Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Can you freeze unbaked challah?

corolla

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:17 am
The title says it all. I don't have time for the whole baking process on any one day, because I work full-time, but I'd really like to start making challah again. If I could make the dough on, say, Sunday and bake on Thursday or Friday, that would work out.
I just have a feeling that baked challah is more likely to get freezer burnt?

newbie613

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:21 am
Tons of stores and bakeries sell frozen challah dough. I buy them all the time and it tastes delicious!

corolla

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:27 am
newbie613 wrote:
Tons of stores and bakeries sell frozen challah dough. I buy them all the time and it tastes delicious!

How does it work once you're ready to bake? Do you need to wait for it to rise after defrosting?

Twinster

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:28 am
Sure you can. Just freeze them, ready braided, and allow them to rise after defrosting.

corolla

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:30 am
Twinster wrote:
Sure you can. Just freeze them, ready braided, and allow them to rise after defrosting.

Thanks!

iluvy

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:40 am
I used to do it, but too often the inside would still be raw when we cut into it because it didn't fully defrost by the time I put it in the oven. I still make dough every 3 weeks or so but I freeze the challos baked and they taste fresh and delicious from the freezer (warmed up)

EsG

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:03 am
I have tried and didn't love how they came out. The braid didn't really show up and they rose in a weird way.

I split up my challah baking over 2 days.
I make the dough one night. Put it straight in the fridge overnight.

Next day, I take out the dough, let it rise/come to room temp and shape/bake.

Twinster

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:09 am
iluvy wrote:
I used to do it, but too often the inside would still be raw when we cut into it because it didn't fully defrost by the time I put it in the oven. I still make dough every 3 weeks or so but I freeze the challos baked and they taste fresh and delicious from the freezer (warmed up)

That’s why I don’t allow the challah to rise before freezing. Then there’s plenty of time for the challah to defrost while rising. I put them into the oven 2 hours before Shabbos and we have freshly baked challah for Shabbos!

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:17 am
You can also put a bowl of challah dough in the fridge overnight. The next day take out the dough to rise. It will need more time to rise but the challah comes out fine.
I’ve bought frozen challah dough in the grocery. The challah is already breaded. I rose it for a few hours, then egg and seeds. It comes out delicious.

newbie613

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:29 am
corolla wrote:
How does it work once you're ready to bake? Do you need to wait for it to rise after defrosting?

I left it defrost on my counter for at least 6 hours and then bake on 375 for around 45 minutes. Always comes out delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads