Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Constantly squabbling teens

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 6:23 am
I can’t take it anymore. My home is rarely at peace when the teens are around. They’re forever make nasty comments to each other. Fighting over the phone is a huge one. I have a few lines but our handsets are always getting misplaced, then we’re down to one that everyone wants at once. Mealtimes are miserable. The little kids escape to the playroom or backyard because being at the table with the teens is so unpleasant. If I send them to their rooms for being nasty, they just ignore me. One is in therapy for emotional issues.
I can’t deal. Need help. Any ideas?
I wish a family therapist would hang out in my house for a week so they can teach me how to react when the teens are being nasty to everyone. How to discipline.

Bobbywobby

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:03 am
Part of teen life is accepting the reality of the constant squabbling which will make everyone more relaxed about the whole thing. Some things I do to make it a little less vicious is to try to give individual positive reinforcements as much as possible. Whenever I can I will randomly say something nice to them privately and just give random hugs. They settle down so much when I do that because it’s all about them wanting to be seen and appreciated.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:06 am
So hard! Can you see a therapist yourself who specializes in this to learn better strategies?

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children