Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What would you do if you were me?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

cbsp

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 1:39 pm
Oh, and I was just reminded of this :

There's a handyman that services our area who calls himself "The Kosher Handyman" - IIRC his name is Rick Gonzalez.

The first time we used him I asked him about it, joking that Rick Gonzalez is not exactly the name I think about when I'm thinking of a typical Jewish name. He very seriously answered that in fact there is strong historical data that shows that Gonzalez has Jewish roots, that there are many families with that name and can prove they are descendants of conversos.

Not saying that the case with your name, but every name has a story and a history.

pinkpeonies

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:55 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Tag is not a business, they’re an organization. And they have an agenda. They aren’t always helpful.

I absolutely did not have that experience. They couldnt care less what I wanted unblocked! They didnt question me or make me feel bad. They just did what I asked matter of factly.
And yes, they have an agenda, which is try to keep ourselves as kadosh as possible. They still dont judge or question you. EVER

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 4:44 pm
Hi all. I’m done cooking for shabbos BH

So the thing about forgetting the bt/convert part
I’m not sure if I can do that. Like another poster said I do have needs and wants that regular FFB Jews don’t usually have.

I still cook my mothers food but with kosher ingredients/substitutes. My husband says it’s way better than the frum food lol. He also BH loves anything spicy. So in a way I am still kinda attached to my culture. For sure there are Mexican Jews! So I use YouTube for recipes, I don’t really use any other site cuz I can barely read Spanish or a non-Latino makes it and it comes out NOTHING like I grew up with lol. Also I do learn and follow along better watching videos
But I also use YouTube to wind down there are plenty clean channels with no crude or dirty language but they are tricky to find.

Although, I do wish that every app has a passcode for me to access so children won’t get into it.

About the kid using a fingerprint. The story I heard translated to me was that a teenage boy wanted to use his mother’s phone. So when the mother was sleeping he got her finger and unlocked the phone that way.

For any kid to do that they’d have to be reaaaally tech savvy or smart. I think Face ID is so much better. Idk if I can put in a second passcode (to verify it’s me, for example I could use HashemnFarfel573 as the second passcode and no kid could figure it out and change it every 3-6 months) on my phone but that’d be great.

My last name also has EZ at the very end
I’ve been told I could be already Jewish but family converted out. I don’t know if I can go further back, because idk if there’s a record. There has to be somewhere but I gotta know where to look for it and who to ask.
My great great great grandfather on my mother’s side is the furthest back I can go. He was born in 1900 and his name ended with ON (I went back to the mothers.) and that surname originated in Spain. But surnames change the further back I go because different men have different last names and yes normally the women take the husbands name.

My husbands legal name is very Hungarian so he wants to change it to a more Jewish sounding name and we basically introduce ourselves with our Hebrew names and that adopted last name to fellow Jews. Anything like doctors or attorneys or whatever of that sort we definitely use our names on paper lol. We have our sons Hebrew name on his birth certificate but with my husbands Hungarian last name lol.
Probably this new baby is also going to have my husbands last name. Jews can have secular last names too?

My mother told me not to change my name just yet, because my great aunt is considering selling the family home where my great grandparents lived and raised their children, and my grandma also signed or gave her agreement on having some of the value of the home given to her if the house was sold. But she passed more than 10 years now and they still have the house but my great aunt is going through the process and it could take years. So since my grandma passed the $ would go to my mother and be divided amongst my mother, me my sister and brother. My youngest brother was not born so he won’t get nothing but we might give him just so he won’t feel left out. It’s probably thousands of $ but I think Mexican currency is different not sure how it works haha.
I don’t think I can change my name just yet cuz I’d have to bring more papers to prove I’m married to this man and prove that I changed my name and that it is really me.

So we’re holding off.

Last edited by PeanutMama on Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:12 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Hi all. I’m done cooking for shabbos BH

So the thing about forgetting the bt/convert part
I’m not sure if I can do that. Like another poster said I do have needs and wants that regular FFB Jews don’t usually have.

I still cook my mothers food but with kosher ingredients/substitutes. My husband says it’s way better than the frum food lol. He also BH loves anything spicy. So in a way I am still kinda attached to my culture. For sure there are Mexican Jews! So I use YouTube for recipes, I don’t really use any other site cuz I can barely read Spanish or a non-Latino makes it and it comes out NOTHING like I grew up with lol. Also I do learn and follow along better watching videos
But I also use YouTube to wind down there are plenty clean channels with no crude or dirty language but they are tricky to find.

Although, I do wish that every app has a passcode for me to access so children won’t get into it.

About the kid using a fingerprint. The story I heard translated to me was that a teenage boy wanted to use his mother’s phone. So when the mother was sleeping he got her finger and unlocked the phone that way.

For any kid to do that they’d have to be reaaaally tech savvy or smart. I think Face ID is so much better. Idk if I can put in a second passcode (to verify it’s me, for example I could use HashemnFarfel573 as the second passcode and no kid could figure it out and change it every 3-6 months) on my phone but that’d be great.

I’ll add more later

So first of all, you kid is little. He is not breaking into your phone to look at inappropriate content.
Second, I would like to just add -maybe I am just storing the pot, my DD (who is 20 and don’t live home and has her own smartphone) her face opens my phone. I asked her to pass me my phone which was locked and as she passed it by her face it unlocked. We tested it by repeating the experiment 1/2 dozen times and in consistently works. My face does not unlock her phone. Nor does anyone else in. Y household’s face unlock my phone. Wonder why.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:32 pm
H&F, If I were you, I would stop worrying about what ANYONE thought of me and do my own thing.

I would keep my name, because it's my heritage. I would have a phone without a filter because I just think that's mishegas and you're clearly smart enough what to watch and what not to watch.

Also, it's very important that you keep your relationship with your mother.

And I would never let any man tell me what to do, the way your DH tells you. If we're being really honest.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:58 pm
You should keep your name. Socially go by whatever ( I imagine all hungarian last names can pass as jewish) but I really do not think you should complicate your paperwork.

My friends dh (both ffb, I think it was a name change coming to America thing) has a not jewish sounding last name legally. They go socially by a similar jewish one and the only one who knows are a few secretaries.

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:59 pm
There's a lot of stuff going on in this thread but I just want to comment on the past few pages. It sounds like you're feeling conflicted, like "I'm Jewish but I still want to cook from my Mexican culture. I'm Jewish but I don't want to cut off my mom." I wish you could embrace an attitude more like, "I'm Jewish AND I cook Mexican food! I'm Jewish AND this is my mother!" It's completely right that you should have a loving and close relationship with your mom. And of course you love your culture and heritage!

I've never cooked a kugel in my life- every shabbat I make Persian stews (and that's not even my own heritage!). These things - your recipes, your last name, your usage of Youtube, your fingerprint passcode - do not make you a Jew. Sounds like you have a beautiful neshama. I wish you'd have more confidence in it Smile

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 6:11 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
There's a lot of stuff going on in this thread but I just want to comment on the past few pages. It sounds like you're feeling conflicted, like "I'm Jewish but I still want to cook from my Mexican culture. I'm Jewish but I don't want to cut off my mom." I wish you could embrace an attitude more like, "I'm Jewish AND I cook Mexican food! I'm Jewish AND this is my mother!" It's completely right that you should have a loving and close relationship with your mom. And of course you love your culture and heritage!

I've never cooked a kugel in my life- every shabbat I make Persian stews (and that's not even my own heritage!). These things - your recipes, your last name, your usage of Youtube, your fingerprint passcode - do not make you a Jew. Sounds like you have a beautiful neshama. I wish you'd have more confidence in it Smile

BRAVA

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 6:27 pm
icedcoffee wrote:

I completely agree with this. I think if you take icedcoffee's advice it will completely change your life.

Also, I hate to say this, but those speeches about technology very often exaggerate tremendously. Even if that story is true, it would never happen to 99% of us. Any teen who would do such a thing is very troubled and this story would be the least of his parent's problems. Besides, most teens who want a smartphone that badly, and have that much chutzpah, would just go buy one. If chalila somebody has reason to worry about their teen doing such a thing, they can deal with it then, not when their kid is 18 months old and innocent and delicious.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Apr 17 2021, 9:30 pm
Thanks everyone. I had the impression for quite a long long time that once I become Jewish, you forget EVERYTHING that you were before. It took me many many months to realize that I can still be culturally Mexican lol AND Jewish.

The thing is tho, I did speak to my mashpia about the filter and schools, and he said he does not know every single schools rule, but most require some kind of filter. He said my internet browser IS filtered, after I showed him I had apple restrictions on and what sites I access. He did mention to me once that I’m lucky I have good brains that other people do not have because I know what to stay away from (why would I want to watch a violent video for example?!), and the people who need a filter are weaklings (and this is coming from a chassid!) and they’re not strong to fight their yetzer hara.
Yes I do know what to watch and what not to watch but it seems to me like these schools do not trust parents enough and that is sad. Like we could be keeping strict kosher and strict everything but they scared we show Baby Einstein or some Elmo clips to little children because ENGLISH so they might not take us to these schools. This is my impression though so I could be wrong.

My husband BH has a firm grip on Judaism and yidishkeit and I admire him so so much for it since he played a big part of me “coming back”. BUT he does take those technology speeches very seriously. After that first speech he did tell me I don’t HAVE to do everything that list said because it is too extreme for me. He’s okay with me having internet on my phone just that it should be filtered properly. He says it’s good what I have now but the schools will not accept it.

I guess the schools DO want a frum filtering company on phones or computers...

I know it’s not what’s required to be a frum Jew, but it is starting to feel that way. Because most people agree with filters here (understandable!) and they can’t possibly understand why I would need social media or YouTube...it’s something they can’t “get”. Most people we know are BORN frum. And because I see that they see it’s a “must have” I feel this unpleasant kind of pressure. It’s a bad thing and I’m trying to shake it off.
I’ll talk more with my mashpia and ask him if he could be a back up if we go to a Rav.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 7:22 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Anyway, I have yet to meet another bt or geyoires who’s chasidish and has a smartphone like I do. Most bt and geirim I know are litvish/yeshivish/strict modern orthodox. I know ffb people with smartphones exist but I guess I’m looking for people who had a similar background like I did.

There's actually a chasidishe geyores in Wmsbg with a smartphone Smile I think you know her!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 7:25 pm
H&F, there's a mexican Jewish lady I follow on Tiktok and she's awesome. She's not chasidish, but it's amazing to watch her mesh her 2 cultures and be authentic about both and not apologetic about either of them. You're far from alone!

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:44 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
There's actually a chasidishe geyores in Wmsbg with a smartphone Smile I think you know her!

Maybe I do idk. Smile

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:45 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
H&F, there's a mexican Jewish lady I follow on Tiktok and she's awesome. She's not chasidish, but it's amazing to watch her mesh her 2 cultures and be authentic about both and not apologetic about either of them. You're far from alone!

I don’t have tiktok but I wanna check her out. You can pm me her username lol

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:03 pm
Update I’m still looking into the gentech and I’m sooooo lost lol. I know the geder tech guy said it’s not policy based but a few questions

Do schools accept it? Not talking about the big chasidish schools more like neutral maybe.

What kind of stuff do they block on YouTube? I just wanna block out anything inappropriate like rap music and secular music videos. I love watching food reactions and singing reactions plus recipes plus shiurim and Jewish music videos and I occasionally show an uncle moishy video to my son. I guess they don’t have a problem with the Jewish stuff but anything else might be problematic to them but to ME it’s a way to laugh or relate to. Like watching one of those Mexican mom reacts to abc lol. I follow a bunch of Mexican comedy accounts there too so. Cleanest person I found on YouTube is dangmattsmith. He does not curse but I laugh along with him lol. I love his reactions to scary videos😆
Sorry getting distracted.

Do they allow access to youtube unlimited with the lowest filter? Like I can go into it whenever I have free time? (Like now to ease some boredom) or do they have a limit like they only let you watch 2-5 videos a day.
I looked into the website and it looks like the pro version is the lowest level filter. I was kinda confused about the safe and pro so need help figuring that out.

Can I install it with a computer and set up what sites I wanna access by myself or do I have to bring it to somebody?
Is everything colored out? I occasionally buy bras and underwear and nightgowns or pjs or bedroom wear online 🙈🙈🤣 what about pictures of people who are not dressed tznius. I have family who dress very secular lol and one cousin who puts on the most revealing things (think wide fishnets and shiny skin tight strapless dress) it even makes ME cringe! But I still love her tho lol. Would that filter block out skin color if I see it on Facebook or WhatsApp?
Do they allow social media? Instagram, Reddit, etc
What about apps that are installed already on the phone. Not the ones that come with the phone but the ones I installed from the App Store. Would they delete these apps?

Thanks in advance

I’m probably gonna install it in a few months till just before my son enters school. He will be 2 in august and I’ve been told kids start school when they’re like 2 years old and 8 months or something. Still undecided but I wanna know what to expect and I’ll refer to it in the future and just tell hubby I am good with just apple restrictions on.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:29 pm
chayamo wrote:
I absolutely did not have that experience. They couldnt care less what I wanted unblocked! They didnt question me or make me feel bad. They just did what I asked matter of factly.
And yes, they have an agenda, which is try to keep ourselves as kadosh as possible. They still dont judge or question you. EVER
So you had a good experience. I know multiple people who had very bad experiences. I had a less than savory experience myself.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:34 pm
H& f the image filter is optional. If you have it on then yes it will block all kinds of things. It made me crazy so I turned it off
And their YouTube filtering was super glitchy when I used it but it’s been a few years so maybe it’s been fixed
From what I understand, exactly what gets blocked depends on your local tag office but ppl on this thread are saying otherwise so I don’t know

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:44 pm
So if I were to go to tag in Flatbush, bp neutral schools would accept it or do they check which tag office installed it and if they don’t like it they will tell us to go to bp tag and then they will accept it?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:46 pm
I don’t know cuz I don’t live in bp but hopefully the bp Imas will know

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 7:28 pm
Do you not have a female in your life besides the rav, kallah Teacher and male mashpia who you can discuss these things with a get clarification on hashkafos?
I feel like there are probably many people who deal with the bt community who you should turn to for guidance to sort a lot of this through
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics