Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much of a raise can I ask for?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 11:58 am
I'm an office manager in a small office in lakewood. I'm making a decent salary right but haven't gotten a raise in almost 2 years. recently I've really been keeping the office going in terms of fixing other workers issues, training in new workers etc. Its all part of my job description.

the thing is I really am the 'supervisor'. I get the feeling that most others in my type of position are making a lot more money than I am currently. but, they def may work harder then me. (work a bit longer hours, answer emails all evening etc)

because of the type of business that it is, my boss is not rolling in money at all. How do I know how much of a raise I can ask for? I can really use the money but don't want to push it. I don't' want to be gypped either...

I really don't have anyone in the same type of position that I feel comfortable asking what the norm is...

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:01 pm
You're getting paid hourly or salary?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:04 pm
Is 5% doable for your boss?
It doesn’t sound much per hour
But it does add up
Especially if your happy their which it sounds like you are, and that’s priceless

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:06 pm
I get paid salary. I'm very happy here and my boss is happy to (I run the place for him!)

how do I figure out how much of a percentage to dollar amount is? what would 5% be if I currently make about 60k?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I get paid salary. I'm very happy here and my boss is happy to (I run the place for him!)

how do I figure out how much of a percentage to dollar amount is? what would 5% be if I currently make about 60k?

About 3k more. I think you can ask for a little more than that if you haven't had a raise in 2 years. I'd ask for 6k and negotiate from there.

mom!

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:26 pm
I would ask him straight. I’ve been doing this and that I truly feel like I earned my raise however I know the company is going through a hard time, let me know what works for you.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:29 pm
Are you full or part time?
I think you can ask for 5-6, but be prepared to accept less.

I asked for 5 but they offered 2500. Inaccepted that and will ask for more next year beezrat Hashem.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:30 pm
mom! wrote:
I would ask him straight. I’ve been doing this and that I truly feel like I earned my raise however I know the company is going through a hard time, let me know what works for you.

it's actually not hard times at all. the company is doing well. its just the type of service we offer that there's no money rolling all over the place. really its too bad. I put effort and do a really good job in my position so it shouldn't matter to me how much profit my boss is making. but I love my job and I don't want to ask for too much and not be realistic...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:32 pm
I'm hearing that this type of position normally pays at least 15k more than I'm getting now. I'm for sure not asking for that. I was thinking of asking for 8k. you think that's crazy?

remember I have the most senior position here...

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:34 pm
I think it depends on how many hours you work per week.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm hearing that this type of position normally pays at least 15k more than I'm getting now. I'm for sure not asking for that. I was thinking of asking for 8k. you think that's crazy?

Are you full or part time? For full time what you're getting is good. For part time it's way above average.
I am also the most senior person there. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how senior you are... you have a $ "value."

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can ask for that but be prepared to be told much less. Whatever number they give, come back with a counteroffer that's in the middle but closer to what you asked for.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
You can ask for that but be prepared to be told much less. Whatever number they give, come back with a counteroffer that's in the middle but closer to what you asked for.
So she may as well ask for 15 and end up with 8.

PearlyGee

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:46 pm
I was coached and so far it worked in my benefit I told my boss I feel I deserve a raise as you know I took on more and didn't get a raise in close to 3 years with my experience etc I think I'm worth more what do you feel I am worth I will be happy with your decision I trust you and understand you know the industry better (I git more that I could've have the guts to ask, he felt more obligated)

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 12:51 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
So she may as well ask for 15 and end up with 8.

Yes and no. If she asks completely over the top, they'll just say a flat-out no. She has to know what their max most likely is and go up from there.

Perhaps $10-11K is a good idea. Go up 35% more than the number you really want.

Read "Never Split the Difference." It's a good book.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:01 pm
If you want to see real bargaining in action, go to YouTube and watch "Pawn Wars".

People bring things in to sell at a pawn shop, and they think it's worth $$$$. The expert does an appraisal, and tells him it's worth $$$. The shop owner says "I need to be able to turn a profit on this" and offers $. The seller says $$! and they go back and forth until either one of the parties walks away, or they get a handshake and make a deal.

It's tons of fun to watch, and they bleep out all of the occasional swear words. Watch it with your kids.

My favorite line of the series so far, "This is an insult to the Pez community!"

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:11 pm
How long have you been working for the company and what was your starting salary? That makes a big difference. If you started two years ago and never got a raise, I would consider it chutzpah to ask for $8,000 more. If you have been working there for 10 years and feel that you are integral to the company's operations, that puts you in a different position to negotiate if you are in fact underpaid (which I am not sure you are as we still don't know how many hours you work).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:39 pm
I'm a bit confused by the responses. so 8k is WAY to much to ask for? the employees under me are all getting like $2500 raises yearly.

I don't want to give too many details but I was the first employee here. I started off the company and made it into what it is today with the help of my boss.

I work 6 hours a day but I put in extra time at night to respond to emails etc. (no one else here does that)

all the other employees here work pretty much the same hours as I do.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:40 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
How long have you been working for the company and what was your starting salary? That makes a big difference. If you started two years ago and never got a raise, I would consider it chutzpah to ask for $8,000 more. If you have been working there for 10 years and feel that you are integral to the company's operations, that puts you in a different position to negotiate if you are in fact underpaid (which I am not sure you are as we still don't know how many hours you work).

I did get a really large raise almost two years ago once we hired more employees and I 'moved up in position to be on top of them. but since then I've been doing even more for the company as well.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the responses. so 8k is WAY to much to ask for? the employees under me are all getting like $2500 raises yearly.

I don't want to give too many details but I was the first employee here. I started off the company and made it into what it is today with the help of my boss.

I work 6 hours a day but I put in extra time at night to respond to emails etc. (no one else here does that)

all the other employees here work pretty much the same hours as I do.

Your boss started the company with your help.
You can ask for what you want. Just because you manage employees doesn't mean you'll get a raise that's triple theirs but that doesn't mean you can't ask esp if you haven't gotten one in two years.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics