Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O middle class vent
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you make over 60k?
Yes- degree  
 46%  [ 77 ]
Yes- no degree  
 27%  [ 45 ]
No - degree  
 25%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 164

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:11 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Frum ppl do pay very well for good workers. Lakewood salaries are way above the country average for many jobs. Especially with experience.

I make "way above the country average," $27/hr. Country average for office job is $15 an hour.
I find it hard to believe someone is getting close to 100k for 18-20 hours a week. That's almost $100 an hour.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:15 am
I am so confused about these part timeline office jobs making >50K. Do you have magic powers? A special secret skill? Work for someone who is very generous? Is this the nature of things in Brooklyn and Lakewood? All my friends who work in offices make about 20-25/hour and have limited job flexibility.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:33 am
$20 an hour working in an office in Lakewood. I work 9-5. It's my second year here.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:35 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Op, your going to hit a ceiling and that’s it.
You can’t go up any more. 65,000 for almost a full days work 9-3 is not a lot of money.
Most people with a real degree have more earning power. They’re not stuck working as a secretary or doing office work

I’m not capped at all. I’m very valuable to my company and really help the growth. If I were to work more hours I can make 65k if I keep at my hours I’m at a steady minimum of 5k raises a year....

I also help out other companies at nights and am totally not capped there at all.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
What in the world are you talking about?
I live in Brooklyn.
No one I know working in medical billing makes $38 an hour.

ETA- I thought you wrote 60K.
In any case, it comes out to $32 an hour.
By the time a woman reaches that salary, she has 3 kids and usually doesn't work anymore.
It's hard to get a job for short periods of time in between babies.
Therapists have their own schedules and can work for a year and then stop for a year.
No office will hire someone with that kind of record.

This is a typical Lakewood salary. And women do work here basically forever.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Do you work in a frum office? How long have you been there? Are you super efficient?
Real world -per GlassCeiling, medical billers typically make between $14-21/hour. Assuming $20/hour, full time, you are at just over 40K. And as per them and Ziprecruiter, the average salary in NYC is $36K.

You do realize heimish statistics work a bit differently?
No degree, 30h a week 70-75K. I feel I have way more earning potential. Not davka at the place I'm now, but in general. I'm chassidish, in my circles, a woman working a number of years, has a pretty high earning potential. (Supply and demand...)

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:31 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
No degree, 30h a week 70-75K. I feel I have way more earning potential. Not davka at the place I'm now, but in general. I'm chassidish, in my circles, a woman working a number of years, has a pretty high earning potential. (Supply and demand...)

Wow. Need any coworkers? Smile
I am smart, responsible, and have ten years of work experience. Located in Lakewood.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Wow. Need any coworkers? Smile
I am smart, responsible, and have ten years of work experience. Located in Lakewood.

Oh, and just to tease you a bit further, my kids are in a huge chassidish Mosed so my tuition bill is under 5k....
Lakewood would be the disadvantage. Chassidish places sometimes look to hire specifically Chassidish women who are nuanced with our culture. Not to young, as in out of school, and not those who married off all their kids. Hence higher paygrade Very Happy as I said, supply and demand at play.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:41 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Oh, and just to tease you a bit further, my kids are in a huge chassidish Mosed so my tuition bill is under 5k....
Lakewood would be the disadvantage. Chassidish places sometimes look to hire specifically Chassidish women who are nuanced with our culture. Not to young, as in out of school, and not those who married off all their kids. Hence higher paygrade Very Happy as I said, supply and demand at play.

I'm sure you didn't intend to come across this way, but I found your post to be hurtful to me.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I'm sure you didn't intend to come across this way, but I found your post to be hurtful to me.

You're right, I really didn't mean to hurt you. Ok, to make you feel better, it comes with a package deal you realize? (shaving, no driving etc... Wink )

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

So you're saying that on average, chassidish people earn more than most people.

I'm very relieved to hear that most chassidish families are on sound financial footing.

Maybe they can share the secrets of their success with other frum communities where the poverty rates are sky high.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I work in an office capacity. My friends in medical billing all make over 50k working 9-3/3:30..

Similar situation here. I don't have a high school diploma, basically a high school dropout, and earn over 90K now 10 years later.
My "educated" colleagues with their fancy degrees earn a quarter of what I do.

Hard work is hard work.

imaima

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:04 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
No, but working in a school setting means everything to me. Vacation days when the kids are home, working only during school hours. That’s a luxury that those without degrees don’t normally have (unless they’re a teacher, which is not a job I could do)

This os worth a lot. This way you don't have to overpay for a nanny and can spend time with the kids.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:15 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

I'm very relieved to hear that most chassidish families are on sound financial footing.

Maybe they can share the secrets of their success with other frum communities where the poverty rates are sky high.

In a frum family the money doesn’t stretch as far.
A secular family with one kid in public school on 160k salary is doing well.
A frum family with 6 kids in private school and Out lifestyle (yom tov, kosher food) earning 160k is struggling.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:21 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Wowowow! I did not see that coming. We were talking about chassidish FEMALES in upper 20s-low 40s having a higher earning capacity within the community than other places. How did we get to most chassidish families being on sound financial footing? Most women dont work. You realize that?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:27 pm
But to say that this is normal and that it is a waste to get a degree-across the board, is a falsehood. You are in a special circumstance or it is specific to your community.

I will also say that if this is the case in Chassidish communities and everyone had the ability to do this, I am unclear as to why Kiryas Joel is considered to poorer city. I would hope people are declaring their income, working as they are physically able and yashar as they are tzanuah.

I will say right away that I don’t live intown and that I am no Chassidish, but based on everything that I see on this site, and this site is my only source of info as I do not come with any preconceived bias or information, things do not always seem to add up.

ces

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:32 pm
But to say that this is normal and that it is a waste to get a degree-across the board, is a falsehood. You are in a special circumstance or it is specific to your community.

I will also say that if this is the case in Chassidish communities and everyone had the ability to do this, I am unclear as to why Kiryas Joel is considered to poorer city. I would hope people are declaring their income, working as they are physically able and yashar as they are tzanuah.

I will say right away that I don’t live intown and that I am no Chassidish, but based on everything that I see on this site, and this site is my only source of info as I do not come with any preconceived bias or information, things do not always seem to add up.

I'm not Chassidish, but I feel like you're missing her point. Thanks to multiple factors (cultural norms, large families, less mobility/not driving) Chassidish women are more likely to be stay at home mothers. This creates a supply and demand issue for employers who want a Chassidish female employee, which raises average compensation for this demographic. If all or most women in those communities worked, the supply would go up and compensation would fall.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:35 pm

I'm not sure who you are referring to here in regards to getting a degree.
In regards to the second part of your post, 98% of the women in Kiryas Joel dont work. (hence the higher pay for women who do)

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:39 pm
OP, I think different people have different strengths. And also, to some people not everything is about money. Some people are passionate about doing what interests them.

I have a DD who is going for a degree in psychology. Her plan is to go into social work. Some therapists do very well, but some people, it can take years. But this is what she wants to do. It interests her. And she isn't interested in doing what her Mom does (computer programming - I have a degree, but people do it now with just taking a course....)

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:44 pm
Quote:
but we gloss over the toll it takes on the children.

Puke This is so offensive. I was home when my kids were very little and my husband was struggling to start a budding career. It was an incredibly stressful time period with huge expenses and financial strain. I would never have been able to afford the expenses of older children on his one income.

Now, BH I earn a very high salary in a global tech company, and even though my husband's first career never took off, my family lives comfortably, without month to month financial stress.

Imagine the toll on my children if I was divorced because the emotional toll if financial strain and unable to pay for therapy? Imagine the toll of I didn't work, and there wasn't enough to go around?

Actually, I don't even want to imagine. I can just enjoy seeing my children thrive with responsible role models and a warm and caring, and equipped, home environment. Puke Puke
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics