Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Kid's Sneakers $$$$?????
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:48 pm
Do people really buy $120-$410 sneakers?
I checked out a local shoe store's website and I'm shocked by the prices. I guess there is a clientele for it if they carry it. Never mind that the most expensive brand sneakers look purposely worn out and dirty Rolling Eyes
I hope my girls' friends don't get into these mishegasin...

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:49 pm
And if they do. Is your budget dictated by your daughter's friends?

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:52 pm
No way. The most I have ever spent was 70 but a typical pair is closer to $50. I get geox mostly on amazon. I have never taken my boys to a shoe store. The though of it makes me panicky.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:54 pm
It’s like ppl buy unreturnable shoes on ali express site unseen for $200 bec it copies a brand.

I buy adidas on Amazon for $35.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:58 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Of course not, but I prefer my girls have friends who aren't into these stupidities.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 3:13 pm
Everything is stupid. At wits end

I wish the frum economy had a better way to sustain itself than these dumb trends and overboard materialism.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 3:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of course not, but I prefer my girls have friends who aren't into these stupidities.

It's the parents purchasing the shoes, not the kids. I assume. So let your kids be friends with those kids and you can make your own judgments about the mothers who spend that much when you are considering friends for yourself.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:17 pm
Just do you. Buy what's pleasing to the eye to you and your kids within your budget.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:06 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Unfortunately for some people the answer is yes.
My daughter does not want to be different than her friends. She wants the same styles their all wearing.
If I can find off brand online for cheaper she doesn't mind but she wants it to look the same.
I try my best to accommodate because I don't want her to feel inferior or "less than" her pairs even if it's in her own head

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:25 pm
The important thing is to raise your children with values that won't be swayed by trendy sneakers, or whatever is the "thing" this week.

Let them be proud of having their own flair, of not being a sheep, and being able to think for themselves. They should be attracting friends based on their personalities, not by the labels on their clothes.

This goes for boys, girls, and parents too!

And I don't want to hear "Easier said than done." Nobody promised you that parenting would be easy. Kids want what they want. It's up to you to give them the wisdom to see beyond what the latest "cool kids" are wearing.

Teach them the value of money. Get them involved a little bit in the family budget if you need to, and tell them how much things cost. With little ones, you can give them a dollar, and let them loose in the candy store. Be patient, while they run back and forth between the aisles, trying to see how much nosh they can get for a dollar. They will change their minds several times before they are ready to decide.

With older kids, show them "I can get you X designer brand for this much, or I could get you these nice shoes that are half the price, and have enough left over to get you new Shabbos shoes as well." As long as you keep these discussions going, your child will start to understand that fancy sneakers do not just fall off of trees, and beautiful dresses don't just suddenly appear in the closet.

Another thing that helps, is to get them actively involved in donated usable but outgrown clothing to a gemach, homeless shelter, or other worthy cause. They need to realize that other people have less than they do, and they need to see it in a really tangible way.

Besides, when you child appreciates what they have, not only are they nicer people, but it's easier to "treat them" when you feel like they've done something to deserve it.

Kids who expect everything, are never happy with anything, and cannot be pleased in the end.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:26 pm
We could easily afford it, but we do not shop anywhere near that range.

For an older teenage girl or young adult boy who's likely finished growing, I would be open to buying a high quality pair of sneakers for $120 with the expectation that they would last at least 2-3 years.

But spending $120 on sneakers that will be outgrown in a year for a 10 year old or $300 on sneakers ever for anyone is something I have no interest in.

If my child wants to spend their own earnings on $400 sneakers, I would put in my unsolicited two cents but I wouldn't stop them. I even think it would be fair to give them the smaller amount that I would have otherwise spent towards their goal, maybe $50-75.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:17 am
mha3484 wrote:
No way. The most I have ever spent was 70 but a typical pair is closer to $50. I get geox mostly on amazon. I have never taken my boys to a shoe store. The though of it makes me panicky.

And I thought the op was going to say $70 is a lot. LOL
I recently spent about that on a pair of sneakers for my son and thought that was a lot.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:22 am
People spend on what they deem important.

These candlesticks are available for $1.49 at Hobby Lobby,

But I'll bet no one here would have been excited to receive them as a kallah, because she didn't want to be a "sheep" owning silver, crystal, or even brass like the other kallahs, and was "proud of having [her] own flair," and "being able to think for [herself]." In fact, perhaps any time anyone mentions any other type of lechter, we should demand that they go to Hobby Lobby, and shame any other choice by telling them that "they should be attracting friends based on their personalities, not by the labels."

My kids wear their sneakers every day. Yes, to school. And they participate in athletics. Well-fitting sneakers are important to me, and stylish ones are important to them. When they were younger, we tried to keep it under $80, but that rarely happens anymore. The teens are given a spending cap of $120, and allowed to supplement it with their own money (they usually do).

Wearing good sneakers isn't a character flaw. Any more than wanting a nice lechter (I use brass candlesticks that belonged to my grandparents), to put your kid in a nice Shabbat outfit (we never spent much when the kids were young, its not something "done" in our community) or anything else. Why do people here need to belittle others in order to support their own decisions?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:27 am
SixOfWands wrote:

But I'll bet no one here would have been excited to receive them as a kallah, because she didn't want to be a "sheep" owning silver, crystal, or even brass like the other kallahs, and was "proud of having [her] own flair," and "being able to think for [herself]." In fact, perhaps any time anyone mentions any other type of lechter, we should demand that they go to Hobby Lobby, and shame any other choice by telling them that "they should be attracting friends based on their personalities, not by the labels."

My kids wear their sneakers every day. Yes, to school. And they participate in athletics. Well-fitting sneakers are important to me, and stylish ones are important to them. When they were younger, we tried to keep it under $80, but that rarely happens anymore. The teens are given a spending cap of $120, and allowed to supplement it with their own money (they usually do).

Wearing good sneakers isn't a character flaw. Any more than wanting a nice lechter (I use brass candlesticks that belonged to my grandparents), to put your kid in a nice Shabbat outfit (we never spent much when the kids were young, its not something "done" in our community) or anything else. Why do people here need to belittle others in order to support their own decisions?

So your kids are buying well-fitting, comfortable sneakers because it works for and is a priority for your/their lifestyle, including the activities they participate in. This expense is one you have prioritized over other expenditures.

Not because someone decided an arbitrary brand that is beyond their parents' budget is the "must have" for this season.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:48 am
Chayalle wrote:
So your kids are buying well-fitting, comfortable sneakers because it works for and is a priority for your/their lifestyle, including the activities they participate in. This expense is one you have prioritized over other expenditures.

Not because someone decided an arbitrary brand that is beyond their parents' budget is the "must have" for this season.

I've no doubt that there is peer pressure in some of the style selection. But yes, we prioritize shoes.

I'm just tired of anyone who prioritizes different things being mocked and belittled as "sheep."

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:51 am
What I can't fathom is spending money, any amount, especially $300-$500!!! on golden goose sneakers that look worn out and ragged. I'm literally scratching my head over this. I don't get it.

mizle10

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:51 am
SixOfWands wrote:

The Jewish stores are not selling good quality athletic sneakers. They’re “italian” junk shoes with some white rubber on the bottom. Think venettini sock shoes for $140.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:54 am
mizle10 wrote:
The Jewish stores are not selling good quality athletic sneakers. They’re “italian” junk shoes with some white rubber on the bottom. Think venettini sock shoes for $140.

Venettini sock shoes run between $52-$75 in the local stores. Same for other brands.

mizle10

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:56 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Venettini sock shoes run between $52-$75 in the local stores. Same for other brands.

I live in Montreal. They are $139 plus tax over here.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:58 am
mizle10 wrote:
I live in Montreal. They are $139 plus tax over here.

Why? That is crazy!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics