Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher down the coast from NY to FL?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:13 pm
Wondering if there are any cities/communities along the way - close to I95 with kosher food. Googled Richmond and Raleigh thinking surely a pizza shop might turn up. Nothing. Anything on route at all once we're out of NY? I can pack sandwiches and stuff for our road trip, but it would be nice to find stuff along the way if it exists.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:18 pm
What about Baltimore?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:32 pm
A friend of mine once left FL to drive to NY immediately after pesach with no food packed.
They are Makpid on CY and PY so can’t buy much prepared stuff. But they were sure they’d find something.
They drove for miles through areas were most of the ppl had never met a Jew and were so ecxited to meet ppl of the Bible.
So other then fresh produce and drinks there was very little for them to eat.

rae

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 4:34 pm
There’s kosher restaurants in Baltimore and Atlanta Georgia.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:18 pm
Yeah, thank you. I should have mentioned I've been to Baltimore and Atlanta many times and I know what's available there. I was looking for more of a midway stopping point, hoping there was something - anything - available as we head down through VA, NC, SC just to not eat quite so many PBJs along the way. Smile

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:28 pm
No restaurants in those places, but you could possibly reach out to Chabads there and see if they offer catering/take-out services, as many Chabads do. Otherwise you can take double-wrapped meals from Pomegranate or Mealmart that just need to be reheated, presumably in your hotel room.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:49 pm
There's a great kosher place in Norfolk, VA, or at least there used to be.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:59 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
There's a great kosher place in Norfolk, VA, or at least there used to be.

Norfolk is not on I-95. It's about 1.5 hours out of the way on an already really long drive from NY to FL.

Mountain Rose

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:02 pm
I’m pretty sure there is a kosher restaurant near I95 in Ormond beach in north Florida. I forgot the name of it though.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:20 pm
What about Jacksonville?
And Orlando is 3 hours north of Miami if that’s your final destination

raleighima

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:49 pm
I'm not sure it's worth the distance from I-95, but for Raleigh:

1) there is a Food Lion supermarket with a small kosher section at the corner of Strickland and Falls of Neuse. It has CY dairy, kosher meat, some frozen Meal Mart Meals, frozen bourekas, a small bakery section etc.

The Wegmans in Raleigh also has a frozen pizza, though I can't remember if it is CY or not, as well as some refrigerated kugels and knishes, frozen egg rolls, and usually has some whitefish salad.

2) The Chabad of Raleigh has 1-2 caterers in the community that use their kitchen; they might be able to prepare the food in advance and you could heat it up in the kitchen.

Sadly, Raleigh and Durham just don't have the population for kosher eateries. We were ecstatic this year when we finally got KfP baby food at the Food Lion I mentioned above. Best of travels!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics