Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Oral Immunotherapy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:18 pm
Hi,
I'm looking for information about OIT programs in the US. I started doing research but there are many facilities with different requirements so I want to hear from people who have been through the program.
My main questions are whether the programs work well with kashrus requirements and if there are any allergens that could not be worked on due to kashrus issues (I know some programs dose with non kosher milks before dosing with cow's milk, for example. )

SashaT

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:49 pm
We are doing a program that does pose challenges with kashrus. I believe that that is unique to the SoCal food allergy Institute. We consulted with our Rav and got the go ahead to use this program as it was the best fit for us and allergies are life threatening. They have a different approach to oral immunotherapy that we felt was safer for us. I know of other frum families who have used them as well. I have a special food prep area in the basement for the non kosher food (at this point milk). That said, most other OIT programs should not present this sort of kashrus challenge.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:57 pm
SashaT wrote:
We are doing a program that does pose challenges with kashrus. I believe that that is unique to the SoCal food allergy Institute. We consulted with our Rav and got the go ahead to use this program as it was the best fit for us and allergies are life threatening. They have a different approach to oral immunotherapy that we felt was safer for us. I know of other frum families who have used them as well. I have a special food prep area in the basement for the non kosher food (at this point milk). That said, most other OIT programs should not present this sort of kashrus challenge.

Thank you for this information. I'm looking into the SoCal program as well since my child is very young and has other related allergic conditions, both issues that are contraindicated with many other programs.
If you live out of state and your insurance is covering the treatment, did you have a hard time getting your insurance to approve the charges?

SashaT

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for this information. I'm looking into the SoCal program as well since my child is very young and has other related allergic conditions, both issues that are contraindicated with many other programs.
If you live out of state and your insurance is covering the treatment, did you have a hard time getting your insurance to approve the charges?

I think it differs with different insurances. The major insurance hurdle for us was lab work because it is out of network. There’s also the travel from the East Coast. You can PM for specific questions if you would like to.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:19 am
Does this work for sesame allergy? I am anaphylactic to sesame and would love to find a way to get rid of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics