Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o fat shaming. Poll re size to see what average REALLY is
  Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next

What size do you wear?
0-2 or below  
 6%  [ 41 ]
4-6  
 19%  [ 132 ]
8-10  
 19%  [ 127 ]
10-12  
 18%  [ 120 ]
14-16  
 15%  [ 106 ]
16-18 or above  
 20%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 663

dorothy1

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:12 pm
Poll aside the average American woman is a size 18. This is based on the whole country. I don’t think Jews are thinner than gentiles overall.

So I’m gonna say the average Jewish lady is around a size 18.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Yes that is exactly what I brought up above. I am an XL in Macy's, Marshall's, nordstrom but 1x/2x in jewish stores. Like what?

Not surprising. I have a 12 yr old with a barely 23" waist and zero hips and sometimes the XS adult size in frum stores is too small on her. If it doesn't fit her who the heck does it fit?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:18 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Not surprising. I have a 12 yr old with a barely 23" waist and zero hips and sometimes the XS adult size in frum stores is too small on her. If it doesn't fit her who the heck does it fit?

Well up until age 25 my waist was 19 inches so there you go.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:25 pm
dorothy1 wrote:
Poll aside the average American woman is a size 18. This is based on the whole country. I don’t think Jews are thinner than gentiles overall.

There is no way the average Jewish lady is a size 18. Maybe because lakewood has younger people? There’s barely anyone over a size 12.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:28 pm
dorothy1 wrote:

I'm the OP of the original thread.
If the Average Jewish Woman is a size 18, then who buys all the clothing in the Lakewood stores.
Why can I only think of 2-4 stores that I can buy size 18-22 clothing. Not 4x. 20.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
There is no way the average Jewish lady is a size 18. Maybe because lakewood has younger people? There’s barely anyone over a size 12.

I live in lakewood I'm a size 20. I have 5 close friends all above size 16. I noticed in my daughter's school the average size is size 14. I was shocked to see so many non stick people in one room. So maybe the newlyweds in your basement area are all skinny but in my circle of friends and neighbors that's not the truth.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:45 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I live in lakewood I'm a size 20. I have 5 close friends all above size 16. I noticed in my daughter's school the average size is size 14. I was shocked to see so many non stick people in one room. So maybe the newlyweds in your basement area are all skinny but in my circle of friends and neighbors that's not the truth.

I’m 35

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I'm the OP of the original thread.
If the Average Jewish Woman is a size 18, then who buys all the clothing in the Lakewood stores.
Why can I only think of 2-4 stores that I can buy size 18-22 clothing. Not 4x. 20.

They have a small clientele and the rest of us lakewood people are not happy about the lack of stores. But we are not the minority here. Maybe we can raise more awareness and get stores to care about us.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:15 pm
dorothy1 wrote:

It makes sense that the average of frum women is lower. It's not scientific but it does seem that the frum population is smaller in general (also in height)

Regardless.
Let's say the average is a 16. or ok a 14. Mayyyyybee a 12.
You'd STILL never guess that by looking at what frum stores offer. They offer tons of clothes in sizes 0-10 and then it goes downhill.

If a 12 or 14 is average there should be just as many above that as below. So there would be 16,18,20,22,24 just as there is sizes 10,8,6,4,2, and zero. And decent options. And a variety. Instead looking at their selections you'd think the size 16 or 18's are the EXTREME outliers when they are definitely not regardless if they are actually the "average" of frum women or not.

They are certainly no less minority than the size zero or 2 women. And yet their options are EXTREMELY limited. There's no excuse for that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:18 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:

are you a size 16 or above? Based on your comment I'm guessing you are not and therefore you are blissfully oblivious.

It's time to open your eyes. The average may not be an 18, perhaps it's 16 or 14 or even a 12 but it is most certainly NOT a 6 which is what the selection in the stores would have you believe.

Yes younger people. In Lakewood.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:24 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

yup. When you're skinny and you don't struggle with this, it's easy to think that noone does.

The lady that's 16 or 18 or 20 (yes your newlywed friend!!) may carry herself really well, dress great and so you think nah she's for sure not that size. Meanwhile she comes on Imamother venting that she can't find what to wear.

Open your eyes. Start asking people if you really want to know.

It's not something you'll hear in a casual conversation often because many people are embarrassed. We not only deal with not being able to find clothing, but also with the shame that comes along with that. We know what people will be thinking when we say that no stores carry our size. "just diet, lose weight, it's your own problem."

We don't look for more judgement, we have enough. But I can promise you there are more of us than you think.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
are you a size 16 or above? Based on your comment I'm guessing you are not and therefore you are blissfully oblivious.

It's time to open your eyes. The average may not be an 18, perhaps it's 16 or 14 or even a 12 but it is most certainly NOT a 6 which is what the selection in the stores would have you believe.

Yes younger people. In Lakewood.

After having 3 kids ka”h, I was able to lose weight down to 137 lbs at 5’4 but I was still a size 12.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:48 pm
I agree!! It was so depressing to go shopping before pesach! I ended up finding 2 tops in size large in same company that fit! I am really an xL/1X. I am 5'7" so I carry the weight. I would love to lose 30 pounds. Easier said than done. Mid 30's, between 5-9 kids. Then I needed a skirt. Found an XL skirt that fit, just! It feels a little tight when I wear it but looks good. Need to lose 10 pounds in order for it to fit comfortably.
I realized many people over 35 are heavier. Although there are some naturally thin people.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oops I see I included 16 twice. Not sure if I should edit that and make 18 on its own? or 14 on its own?

Oh and10 is also twice. Whoops!

gonna report thread and see if mod can change it to be like this: (though what happens with responses that are there already?)
0-2 or below
4-6
8-10
12-14
16-18 or above

I'm a 16 the difference between a 14 and 16 is 2 inches and the difference between a 16 and 18 is four.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:57 pm
I thought this was interesting:
https://wallethub.com/edu/fatt.....10532

I maintain it’s all very regional and there are parts of America where most people are overweight and parts where most people are not. I have first hand experience with this - my dh is the average size for Ohio, but some stores in NY don’t even carry his size in store! (Not talking about Jewish stores)

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:03 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I thought this was interesting:
https://wallethub.com/edu/fatt.....10532

I maintain it’s all very regional and there are pets of America where most people are overweight and parts where most people are not. I have first had experience with this - my dh is the average size for Ohio, but some stores in NY don’t even carry his size in store! (Not talking about Jewish stores)

Yes but even the thinnest city is majority overweight!!! We are deluding ourselves if think most frum women are a size 4 (even after having multiple kids !!! )

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Yes but even the thinnest city is majority overweight!!! We are deluding ourselves if think most frum women are a size 4 (even after having multiple kids !!! )
no not a 4, but a 10? 12? I don’t know, most women in the teen - 40 age range don’t look plus size to me.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:08 pm
12-14. Over 25 with 4 kids KA"H.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:22 pm
no not a 4, but a 10? 12? I don’t know, most women in the teen - 40 age range don’t look plus size to me.

I an 5'5 and around 160 lbs (would like to be around 140) in my early 30s.

I bought skirts in Lakewood last summer, and was shocked to be a size 16!!!
The 14s were a little too tight to be comfortably tznius for me, and the 16s were a little loose.

In Lakewood, I'm a L in tops. At tj maxx/kohls, I'm a L or M, and they run looser than frum styles.

But, I don't look obese, nor do I look thin. I look pretty normal. Just a little overweight learning.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:54 pm

Again, I was 137 lbs and 5’4 and wore a size 12.
Not everything above 8 is “fat”. I wouldn’t consider a woman 150 lbs to be fat even if by the letter it’s overweight.
Page 2 of 13   Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next Recent Topics