Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Need help with putting 6 year old to sleep

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:24 am
My six year old puts up a fuss every single day regarding getting ready for bed and going to sleep. I start on time but she just procrastinates and sulks for so long that it takes so long. I feel like I need to educate her as to why going to sleep on time is important.

Any tips on what to include in this conversation?
Any good books that I could read to her to explain?

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:28 am
My five year old used to procrastinate a ton too. I read her a story every night and if she wastes too much time or is silly or doesn't get herself ready, she gets one warning and then loses the story. It is very, very motivating for her! Maybe try some incentive associated with bedtime to get things moving.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:10 pm
My six year old is finally k'ah getting better at sleeping. For him its 1000% fear and anxiety related. Once I got a handle on his mood his sleep improved a lot. I would take a collaborative approach and have a discussion about what is getting in her way of going to sleep. Is it fear? Is the room uncomfortable? Is she not tired? I would do that before having a discussion about sleep habits.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:12 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My six year old is finally k'ah getting better at sleeping. For him its 1000% fear and anxiety related. Once I got a handle on his mood his sleep improved a lot. I would take a collaborative approach and have a discussion about what is getting in her way of going to sleep. Is it fear? Is the room uncomfortable? Is she not tired? I would do that before having a discussion about sleep habits.

she just wants to stay up as later as older siblings and play, thats all, bH

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:15 pm
If its FOMO I would play up what fun stuff she can do the next day, try to relate to the fact that she feels that shes missing out on something exciting. Empathize and validate her feelings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics