Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Chassidishe bochurim and cell phones
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:27 pm
sequoia wrote:
Who is doing the beating?

Precisely what I was thinking.

Hope it’s hyperbole
Though if you’re using that expression there must be a reason

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
My very successful brother was in Chester Yeshiva....totally not a last option, coming from Shea Nachman Berger.
Maybe things have changed since then, it was a while back.

Chester has many good boys.

Ok, it is nota knak like Alexander or Nypest but still a good yeshiva and they have good caliber boys.

The boys there in general are a bit more with it than the UTA or Queens boys.
Its a bit more open minded so to speak.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:32 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Chester has many good boys.

Ok, it is nota knak like Alexander or Nypest but still a good yeshiva and they have good caliber boys.

The boys there in general are a bit more with it than the UTA or Queens boys.
Its a bit more open minded so to speak.

It's normal mainstream chassidish and not chanyukish like Alexander, Tosh, or Noam Elimeilech which basically draw an extremely frum crowd.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:36 pm
sequoia wrote:
Who is doing the beating?

No one

In my son's yeshiva (15 year olds) there was a boy that had a smartphone and the principal heard about it so he approached the boy.

The boy told him it is not true you can check me.
The boy mentally promised 100 dollars for Reb Mayer Bal Hanes and the principal didn't check him or checked and pretended not to find it.

In any case that boy didn't bring it anymore and it was settled but no- no beatings.

If beating would help things would've been much easier.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:37 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
It's normal mainstream chassidish and not chanyukish like Alexander, Tosh, or Noam Elimeilech which basically draw an extremely frum crowd.

Alexander isn't extremely frum. Alexander has a lomdishe learning style.

Chester doesn't have that style.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:38 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Alexander isn't extremely frum. Alexander has a lomdishe learning style.

Chester doesn't have that style.

Different crowds need different styles. According to other mainstream chassidish yeshivas, Chester is mainstream and Alexander is more frum and rigid.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:41 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Different crowds need different styles. According to other mainstream chassidish yeshivas, Chester is mainstream and Alexander is more frum and rigid.

Not going to get into this here

The point is that Chester is a balbatishe yeshiva with more with it boys and a cellphone wouldn't be discouraged but it doesn't mean the boys aren't good.

They have good boys there.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:44 pm
I guess the question is what “more with it” boys mean to you.

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:52 pm
delete

Last edited by nchr on Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:59 pm
delete

Last edited by nchr on Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:04 pm
Cool it!

Let me describe my boys phone situation:

It serves an alarm clock in the am (wakes me up each morning boo hoo)

It stays on their beds during the day (I know this to be true because shame on them they never ever make their beds)

They come home - shame on the yeshiva- 9:30 at night

And chill a bit with mr. kol mivaaser- I know this to be true because I’m treated to this glorious monotone on speaker each evening and receive an analysis thereafter.

And sometimes a chavrusa calls. I know this to be true because there’s a certain shproch that only another teenage boy can understand and only a mom can find endearing.

Enjoy your phone dear son of mine! You have so little material pleasure, I’m happy for this little distraction after you work so hard all day.
Keep doing what your doing (but make your bed sometimes, hear?)

qwerty4

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:06 pm
nchr wrote:
So I discussed this with a few people, but it doesn't matter what their answers are since you'll say I only know "farfrumte" people, even though I don't consider them to be "farfrumt" etc. They both were surprised to hear that cellphones are "mainstream" and don't think boys from the yeshivas I mentioned would have cellphones. They did say that unfortunately, probably 70-80% of girls do have cellphones after school (maybe more if you keep in mind how many people are secretive) but that it is not everyone. Maybe I automatically passel everyone as a "type," but I'm not the most extreme fringe person out there. It sounds almost like the same way I'm willing to try to "broader" my "look" that you need to all agree to do the same the opposite direction as well. A few other posters who are not even part of my circles or community also mentioned their teenage girls do not have cellphones, but of course that is ignored.

I would love to know who you are. Most of my family live in KJ and I cannot think of a single person who has those views and would also post on Imamother (I'm not trying to disqualify you, I don't find your being online as an anomaly, but I do find your views on many topics very very extreme).

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:06 pm
nchr wrote:
So I discussed this with a few people, but it doesn't matter what their answers are since you'll say I only know "farfrumte" people, even though I don't consider them to be "farfrumt" etc. They both were surprised to hear that cellphones are "mainstream" and don't think boys from the yeshivas I mentioned would have cellphones. They did say that unfortunately, probably 70-80% of girls do have cellphones after school (maybe more if you keep in mind how many people are secretive) but that it is not everyone. Maybe I automatically passel everyone as a "type," but I'm not the most extreme fringe person out there. It sounds almost like the same way I'm willing to try to "broader" my "look" that you need to all agree to do the same the opposite direction as well. A few other posters who are not even part of my circles or community also mentioned their teenage girls do not have cellphones, but of course that is ignored.

Asking respectfully:
Why is it unfortunate for a teenage girl to have a dumb phone? What is happening that isn’t right? Is it the phone? The shmoozing? The independence?

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:08 pm
I don't understand - people who have cellphones for children 7th grade and up.
You're paying for 5 phones every month that are only used during bein hazmanim (when your bucherim should be learning anyways, but let's say your boys aren't the type) or when your kids are in grocery? Why are you wasting your money on this? Or is it one family phone that everyone is using?
What in the world could a 7th grader be needing with a cellphone? I don't even understand what an 18 year old needs with a cellphone, but let's leave that aside. Do you make your children pay for it themselves? How do they have money? I know bucherim somehow always have money, but that aside, why would you waste money on this and why do you think they need it?
I'm asking this respectfully because I am really confused.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:10 pm
nchr wrote:
It has literally been declining for the last 10 years.
Is your brother 30+?
I'm sure the boys that go there are the way they are because we need people like that in the world as well and the rosh yeshiva has a soft spot to them, but it is not a typical boy and definitely not for "chassidishe" bucherim.

Chester Nitra is a typical chassidish yeshiva for typical chassidish boys. Chassidish boys outside of your extreme bubble are typical mainstream chassidish boys.
Also, it's not unfortunate for working girls to have a phone. Once a girl goes out to work, it's a necessity and she needs it for her safety.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:11 pm
Safety?
If they’re in a dangerous situation, they call you and you pick them up.
Isn’t that what every parent tells their kids: “if you’re in an uncomfortable or bad place, call me.”

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:11 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
I would love to know who you are. Most of my family live in KJ and I cannot think of a single person who has those views and would also post on Imamother (I'm not trying to disqualify you, I don't find your being online as an anomaly, but I do find your views on many topics very very extreme).

I don't belong on the internet. Simple. And my family BH doesn't have internet. Happy to be the only sinner here.
And btw there are people here who have these views, it is just not "cool" to share them so they aren't and I'm too stupid to stop.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:12 pm
[quote="nchr"]I don't understand - people who have cellphones for children 7th grade and up.
You're paying for 5 phones every month that are only used during bein hazmanim (when your bucherim should be learning anyways, but let's say your boys aren't the type) or when your kids are in grocery? Why are you wasting your money on this? Or is it one family phone that everyone is using?
What in the world could a 7th grader be needing with a cellphone? I don't even understand what an 18 year old needs with a cellphone, but let's leave that aside. Do you make your children pay for it themselves? How do they have money? I know bucherim somehow always have money, but that aside, why would you waste money on this and why do you think they need it?
I'm asking this respectfully because I am really confused.[/
Deleted if not respectful!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:14 pm
nchr wrote:
I don't understand - people who have cellphones for children 7th grade and up.
I'm asking this respectfully because I am really confused.

A kosher זך phone is $25 for setup, and $100 for 1500 minutes for a year.
(Or $25 per month unlimited.)
It's cheaper than many other gadgets you might get for your kids.
(Also many people had to get a few during Covid homeschooling situation.)

Progress. One at a time. At least you admit that around 80% of girls have phones.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:14 pm
nchr wrote:
I don't belong on the internet. Simple. And my family BH doesn't have internet. Happy to be the only sinner here.
And btw there are people here who have these views, it is just not "cool" to share them so they aren't and I'm too stupid to stop.

I don't know what it will take for you to realize that your views are extreme and not mainstream chassidish. I don't think many posters here share those views.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children