Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Do you miss material things after making Aliyah?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 6:35 am
twizzlers1 wrote:
You can pretty much get everything that you can get in America here. And if not Amazon and many other places ship here. It might come at a higher price but if you want it badly enough you can usually find it.

I came here from England and believe me no matter how hard I've looked there are certain items that are not available here.
Most of which I manage fine without, but it would be nice to be able to get them.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:15 am
Not to go off topic too much, but Elfrida your cat is gorgeous! I've never seen a pure white cat before.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:30 am
Crookshanks wrote:
Not to go off topic too much, but Elfrida your cat is gorgeous! I've never seen a pure white cat before.

Thank you.

Cats are one thing that there is no shortage of in Israel. She was born a street cat, so is technically a rescue kitty. Bring intelligent, she decided to rescue herself by walking into my apartment and refusing to leave!

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:40 am
Now I don't miss anything. Whatever I really want from abroad I can get online pretty easily, but even that's rare. Relatives are so surprised when they offer to bring things in and I say I don't need anything.

But when I moved here 30 years ago from the USA, I missed a ton. Fortunately my father traveled back and forth a lot for work and would bring in things. Every year or two Supersol (before it became Shufersal) would have America-Fest, where they'd import certain items for a limited time. Some successful items would stick around longer, some not. So during America-Fest we could (sometimes) get grape jelly, mac and cheese, Pillsbury ready-to-bake goods...

The only thing left is I have a hard time finding clothes that fit me well. But I manage

Shuly

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:46 am
At this point, I only miss clothing and shoes. Not that you can't get themhere but if you want better quality, it is much more expensive.
For example, they have Children's Place in Israel but the chinos cost about $30 a pair and they're $10 in America.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:02 am
Teomima wrote:
Now I don't miss anything. Whatever I really want from abroad I can get online pretty easily, but even that's rare. Relatives are so surprised when they offer to bring things in and I say I don't need anything.

But when I moved here 30 years ago from the USA, I missed a ton. Fortunately my father traveled back and forth a lot for work and would bring in things. Every year or two Supersol (before it became Shufersal) would have America-Fest, where they'd import certain items for a limited time. Some successful items would stick around longer, some not. So during America-Fest we could (sometimes) get grape jelly, mac and cheese, Pillsbury ready-to-bake goods...

The only thing left is I have a hard time finding clothes that fit me well. But I manage

Nostalgia. I remember those days shopping in supersol with starry eyed and sooooo happy Very Happy

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:08 am
I'm from the US and I miss American donuts 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

Success10

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:13 am
As I get more mature, and more and more things become available here, I don't really find myself yearning for anything from the Old Country. And whatever is lacking is usually just a few clicks away.

Elfrida, stunning cat. I want to come over and pet it! That might be something I do miss from the US, petting cats. Here they are not usually considered house animals. I haven't come across a clean, vaccinated cat in years.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:17 am
Success10 wrote:
As I get more mature, and more and more things become available here, I don't really find myself yearning for anything from the Old Country. And whatever is lacking is usually just a few clicks away.

Elfrida, stunning cat. I want to come over and pet it! That might be something I do miss from the US, petting cats. Here they are not usually considered house animals. I haven't come across a clean, vaccinated cat in years.

That really depends where you live. Maybe it's that way in Jerusalem or Tzfat. In areas which are mainly secular, there are many house cats.

I agree with everyone above. Thirty years ago when I came here, shopping was much more limited. Today you can buy pretty much anything here. There may be a few brand names that aren't available here, but it's because there is no demand for them, not because the country is spartan and simple.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:23 am
[quote="amother [ Dodgerblue ]"]That really depends where you live. Maybe it's that way in Jerusalem or Tzfat. In areas which are mainly secular, there are many house cats.

Actually in Tzfat cats are fairly popular pets, but generally among Olim rather than native Israelis; the number one pets here are dogs.

Petra

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:34 am
Do they have the fake meat in Israel (like Morning Star)? We live on that practically.

Also, I love cats. But I have never met a non-greasy, non-tattered Israeli cat that doesn't look like it's on it's 9th life. I try to stay away from them.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:35 am
Petra wrote:
Do they have the fake meat in Israel (like Morning Star)? We live on that practically.

Lots of vegan meat options in any of my local supermarkets. Remember that Israel has one of the highest percentages of vegans in the world.

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:38 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Lots of vegan meat options in any of my local supermarkets. Remember that Israel has one of the highest percentages of vegans in the world.

Yup! We just went shopping for our YH bbq the other day and there was so much vegan meat! We had to be careful to buy the real burgers and not the vegan ones Smile

aquad

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:42 am
IHerb carries canned salmon. OU hechsher. I buy it sometimes.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:43 am
aquad wrote:
IHerb carries canned salmon. OU hechsher. I buy it sometimes.

That's good to know
Thank you Aquad.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:46 am
essie14 wrote:
Yup! We just went shopping for our YH bbq the other day and there was so much vegan meat! We had to be careful to buy the real burgers and not the vegan ones Smile

There's a range called Beyond Burger which is vegan and the most authentic meat style burgers I've ever tried; I recommend them if you fancy trying non meat burgers.

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:55 am
Petra wrote:

Not MorningStar, but tons of other options. It's funny, long before fake meats were popular in the States, there was Tivol in Israel. Now within the last two three years, with the rise in popularity of things like Beyond Meat (available here but expensive), Israeli companies created their own alternatives. So there's no problem getting very meat-like vegan burgers, ground, crumbles, etc. The sausage selection differs from what's available in the States but there's still plenty of options. It is wonderfully easy to be vegetarian/vegan here in Israel (speaking as someone who's been vegetarian nearly thirty years).

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:00 am
It's not about not getting things, it's about prices. Things like allergy pills or ibuprofen are 20-40 shekels for 22 pills versus ten dollars for 365-500 pills.

Shoes are better quality in the states (I can't find wide shoes), makeup is cheaper, as is perfume.

Games are often double the price here. A card game can be 5-10 dollars and will be 60-80 shekels here.

When I know someone going back to the USA we often buy pills, puzzles, games, baby clothing on sale, makeup, perfume, random things that we need and see are much cheaper on Amazon.

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:13 am
LovesHashem wrote:
It's not about not getting things, it's about prices. Things like allergy pills or ibuprofen are 20-40 shekels for 22 pills versus ten dollars for 365-500 pills.

Shoes are better quality in the states (I can't find wide shoes), makeup is cheaper, as is perfume.

Games are often double the price here. A card game can be 5-10 dollars and will be 60-80 shekels here.

When I know someone going back to the USA we often buy pills, puzzles, games, baby clothing on sale, makeup, perfume, random things that we need and see are much cheaper on Amazon.

You're right about prices being higher but I will say, and though this isn't comparable by far to shufersal prices, that you can get prescriptions for OTC medication so it is possible to buy ibuprofen and tylenol at the regular subsidized rate rather than the full price OTC rate, and nowadays with kupah apps and digital prescriptions, you can message your doctor for a prescription and pick it up at the pharmacy without having to go to the doctor in person. Just saying this as a PSA in case anyone didn't realize.

As for shoes, I do miss when Payless was here. Affordable wide non-leather shoes...ahh that was nice.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:13 am
Teomima wrote:
. It is wonderfully easy to be vegetarian/vegan here in Israel (speaking as someone who's been vegetarian nearly thirty years).

And fruit and vegetables are free of VAT! Surprised
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions