Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Plz help me calm down (teenager) UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:37 pm
When people throw up that's how they feel. They don't have energy to walk home and just want to sleep. This is typical and not alarming. Have you ever thrown up? Has anyone in your house every thrown up? Also poor him that he suffered so long because he was afraid of your reaction. He might never complain because he can't deal with the anxiety that comes along with it. That doesn't mean that he never feels sick. I think it's important to make your home safe for your children to be able to share how they feel with you. Only because you asked for help, I'm going to suggest therapy to deal with your severe anxiety. I think it will help all of you.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:38 pm
DH had this few times he has a sensitive stomach so when gets a stomach bug he is literally out cold for 12-24 hours and does nothing besides using the bathroom and daven if I get lucky some tea but basically sleeps through I wouldn't worry at all sounds like a stomach bug to me

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
When people throw up that's how they feel. They don't have energy to walk home and just want to sleep. This is typical and not alarming. Have you ever thrown up? Has anyone in your house every thrown up? Also poor him that he suffered so long because he was afraid of your reaction. He might never complain because he can't deal with the anxiety that comes along with it. That doesn't mean that he never feels sick. I think it's important to make your home safe for your children to be able to share how they feel with you. Only because you asked for help, I'm going to suggest therapy to deal with your severe anxiety. I think it will help all of you.

No no no. He doesn't not call me because he's afraid of my reaction. He really never feels sick. I'm not talking abt an occasional headache. I was that type of kid. In my 4 yrs of high school I was home only 2x because I never got sick. My kids can't hide from me when they're not feeling well. I see it on their nose the minute they're under the weather.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's one thing if he comes home and tells me he's not feeling well and that he threw up and took Tylenol. It's another thing when he calls to be picked up cuz he can't walk home the 5 min walk. He is a non complaining kid. If if he wouldn't tell me anything. His face said it all. He was to weak and had no patience for anything. All he wanted was his bed. I'm not talking abt a typical teenager. He's 15 going on 20. Full of spunk, energy, and life. And now he's just the opposite.

I hear you.
And people get sick. Could be a virus. Let him sleep. And you’ll see how he is in the morning. Refuah shleima.
Get an early night yourself. With an extra tehillim.
You will check on him and keep him hydrated. Neither of you should be stressed. Thats the worst.
Refua shleima

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:54 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I hear you.
And people get sick. Could be a virus. Let him sleep. And you’ll see how he is in the morning. Refuah shleima.
Get an early night yourself. With an extra tehillim.
You will check on him and keep him hydrated. Neither of you should be stressed. Thats the worst.
Refua shleima

He's not stressed. I am. He says he's allowed to not feel good once in a while. He's right. But the way I see it is: an adult, nice and tall, hardly ever sick. So when he does get sick I worry why.
I guess I'll have to just calm down one way or another.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's really mad. He's like the Dr said I don't even have fever. Then I had a little chat with him and come to find out he took Tylenol in yeshiva 5 hrs before that. The kid would never take Tylenol if he wouldn't be really sick. I was mad at him why he didn't call me. So he says I would make him come home. He's right on that. You bet I'd have him come home. Whatever now I'll have to worry the night out till I can see my regular Dr tomorrow (if he doesn't disappear to yeshiva before I realize).

A 15 year old can take tylenol without asking permission or telling his mother. You are infantalizing him. Try to work on yourself to let him be. Kids get sick. That’s life.
Why does he need his regular doctor?
You took him to urgent care already. Wait it out a few days unless something alarming happens.

happy chick

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:03 pm
First, relax and take a deep breathe. Good chance it's a virus and even if it is an infection of some sort, he'll be fine till morning.
He's an adult who can verbalize if something isn't right, unlike a baby who is stuck in a crib and can't speak.
Make sure, though, that he drinks so he doesn't get heydrated. Best is a drink w electrolytes, like powerade.
Refuah shleima. I hope he wakes up feeling much better.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:32 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
A 15 year old can take tylenol without asking permission or telling his mother. You are infantalizing him. Try to work on yourself to let him be. Kids get sick. That’s life.
Why does he need his regular doctor?
You took him to urgent care already. Wait it out a few days unless something alarming happens.

Because a regular sees things differently than an urgent care Dr. Some urgent care drs are pas with not much experience. I took him basically for a throat culture. I'll see tom. If he's not feeling better I want my regular experienced Dr to see him. I'm not waiting a few days. That's so not me. The only time I waited was when my baby was fevering and I knew it's a tooth. I knew once the tooth cuts through the fever will go away. I never ever wait more than 24-30 hrs of fever.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:39 pm
Do you run to the dr every time a kid seems sick? Are you one of those moms?? Learn to loosen up a bit. Kids get sick. They get viruses. All kinds. Even those who barely get sick. It happens. Nothing deadly about it. Leave a water bottle and something to use in case he needs to throw up again near his bed and let him sleep. When someone isnt feeling well they need a lot of sleep and some water. He’ll be better tomorrow iyh. Not worth killing a good night sleep worrying!!! Sleep well

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:20 am
flowerpower wrote:
Do you run to the dr every time a kid seems sick? Are you one of those moms?? Learn to loosen up a bit. Kids get sick. They get viruses. All kinds. Even those who barely get sick. It happens. Nothing deadly about it. Leave a water bottle and something to use in case he needs to throw up again near his bed and let him sleep. When someone isnt feeling well they need a lot of sleep and some water. He’ll be better tomorrow iyh. Not worth killing a good night sleep worrying!!! Sleep well

I do. I know I have to loosen up.
He's not sleeping peacefully. He keeps on waking up trying to throw up. He has fever but refuses to take Tylenol and is very nauseous.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do. I know I have to loosen up.
He's not sleeping peacefully. He keeps on waking up trying to throw up. He has fever but refuses to take Tylenol and is very nauseous.

There’s nothing a dr can do for a stomach bug. It makes you feel awful and then it passes. It’s totally 100% normal. Just try to keep him hydrated and give him his space. Everyone gets sick once in a while.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:32 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
There’s nothing a dr can do for a stomach bug. It makes you feel awful and then it passes. It’s totally 100% normal. Just try to keep him hydrated and give him his space. Everyone gets sick once in a while.

That's if it's a stomach bug. He's 15 with 102. I believe it's something more than just a stomach bug but I might be wrong.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:38 am
Possible strep.
Op try to stay calm it’s normal to feel sick once in a while.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:46 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Possible strep.
Op try to stay calm it’s normal to feel sick once in a while.

That's what I keep on thinking it is. What should I do that I keep on thinking 15 yr old with 102 is just not a stomach bug.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:47 am
Does his abdomen hurt? Does his abdomen hurt more when he lays on his back and lifts his knees up? If so, I'd go get his appendix checked. Otherwise it totally sounds like a flu or virus.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's not stressed. I am. He says he's allowed to not feel good once in a while. He's right. But the way I see it is: an adult, nice and tall, hardly ever sick. So when he does get sick I worry why.

I would worry more with a kid who gets sick the whole time. Getting a virus of some sort once a year is great b"H.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:48 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Does his abdomen hurt? Does his abdomen hurt more when he lays on his back and lifts his knees up? If so, I'd go get his appendix checked. Otherwise it totally sounds like a flu or virus.

None of the above.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's if it's a stomach bug. He's 15 with 102. I believe it's something more than just a stomach bug but I might be wrong.

Okay, so I’m 29 and just had a stomach bug. Those symptoms are classic. You don’t need to freak out or run to the dr. Adults and teens get fever too.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:08 am
I just had strep and it was so bad I thought it was Corona. Felt fine in the morning, by 3pm I had chills, fatigue, fever over 102. Was in bed for an entire day. It happens.

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Nice tall adults get sick every once in a while.
As do nice short adults. And not-nice adults of every height range.

Calm down.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics