Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What name brands? S/O
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 9:33 am
A spinoff of the and all the threads about buying name brands. What things do you buy specifically because of the name?

The only things that I buy specifically because of the name are appliances.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 9:40 am
Appliances
Genuine down coats. I buy them on sale end if season. Warm coats for me is priority.
They're not major brand names. They're S13 or Scotch Bonnet.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 9:40 am
Certain cleaning supplies.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 9:44 am
My 30th bday present to myself was a Cartier watch. Love the design (tank with mother of pearl face and pink sapphire dial) but let’s be honest: it bought it for the name

sky

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 9:52 am
Food: Heinz, frenchs ...
Cleaning supplies: windex, Clorox, ...
Bosch mixer
Braun food processor
Ninja blender

With so many Chinese products and imitations flooding the market when I buy on Amazon I look for established brands. Not specific brands, but familiar.
For electronics and small appliances I feel it’s safer.
For shoes better quality control.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 9:52 am
Kleenex

amother
Green

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 10:00 am
Ketchup, tomato sauce, mayonnaise, frozen fries, bbq sauce, hot dogs... do you want the brands I use?

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 10:11 am
Heinz ketchup. Hellman mayonnaise. This is my second Google pixel so I guess that

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 10:38 am
I can't think of any. When it comes to groceries, I buy whatever is cheapest (Walmart brand and such). When it comes to bigger purchases, I do some research and rely on reviews. If a brand name happens to be my best option, I go with that.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 10:38 am
PlasticO plastic plates and cutlery
Bounty towel paper
Reynolds silver foil

Adding-pampers baby wipes. Have tried few other companies, nothing's as good as pampers.

Last edited by silverlining3 on Fri, Apr 16 2021, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 10:43 am
I don't use much plastic cutlery, but when I do, it's from Costco.

We've actually found that we are fine with Shoprite mayonnaise (like their bread and bowl brand) - similar enough to Hellman's, and lasts nicely too.

But I won't buy their flour. It's awful.

Baking powder - only Davis - the red and yellow can. Other baking powders do not mix as well into batter, and can have awful tastes.

dankbar

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:00 am
silverlining3 wrote:
PlasticO plastic plates and cutlery
Bounty towel paper
Reynolds silver foil

Adding-pampers baby wipes. Have tried few other companies, nothing's as good as pampers.

When I tried other company soup bowl for hot soup the soup holed thru the plate

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:23 am
I buy brand name for kitchen things and food-paper towels, Heinz ketchup, Hellman's mayonnaise. I've never bought clothing because of the brand name, but I have my eye on a really expensive pocketbook that I'm dying to get.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:26 am
How do you mean? I buy nothing for the name, but everything for the quality/use equation, which means I end up buying "brands" by default.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:56 am
I am fairly Kirkland/Costco brand loyal. Does that make me a snob? I find their quality/value to be exceptional.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:56 am
Duplicate.

mizle10

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:59 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I am fairly Kirkland/Costco brand loyal. Does that make me a snob? I find their quality/value to be exceptional.

I was thinking this as well. Prob 70% percent of my house is Kirkland lol.

preciousmommy

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:17 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Kleenex

I find Up&Up (Target) Ultra Soft tissues to be at least as good as kleenex, if not better. And they’re cheaper.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:22 pm
preciousmommy wrote:
I find Up&Up (Target) Ultra Soft tissues to be at least as good as kleenex, if not better. And they’re cheaper.

I love Scotties. We buy them in $ Tree. The only problem with them is that they recently changed production a bit and now the tissues are slightly attached at the corners and you can't use them on Shabbos anymore Sad

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:24 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I love Scotties. We buy them in $ Tree. The only problem with them is that they recently changed production a bit and now the tissues are slightly attached at the corners and you can't use them on Shabbos anymore Sad

If it's just on the first one can't you open a it before shabbos

Wait I will edit to add I was thinking of paper towels which you would need to rip anyways beforehand and then I realized you meant tissues that sucks

Edit again although why not just get like a pretty basket and break the tissues but part before shabbos like you would do with paper towels.... It's also a pretty easy job to give to even a younger kid
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics