Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Do you miss material things after making Aliyah?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:40 pm
The only thing I really miss is high-quality clothing and toys. There was more, in the beginning. But now I don't even remember what those things were. LOL

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:41 pm
We have adopted two street cats. One at a time. One disappeared after we had her for many years I have a feeling that she got sick and died because it was the day after she brought us a dead bird. And we wound up adopting a second one that looked just like her. She is still a street cat in the sense that she likes to go out for fresh air but she doesn't go far from home and she is a very very fat and she looks very well taken care of. I really took advantage of the free shipping when Amazon had it. I must say that I miss it and I'm not even sure that I give the business to Israel because a lot of it is things that I just can't find here or I'm not willing to spend the price. At least when I really need something I can most usually find it here even if it is more money.

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:44 pm
Success10 wrote:
As I get more mature, and more and more things become available here, I don't really find myself yearning for anything from the Old Country. And whatever is lacking is usually just a few clicks away.

Elfrida, stunning cat. I want to come over and pet it! That might be something I do miss from the US, petting cats. Here they are not usually considered house animals. I haven't come across a clean, vaccinated cat in years.

My cat isn't as pretty as Elfrida's (she's a FAT old tabby!), but she's highly social, and vaccinated. Please come over for pets!

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And fruit and vegetables are free of VAT! Surprised

They may be free of VAT, but they're more expensive than what I was used to.

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

Fruits and veggies here are more expensive? That is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. I find produce here so affordable and delicious. I don't even want to think about cucumbers back in the States.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:01 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

Depends on where you buy. I live in b break so prices a very good. I rarely buy produce in the supermarket unless its a good sale, always shop at my yarkan. I'm very tight fisted when it comes to veggies and fruit.
Example: bell peppers at 4.90 nis excellent quality.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:03 pm
Teomima wrote:
Fruits and veggies here are more expensive? That is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. I find produce here so affordable and delicious. I don't even want to think about cucumbers back in the States.

I come from England, maybe that's the difference. Much cheaper there and and better quality.

But, everything else is good here Very Happy

mochamix18

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:17 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I can offer you a cat as well...

😍😍😍 GORGEOUS!!! Girl or boy?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:22 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
It's not about not getting things, it's about prices. Things like allergy pills or ibuprofen are 20-40 shekels for 22 pills versus ten dollars for 365-500 pills.

Shoes are better quality in the states (I can't find wide shoes), makeup is cheaper, as is perfume.

Games are often double the price here. A card game can be 5-10 dollars and will be 60-80 shekels here.

When I know someone going back to the USA we often buy pills, puzzles, games, baby clothing on sale, makeup, perfume, random things that we need and see are much cheaper on Amazon.

No offense but I am so happy that I didn't grow up on the US because I am 99% percent sure that I would have had a very hard time to adjust to the difference in prices. Totally get you.

grace413

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:41 pm
When I first came to Israel in the 70s consumer goods were minimal as well as expensive. But I didn't have any money anyway.....

There is so much more now. However, being very spoiled, I'm fortunate that my DH travels and brings me back what I want: paper plates, canned salmon, over the counter meds, socks, underwear. When I go to the states (if I ever go again) I buy sports shoes, purses, toys for the grandchildren,.

I loved Amazon free shipping and really missing.

What I'm really missing now (yes I'm spoiled) is big parking spots. (yes I know I'm lucky to have a car). Teeny tiny parking spots where many times people have parked so close to me that I can't get back into the car.

But as I sat on my porch today and watched the flyover I was just happy to be in Israel!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:52 pm
grace413 wrote:
When I first came to Israel in the 70s consumer goods were minimal as well as expensive. But I didn't have any money anyway.....

There is so much more now. However, being very spoiled, I'm fortunate that my DH travels and brings me back what I want: paper plates, canned salmon, over the counter meds, socks, underwear. When I go to the states (if I ever go again) I buy sports shoes, purses, toys for the grandchildren,.

I loved Amazon free shipping and really missing.

What I'm really missing now (yes I'm spoiled) is big parking spots. (yes I know I'm lucky to have a car). Teeny tiny parking spots where many times people have parked so close to me that I can't get back into the car.

But as I sat on my porch today and watched the flyover I was just happy to be in Israel!

You came on the 70's? Surprised wow you were brave! I have heard some stories, they didn't even have sanitary pads but used cotton wool. Can't Believe It
Diapers were washed on the stove in a huge pot...

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:19 pm
I'm from Europe originally. Don't miss anything substantial. But it took me the better part of my first 10 years here to get used to the price of most food items. I used to gasp when looking at prices for cheese, yogurt, other milk products, coffee, baked goods, frozen veggies, sweets, jam and even bread. Only getting a Rami Levy branch in comfortable range has put my mind at ease somewhat. And maybe losing track of the shekel-euro exchange rate with time has helped as well...

A huge big plus here that outweighs it all is of course kashrut!! Everything with a hechsher and one can even choose the better ones. Not like my pre-Aliyah days when I lived in a dump with a tiny Jewish community and no Jewish infrastructure and I had to make do with a lot of products by "kosher-list" but no hechsher at all. Kosher is so easy here, yippiiieee!

A tiny pet peeve of mine is that things for DIY food are harder to come by than in Europe. Like pectin for making one's own jam. Or microbial rennet for making cheese at home.
But whatever! It's not important.
I love living in Israel!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I'm from Europe originally. Don't miss anything substantial. But it took me the better part of my first 10 years here to get used to the price of most food items. I used to gasp when looking at prices for cheese, yogurt, other milk products, coffee, baked goods, frozen veggies, sweets, jam and even bread. Only getting a Rami Levy branch in comfortable range has put my mind at ease somewhat. And maybe losing track of the shekel-euro exchange rate with time has helped as well...

A huge big plus here that outweighs it all is of course kashrut!! Everything with a hechsher and one can even choose the better ones. Not like my pre-Aliyah days when I lived in a dump with a tiny Jewish community and no Jewish infrastructure and I had to make do with a lot of products by "kosher-list" but no hechsher at all. Kosher is so easy here, yippiiieee!

A tiny pet peeve of mine is that things for DIY food are harder to come by than in Europe. Like pectin for making one's own jam. Or microbial rennet for making cheese at home.
But whatever! It's not important.
I love living in Israel!

Good that you mentioned pectin! I googled it and your can find it in baking stores.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Good that you mentioned pectin! I googled it and your can find it in baking stores.

I have to try that, thanks!

Reality

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:40 pm
What is VAT?

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:47 pm
It stands for Value Added Tax. Beyond that, I don't know

moonstone

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You came on the 70's? Surprised wow you were brave! I have heard some stories, they didn't even have sanitary pads but used cotton wool. Can't Believe It
Diapers were washed on the stove in a huge pot...

I've heard about the diapers, but say it ain't so about the cotton wool!!! 😮

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:56 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

You definitely can get pectin here. In Jerusalem at least you can find it in baking supply stores, including the baking section in some of the chad paami stores. It's not a packaged name brand, just a container of powdered pectin. I always keep a supply on hand.

But if anyone knows where you can find microbial rennet, please do share!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 4:09 pm
Regarding clothes, does anyone know who dressed Kive's girlfriend in Series 3 of "Shtisel"? I loved what she wore...

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Title says it all.
When I came here in 1993 the shopping was very meager and I missed a lot of things that I was used to. What was it like for you?
Please state when you come and which continent/country.
Happy independence day! Sunny

I came 18 years ago and really dont even think about america at all. I dont miss anything. OK, maybe hershey's kisses Smile but thats just for fun.

I guess possibly because I came single right out of college, I wasnts really thinking about material things or what I was going to be missing. I grew up as n adult, here in Israel.

I don miss anything.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions