Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Hasidic actor walks off Portman movie
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:24 pm
omg-this thread is sure entertaining.

clarrisa-u crack me up again.

its ok to discuss it in a normal manner- as a jew were curious to know what sometimes happens to our other fellow jews.

I dont think he was so wrong-he didnt know what hes getting himself into-again-he stuck to his gun and told everyone that was in the shoot that he cant hold her hand-tahts a little brave, no?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:29 pm
Not my fault he put himself out there. When you're famous, that's what happens.

redhot

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 9:35 pm
question for those more knowlegable in halacha than me. Is it permissible to speak lashon harah about a yid who isnt frum (I.e. Spitzer) ?? cuz a comment here seemed to imply that it would be ok to bash spitzer but not a frum jew.

doesnt seem to make sense to me.

On a side note- I happen to think there is nothing wrong with a frum jew being in film. I Do think that people should NEVER have embarrassed his children and his family by 'threatening' them, removing them from school, etc...

that is what I personally find 'disgustful' (also known as disgusting, or reprehensible, horrible, horrifying, )

minnie

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 10:57 pm
redhot wrote:

On a side note- I happen to think there is nothing wrong with a frum jew being in film. I Do think that people should NEVER have embarrassed his children and his family by 'threatening' them, removing them from school, etc...

that is what I personally find 'disgustful' (also known as disgusting, or reprehensible, horrible, horrifying, )

in a frum society where it's wrong to do this, no school wants to ruin their reputation by having kids from such parents in their school.

chayitty

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 11:24 pm
when me and dh took r son to our school interview the man said..."we dont tell u wat to do...we tell u wat our rules r and u can decide if u want to send to our school"
I think they have every right to throw out a kid that the parents or the kid isnt going by the school rules

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 6:46 am
redhot wrote:
question for those more knowlegable in halacha than me. Is it permissible to speak lashon harah about a yid who isnt frum (I.e. Spitzer) ?? cuz a comment here seemed to imply that it would be ok to bash spitzer but not a frum jew.

doesnt seem to make sense to me.

For good reason. There is no heter, per se, to speak Lashon Hara about a Jew just because he's not frum. The only heter is to speak about someone who was "yotzei miklal amisecha". You can read sefer Shmiras Halashon to find out what's included in yotzei miklal amisecha.

As far as the current topic of discussion, there is a heter to speak about someone if "kol yatza ba'ir" about him, meaning that it's already public knowledge. However, this is not a blanket heter to speak about someone whose escapades appear in the newspaper. Again, read sefer Shemiras Halashon for more details.

One thing I can tell you for sure, though: Gossiping about this guy is not going to increase anyone's yiras shamayim or improve her avodas Hashem.

Quote:

If you want to belong to a community, you follow its rules. If you break the rules, you should expect to be expelled from the community. He wasn't "threatened"; he was warned that if appears in the movie he would no longer be considered part of the community, which would include being allowed to send his children to the community schools. Simple as that.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 8:33 am
redhot wrote:

I was being sarcastic, redhot. People were coming down on those discussing Karpen but often, people on this forum don't seem to have a problem discussing both Jewish and non Jewish politicians, Spitzer being one of them.

smily

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 10:05 am
I wonder listening to loshon horoh is not alowed. I would think reading this thread etc would be like listening. So any of us who have read this thread and responding like me would be included in doing wrong. Maybe I should get of.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 1:38 pm
Unless you're not mekabel LOL
Just keep reading and go "I'm not mekabel, I'm not mekabel, I'm not mekabel" (and don't forget to click your heels together 3 times LOL )

louche

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 2:05 pm
I do find it odd that a member of a group that forbids watching TV would think to be in a movie. maybe he should contact the guy who made the movie Ushpizin, and ask for a job. I hear (I hope!) he's planning another film.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 7:47 pm
I think this article was the most fascinating one I read on the whole debacle. it's from

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Ente.....age=1

It's every aspiring actor's dream -- the big break.

So 25-year-old Abraham Karpen was the envy of every Shia Lebouf wannabe when he was cast as Natalie Portman's husband in the film "New York I Love You."

But Karpen isn't going to be on the red-eye to La-la-land any time soon because last week the Hasidic Jew from Williamsburg, Brooklyn, said goodbye to his budding acting career and quit the film.

"He really didn't grasp that this was a movie and that Natalie Portman was a star. He thought it was more of a commercial, a short thing," said Isaac Abraham, a Hasidic community leader. "I think he was a little naive. He didn't grasp the magnitude of what he was doing."

The magnitude of what Karpen was doing became clear after photos of the budding actor walking with Portman under the Brooklyn Bridge surfaced in the media.

"We don't watch TV, use the Internet or see movies. It's against our religion and our traditions. There are strong guidelines about what you can and can't do," Abraham said.

Not surprisingly, getting a Screen Actors Guild card is not on the list of approved to-dos.

When Karpen's rabbis got wind of his activities, they ordered him to withdraw from the film or face the possibility that his children would be kicked out of their religious school.

The rabbis feared that Karpen's presence in the film would rattle the tightly knit and insular culture of Williamsburg Hasids.

"Once he got the role, I think the rabbis may have thought to themselves, well, you know, people know him. They might want to watch him on the screen. And then where does it end?" Abraham said.

If that sounds harsh, well, you have to understand the faith-based Hasidic community.

'Like the Mormons'

"It's a bit like the Mormons. If you're excommunicated, likewise it would be reflected on your children," said Brandeis University professor Jonathon Sarna, an expert on American Jewish history. "Most American Jews would consider Hasidic Jews to be ultra-orthodox. I prefer the term fervently orthodox. They want to recreate the world their parents knew. Innovations are bad because they take time away from religious learning."

Hasidism was a mystical movement of Jews that developed in Eastern Europe. There are many different groups, or sects, within Hasidism, and each group is attached to a rebbe, or Grand Rabbi, to whom they submit themselves.

Hasids limit their contact with outsiders, and while the lives of Hasidic Jews may be largely hidden from the rest of the world, their look is highly recognizable -- black hats, coats and long side curls for the men; head scarves and modest dress for the women.

his isn't the first time Hollywood has called on the Hasidic community. A 1981 film titled "The Chosen," starring Robbie Benson, revolved around the story of two Hasidic teenagers.

Sidney Lumet's 1992 movie "A Stranger Among Us" focused on Melanie Griffith as a cop who goes undercover in a Hasidic neighborhood -- a kind of Jewish "witness."

"New York I Love You" is a series of 12 short stories about love in the different neighborhoods of New York City. "It's a celebration of love and relationships," according to creator and producer Emmanuel Benbihy.

In an e-mail exchange, Benbihy said the controversy came as a "complete surprise."

The producers had been working "closely with representatives of the Hasidic community of Brooklyn in order to make sure that we are respectful of the traditions of a classic Hasidic wedding."

Portman and Karpen portrayed a young Hasidic couple about to get married.

Benbihy said, "Mr. Karpen was well-liked and highly regarded. We regret but respect and understand his choice to pull out from the movie. From our perspective, we felt very welcome in Brooklyn."

But, the welcome mat isn't always out.

For instance, filmmaker Pearl Gluck was forced out of a location in Williamsburg by about 200 protesters recently.

Gluck, who runs her own production company, Palinka Pictures, has a unique perspective because she was brought up in the Hasidic community. But in the 1980s in order to go to a college of her choosing, she left. Although Gluck still considers herself a part of the community, many Hasids do not.

Still her films, like "The Divan," focus on the traditions and culture of the community she grew up in. "The sense of community is very powerful, the sense of charity. There really is a sense that we're in this together. Our main goal is to bring up our children in a faith-based environment and expose them to the richness of our traditions," she said.

"The sense of community is very powerful, the sense of charity. There really is a sense that we're in this together. Our main goal is to bring up our children in a faith-based environment and expose them to the richness of our traditions," Gluck said.

The recent protests on her film, Gluck said, had to do with "people seeing film sets and crews coming from the outside world. There is a fear of a lack of continuity and thinking that the next generation won't be like the last one."

And that's the same fear that sparked the problem on the set of "New York I Love You," according to Abraham.

After all, most of the previous high-profile films about the ultra-orthodox community, including "The Chosen" and "A Stranger Among Us," had actors portraying Hasidic Jews. In this case, Karpen really was a Hasidic Jew -- and that made a world of difference.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:22 pm
yidmim wrote:
"couple" pictures are taken in the yichud room, yup and they can be pretty mushy!

By Chassidim?

Maybe I'm exposed mostly to Gerrers and that's why I think what I think. With the Gerrers the Chossona and Kallah don't even sit next to each other in the family pix at the end of the wedding!

mimivan

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 2:58 am
BtW...aren't there rules about LH. for someone who is famous...it's not like we are talking about something no one knows about (I.e. it was in the papers.)

I read about this years ago in Rabbi Telushkin's book "Words that hurt, words that heal" I think commenting on a person in the public eye when the facts are already known is different from ordinary circumstances. Like it isnt' lashon hara to say a certain celebrity is married to a shiksa, because that is known etc...

Whether to talk about if he is cute or not...welll.....that may be different! (definitely not L.H but something else entirely)
As someone who has gotten comments like that about dh ba'h.(at our Sheva Brachas no less! embarrassed LOL )..I'd be very nervous to be Mrs. Kasten!

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 3:00 am
That's "Karpen" Mimivan. Get your movie star's names straight please.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:05 pm
dh spoke to karpen last night, he told him lipa came and hung out there all night and gave "chizzuk" he said he has a simular experience

Maya

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:08 pm
They should form their own club. Anyone have a good name for it?

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:11 pm
sleepless-n-ny wrote:
dh spoke to karpen last night, he told him lipa came and hung out there all night and gave "chizzuk" he said he has a simular experience

What does he need chizuk for? He's an adult, and adults can make decisions. Sometimes values clash and you have to decide which one is more important. Either way you are choosing. Nobody can force anything on anyone else.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:27 pm
cassandra wrote:
sleepless-n-ny wrote:

What does he need chizuk for? He's an adult, and adults can make decisions. Sometimes values clash and you have to decide which one is more important. Either way you are choosing. Nobody can force anything on anyone else.

Even when an adult makes a choice it can sometimes be hard.

Have a little heart Cassandra...

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:47 pm
I guess...

I just still don't understand how someone could live in the community he does and do what he did and then be shocked when he gets flack for it.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:53 pm
not everyone thinks, I regreted stuff I did-not this major but I wish I wouldve thought before I happened. sometimes u learn from experience and grow from it.

yid-I hear they are looking for a jewish female too-to act as a friend of julia roberts.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics