Home

Investing Money
Previous  1, 2

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Wine

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 11:02 pm
Safest investment is real estate. As the saying goes “G-d not making more of it”. Use money for down payment on cheapest house you can afford. Let the bank and a tenants pay off the rest.

amother

Lavender

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:51 am
bsy wrote:
Do it yourself by paying for a subscription to investment groups. The motley fool is about 100 a year I think and the returns are much higher than the s and p

You need to know what you’re doing for that to work.
Talking from experience.
I think an S&P 500 index fund is the safest option with the highest return.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:03 am
Throwing it out there, we've been successful just using the Robinhood app. It's all self-directed but you're not paying anyone to do it for you. I have a Vanguard ETF in there along with many others. It's hard to go wrong sticking with ETFs / mutual funds and letting it grow passively over time.

amother

Lavender

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:07 am
icedcoffee wrote:
Throwing it out there, we've been successful just using the Robinhood app. It's all self-directed but you're not paying anyone to do it for you. I have a Vanguard ETF in there along with many others. It's hard to go wrong sticking with ETFs / mutual funds and letting it grow passively over time.

The thing with Robinhood is that it’s really easy to buy and sell and you can end up making silly decisions.
But if you stick to the funds within Robinhood with maybe some well researched individual stocks mixed in, you’ll probably be fine.
You just need to be very levelheaded.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
The thing with Robinhood is that it’s really easy to buy and sell and you can end up making silly decisions.
But if you stick to the funds within Robinhood with maybe some well researched individual stocks mixed in, you’ll probably be fine.
You just need to be very levelheaded.

Yes, that's a really good point. They actually have been criticized for making the app feel "gamified" because the experience feels like a mobile phone game in some aspects. It's super easy to tap-tap-tap and bam, you just spent $10k. You definitely need to be level-headed and not get caught up in impulsive decisions, which is why I like to dump it in something like Vanguard and then walk away.

EMEN

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:39 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Can you elaborate why you are saying specifically FZROX and not any of the other funds?

FZROX is an index fund that tracks the total market. It has no expense ratio and no minimum investment.
VTSAX is Vanguard's equivalent and it's great but there is a 3K minimum to start and has a small expense ratio.

amother

Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Safest investment is real estate. As the saying goes “G-d not making more of it”. Use money for down payment on cheapest house you can afford. Let the bank and a tenants pay off the rest.

Perhaps, but it's not liquid. You can't count on converting it to cash on demand.
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h