Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Post Pesach food bills..

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:58 am
Since Pesach we’ve spent over $1,000 on food. 3 kids under the age of 6. My house was practically on zero and I did stock up a bit. But even so I’m horrified... before Pesach I threw out a lot and donated some unopened things bec we don’t sell. I’m just thinking about the whole cycle of getting rid of, stocking up on KLP items and then having to start from scratch again and I’m bothered. Just putting it out there. Bh we have the $ in the bank but are far from wealthy and it just bothers me.
Vent over

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:04 pm
Many people that have the Chumrah of not selling anything , like condiments and sauces or non chametz gamur items , have received a heter to yes sell those products because of the huge financial loss.
I don’t know where you live , but $1000 is a bit high.
Yes , my post Pesach grocery order last week was almost double than usual. But this week it was slightly less than usual so it sort of started to balance out a bit.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:11 pm
I totally understand and I hate it too, but with some advanced planning it is possible to minimize the waste. The hardest part for me is consuming/getting rid of the stuff I get on Purim, but otherwise I start making sure we eat what's in the freezer a few weeks before Pesach and switch the kids over to kitniyos vs. chametz snacks. By being creative with what's in the house in order to use it up, I do end up spending less on non-Pesach groceries in the weeks leading up to Pesach. I still buy bread and crackers, etc. but only in small amounts and then replenish as needed only for what I think we will realistically eat. It all evens up later when I have to restock after Pesach, but at least a lot of food isn't getting thrown out or given away beforehand.

watergirl

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:12 pm
For next year, please ask your rav if this is the way to go for your financial situation. Not selling anything is not the halacha and if there is a financial strain for doing so, most poskim will tell you to lock the chametz and sell it.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:14 pm
Why throw out? We use it up

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:20 pm
Definitely shop your pantry next year so you dont throw out anything. Also when yomtov was over, I only bought what I needed to cook dinner that week and send for lunches. I didnt buy condiments unless I knew I was going to use them. Same with spices. If I didnt have a plan for the item I didnt buy it just to have on hand. It kept my bill much lower.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:23 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Definitely shop your pantry next year so you dont throw out anything. Also when yomtov was over, I only bought what I needed to cook dinner that week and send for lunches. I didnt buy condiments unless I knew I was going to use them. Same with spices. If I didnt have a plan for the item I didnt buy it just to have on hand. It kept my bill much lower.

This. Buy as needed to restock. I didn't replace everything right away. I can wait for sales or buy as needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics