. If she she took many more classes all at once, they were not sufficiently strenuous-as there is no way that she could carry 2x the workload that they do, that she didn’t put the same hours or effort into her internship (we all know there are places that will sign off without you showing up for a significant amount of time or where you go, but instead of actually working and learning, you can sit on the side and do homework or talk on the phone.)
Your DD may be very smart and a PSYD may be a great fit for her, she may have the interpersonal skills and inherent bina for it to be a perfect fit, but how can that not be treated with antagonism. It feel like you (not you personally, but the collective you who utilize this system) are manipulating and cheating the system, taking shortcuts and thinking that you are more privileged to follow traditional pathways.

FYI, for all you who think that it’s because of CLEPS, I have no idea what they are. I know that APs are not given until Senior Year, they are limited to 4 APs max, and they are really, really hard. BC Calc, AP Physics... It is usually not recommended to take more than 3, and most people do not get 4/5 in all the ones they take, and a 3 may exempt you from a prerequisite, but does not give you credit.
Just for reference, these girls were walking out of HS with 6 on average credits and to explain the playing field, almost all had SAT scores of over 1450 /ACT scores of over 32 (2 getting 35) -so this is not an unintelligent (friend) group of children. (Nor is it indicative of her entire grade).

This is reminding me of the thread where someone Sade that without a degree or college of any sort, she works part time in an office and makes 95K- I think most of us approach that with a combination of skepticism (of the situation not that we think she is lying) and feeling like there is something not right going on as why should we not all have such a sweet deal as well if it is so common place and readily available. Nobody should need a degree, nobody should be poor, and nobody should be stressed for time trying to balance.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 3:58 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
You don't take the GRE to go to med school; you take the MCAT.

She was talking about PA school.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:47 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I would agree, as my DD is 20 and a Sophomore at Binghamton - a Sophomore only because she got credit for her year in Sem. Her friends who are at Stern Honors also got credit, but those at MIT, Maryland, Rutgers, U of P, and Barnard did not and are freshman with 3 more years to go. They are all working hard taking 14-18 credits which is a full time course load and additionally working jobs or internships, or extracurricular activities to further their CV. If you were to speak to any of them, they would tell say that she worked the system and clearly did not accomplish what they set out to accomplish. If she she took many more classes all at once, they were not sufficiently strenuous-as there is no way that she could carry 2x the workload that they do, that she didn’t put the same hours or effort into her internship (we all know there are places that will sign off without you showing up for a significant amount of time or where you go, but instead of actually working and learning, you can sit on the side and do homework or talk on the phone.)
Your DD may be very smart and a PSYD may be a great fit for her, she may have the interpersonal skills and inherent bina for it to be a perfect fit, but how can that not be treated with antagonism. It feel like you (not you personally, but the collective you who utilize this system) are manipulating and cheating the system, taking shortcuts and thinking that you are more privileged to follow traditional pathways.

FYI, for all you who think that it’s because of CLEPS, I have no idea what they are. I know that APs are not given until Senior Year, they are limited to 4 APs max, and they are really, really hard. It is usually not recommended to take more than 3, and most people do not get 4/5 in all the ones they take, and a 3 may exempt you from a prerequisite, but does not give you credit.
Just for reference, these girls were walking out of HS with 6 on average credits and to explain the playing field, almost all had SAT scores of over 1450 /ACT scores of over 32 (2 getting 35) -so this is not an in intelligent (friend) group of children. (Nor is it indicative of her entire grade).

This is reminding me of the thread where someone Sade that without a degree or college of any sort, she works part time in an office and makes 95K- I think most of us approach that with a combination of skepticism (of the situation not that we think she is lying) and feeling like there is something not right going on as why should we not all have such a sweet deal as well if it is so common place and readily available. Nobody should need a degree, nobody should be poor, and nobody should be stressed for time trying to balance.

My daughter took College level classes in HS. She spend her entire 12th grade studying. She did the honor program as well. She received over 20 credits, the most anyone got her year.

She also went to seminary and graduated with credits. She got her Bachelors in psyc from a Jewish program, many of her teachers were college professors. Some of them informed the students that they were taking the same test and recieved the same assignments as their college class.

My daughter had a very heavy workload. All her friends that went the traditional route, college or work, have lots of time to hang out. They complain to DD that she is anti social.

Dd got an internship, clearly yad hashem was involved. No one there knows how she was offered an internship without going through the proper process. Dd applied and didn't receive any contact back. One day she gets an email that they have a slot starting the next week. Thank you Hashem. Bh her work allowed her to cut her hours. All interns in there get placed into multiple graduate schools. They write an amazing reference letter.

I cant see everyone doing this . It takes alot of discipline. My dd had classmates in the frum program drop classes, due to the tremendous workload.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:24 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
So as I said, my sister got into NY Medical College, an MD school.

There was a poster was saying she thought tours med school was DO and you answered no it was for MD, I'm saying touro has both...

bruriyah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:04 pm
I did not read the whole thread so just answering the original post. TTI would be a waste of time for someone considering med school. I’m graduating medical school now and starting my residency in July. I do a lot of premed coaching, both formally and informally. Feel free to PM me.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My daughter took College level classes in HS. She spend her entire 12th grade studying. She did the honor program as well. She received over 20 credits, the most anyone got her year.

She also went to seminary and graduated with credits. She got her Bachelors in psyc from a Jewish program, many of her teachers were college professors. Some of them informed the students that they were taking the same test and recieved the same assignments as their college class.

My daughter had a very heavy workload. All her friends that went the traditional route, college or work, have lots of time to hang out. They complain to DD that she is anti social.

Dd got an internship, clearly yad hashem was involved. No one there knows how she was offered an internship without going through the proper process. Dd applied and didn't receive any contact back. One day she gets an email that they have a slot starting the next week. Thank you Hashem. Bh her work allowed her to cut her hours. All interns in there get placed into multiple graduate schools. They write an amazing reference letter.

I cant see everyone doing this . It takes alot of discipline. My dd had classmates in the frum program drop classes, due to the tremendous workload.

The frum programs and CLEPs are much less rigorous than a good college. There’s a reason it’s so much quicker.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:28 pm
bruriyah wrote:
I did not read the whole thread so just answering the original post. TTI would be a waste of time for someone considering med school. I’m graduating medical school now and starting my residency in July. I do a lot of premed coaching, both formally and informally. Feel free to PM me.

Do you mind sharing how going to a 4-yr college and then medical school worked out with your frum woman lifestyle?
Things like shidduchim, marriage, plans for family life. Did you support yourself while in undergraduate and medical schools?

bruriyah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you mind sharing how going to a 4-yr college and then medical school worked out with your frum woman lifestyle?
Things like shidduchim, marriage, plans for family life. Did you support yourself while in undergraduate and medical schools?

All great questions that I would be happy to answer. But I will probably not have the time to write it out all on this forum. PM me! And btw I glanced through the thread quickly and most of the advice given so far is on target.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics