Home

Do you miss material things after making Aliyah?
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:35 am
Title says it all.
When I came here in 1993 the shopping was very meager and I missed a lot of things that I was used to. What was it like for you?
Please state when you come and which continent/country.
Happy independence day! Sunny
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:56 am
Came from the US 10 years ago.
I really feel like I can get anything I need. Israeli shopping has really stepped up its games especially when Corona started and everyone was in lockdown.
Pre-Corona I always had a lot of visitors who were able to bring things as well and we have also lessened what we bring over every year.
We got used to what's available here.
Back to top

Debbie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:02 am
There are definitely material things I miss.
One being a steam cleaner for the floors, I can't cope with the Israeli method.
The other things are certain food items such as tinned salmon which is very occasionally available in Shufersal.
Other than that most things I need and want are available here.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:13 am
Aliyah 6 years ago. My tastes have changed, and I've found that I'm a lot happier with what I have. I "need" a lot less here, because there's less pressure.

It's not so much things that I can't get here. I can get things here, but it's a matter of proximity. I don't want to have to take the train to Tel Aviv just to find something. I either do without, order online, or get creative with what I have. (I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with the post office.)

I think the biggest thing I miss, is CBD oil. It's perfectly legal in all US states, but here you have to jump through a million hoops to get a prescription. When I first moved here I brought 2 bottles with me. Later on I found out that if I had been caught it would have been a FELONY! Surprised
Back to top

sequoia




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:16 am
Yeah I didn’t wanna go to Ukrainian jail so no CBD oil for me 😢

Meanwhile here you can buy ANYTHING over the counter. Don’t need a prescription.

So ridiculous.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:22 am
Debbie wrote:
There are definitely material things I miss.

The other things are certain food items such as tinned salmon which is very occasionally available in Shufersal.


That must be a matter of locality and demand. It's available almost all the time in the makolet across the road from me.

Like most things. They might not be commonly available, but if you look long enough you can find them.
Back to top

Debbie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:28 am
Elfrida wrote:
That must be a matter of locality and demand. It's available almost all the time in the makolet across the road from me.

Like most things. They might not be commonly available, but if you look long enough you can find them.


I have looked enough in quite a few shops for tinned salmon and only seen it in one supermarket; it's nothing to do with looking enough, if something is unavailable that won't change no matter how hard one looks.
As for the steam cleaner I've yet to find anywhere that sells them, we tried ordering on line but no luck there either.
I'm thinking of going to one of the electrical goods shops and asking if they can order me the steam cleaner.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:57 am
Debbie wrote:
There are definitely material things I miss.
One being a steam cleaner for the floors, I can't cope with the Israeli method.
The other things are certain food items such as tinned salmon which is very occasionally available in Shufersal.
Other than that most things I need and want are available here.

I googled steam cleaners, seems possible to find them, but not cheap.
Back to top

Debbie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I googled steam cleaners, seems possible to find them, but not cheap.


I've also seen them on line and we have tried to order but with no success.
I rather wish I had the one I bought in UK shipped over!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:06 am
Debbie wrote:
I've also seen them on line and we have tried to order but with no success.
I rather wish I had the one I bought in UK shipped over!

I googled tinned salmon and up came tons of it. For cats! LOL LOL [quote]
Back to top

Debbie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:10 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]I googled tinned salmon and up came tons of it. For cats! LOL LOL
Quote:


I actually want to get a cat, so at least it will get the tinned salmon! 😄
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:10 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]I googled tinned salmon and up came tons of it. For cats! LOL LOL
Quote:


No, my makolet definitely sells the human version!

I don't often buy it because its expensive, but enough people do to make it worth his while carrying it.
Back to top

Debbie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:11 am
Elfrida wrote:
No, my makolet definitely sells the human version!

I don't often buy it because its expensive, but enough people do to make it worth his while carrying it.


Where do you live Elfrida?
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:12 am
I found canned salmon at a Russian supermarket near where I pick up my mail.

It was probably the only kosher thing in there! I bought several, and I have salmon patties in my fridge right now. Very Happy
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:13 am
Debbie wrote:
I actually want to get a cat, so at least it will get the tinned salmon! 😄


I can offer you a cat as well...

Back to top

twizzlers1




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:18 am
You can pretty much get everything that you can get in America here. And if not Amazon and many other places ship here. It might come at a higher price but if you want it badly enough you can usually find it.
Back to top

Debbie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I found canned salmon at a Russian supermarket near where I pick up my mail.

It was probably the only kosher thing in there! I bought several, and I have salmon patties in my fridge right now. Very Happy


Frantic Frummie we have no shortage of Russian people here in Tzfat, but I've get to see a Russian supermarket here.
When I do find tinned salmon I'll be sure to stock up..I love salmon patties; we call them rissoles.
Back to top

Debbie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:19 am
Elfrida wrote:
I can offer you a cat as well...



Aww she's beautiful 😍
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:22 am
Debbie wrote:
Where do you live Elfrida?


Missed this earlier. I live in Yerushalayim, and I see from your post that you've in Sfat, so it might not be too easy for you drop into my local makolet...

If you're coming to Yerushalayim for anything, pm me and I'll give you the address.
Back to top

Debbie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:32 am
Elfrida wrote:
Missed this earlier. I live in Yerushalayim, and I see from your post that you've in Sfat, so it might not be too easy for you drop into my local makolet...

If you're coming to Yerushalayim for anything, pm me and I'll give you the address.


Thank you so much.
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Making a cheescake in the betty crocker pizza maker
by lk1234
1 Yesterday at 10:26 pm View last post
S/O H.S. Things you only notice once you’re out
by amother
27 Sun, May 09 2021, 1:01 pm View last post
Aliyah with high schooler
by amother
17 Thu, Apr 29 2021, 3:51 am View last post
Cute things your baby does
by amother
10 Sun, Apr 25 2021, 6:08 pm View last post
Where to go for spirituality things
by amother
6 Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:00 am View last post