Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Hasidic actor walks off Portman movie
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:17 am
http://www.nydailynews.com/ent......html

What's your opinion of what happened?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:22 am
My opinion? Mr. Karpen (real name: Yoily) didnt realize

1. that it would leak out beforehand that he's on a movie, he shot it on wednesday and everyone knew about it on Thursday. By Friday his kids were threatened with expulsion, and he backed out of the film. He probably thought the world would find out when the film is released, but in today's internet age, every single thing is immediatley forwarded...

2. that it would become that big a deal, I dont think it was even a speaking part, it was all of a five minute thing. The girl he's acting with is Jewish, and he refused to hold her hand, which they agreed to let him.

That having been said. he did the right thing by backing out.

he's from a real chasidishe family, wife wears a shpitzel, so do his sisters, it's puzzling why he decided to do this. He was always a bit quirky, so it's not surprising that he did this, but knowing the backlash he'd get from the community, I wonder why he didnt think this through. (His wife was okay with this,)

made for an interesting news story, a very odd one though.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:31 am
I'm just surprised that he was so naive regarding community reaction.

mimivan

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:49 am
Maybe he just wanted to test the waters...thought "why not, I can always quite if it gets too hot."

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:53 am
I was shocked out of my mind by all of this. Karpen said he didn't even think Portman was so famous. When that studio made the navy yard its home willi residents were outraged! That didn't even end up being a problem -- ha! Now one of ours wants to become the next ummm Chris O'Donnel?? ( they kinda resemble!! a bittt)

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:58 am
I'm telling you he probably didnt think it through. Probably doesnt realize how 'huge' being even in a five-minute movie is, and probably didnt think he'd get 'caught' a day after filming. In any event, he got his fame anyway through the media exposure, and he already got his thrill of being on a movie set. LOL

Maya

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 2:24 am
I'm not sure I believe these good intentions, MB. He's living in the community for 25 years. He definitely should've expected this reaction. And if he didn't think it would leak out during the shooting, why is it better for e/o to know after the movie hits theaters? His kids would've been expelled then, too. I simply can't understand what he was thinking. I"m sure he knew what would happen. Maybe he figured he wouldn't care, but when it actually happened, he got scared?

mumoo

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:06 am
I read the comments after the article. I am sickened. there are a lot of ignorant, Jew-hating people out there. But what bothers me most is when even one person is mechalel Hashem, the damage it can cause... oy

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 8:50 am
There are other orthodox jews working in hollywood. The only one I really know of is Steven Hill. One of his daughters went to sem with my sister in Israel. I think someone from the Chasidic sect is a bit extreme to be working there, though.

shoy18

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 8:56 am
yo'ma wrote:
There are other orthodox jews working in hollywood. The only one I really know of is Steven Hill. One of his daughters went to sem with my sister in Israel. I think someone from the Chasidic sect is a bit extreme to be working there, though.

one of his daughters was my teacher in elementary school, they didnt own a tv and were extremely religious, this was their fathers job, and nothing more.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:06 am
it's not nice to promise then back out. what's in his contract ?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:07 am
chocolate moose wrote:

I find it ironic a statement like this is made a week after a particular concert was supposed to take place.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:15 am
yo'ma wrote:
There are other orthodox jews working in hollywood. The only one I really know of is Steven Hill. One of his daughters went to sem with my sister in Israel.
To my knowledge, Steven Hill went far away from Hollywood, as soon as he decided to be frum.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:19 am
YESHASettler wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I find it ironic a statement like this is made a week after a particular concert was supposed to take place.

takeh.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:26 am
Quote:
yo'ma wrote:
There are other orthodox jews working in hollywood. The only one I really know of is Steven Hill. One of his daughters went to sem with my sister in Israel.
Quote:
To my knowledge, Steven Hill went far away from Hollywood, as soon as he decided to be frum.

Left the cast of "Mission: Impossible" (1966) after one season because, as an Orthodox Jew, he was unwilling to abide by the show's production schedule. (That would have required him to work on the Jewish Sabbath.)

Played the Manhattan District Attorney in both Legal Eagles (1986) and "Law & Order" (1990).

Left acting from 1967 to 1978

got this from imbd

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:33 am
Oy. Definitely a Chillul Hashem, especially if you saw the comments after the article. He obviously has "issues".

faigie

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:36 am
ok, whats bothering me here, is how the mans rabbi forces the man to quit, with threats to his family.
is this the way to foster true yiddishkiet?
"do it my way or ill cut you and your family off"?
is that really the way to teach yirat shamayim, ben adam l'chavayro etc?
the rabbi definitely got his way in the short term, but what did he really accomplish?
I cant say for sure whats going on in the chasids head, but I doubt any real learning was accomplished

bigdeal

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:49 am
lets be careful before we bash our fellow Jews- this is between Him and Th ONE ABOVE- lets leave the hateful comments for the Non- Jews- and focus on the positive- shall we?

timeout

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:57 am
I think he just didn't realize what a big deal it would become. He definitely didn't know it would be page 2 of the Daily News.

He wasn't being mechalel shabbos, stood his ground on shomer negiah.

But I would like to know what his wife thought? If he did want to lead that sort of lifestyle allowing him to be in a movie Williamsburg definitely wasn't the place to test the waters.

On another note my DH went to a wedding in Williamsburg where a bunch of boys from the neighborhood showed up with Mohawks and earrings. All I thought is poor kids that they have to go to such extremes.

minnie

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:03 am
this is not about his rabbi, he actually doesn't listen to any. it's about his kids, which he does care for. He backed out cuz they sent his kids home from school. the only way they would take them back is if he backs out.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics