Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How not to nighttable nightmare

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 9:48 am
How to make it not a magnet for mess?!

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 9:50 am
Put a lamp there and nothing else. Maybe a clock and that's it.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 10:24 am
Decide what you WANT to have on your night table. Remove everything else. Decide where to re-home other items or throw them out if garbage. Done. Not hard at all.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 10:57 am
My night table is okay. Lamp, clock, tissue box, lenses case, and moisturizer we use nightly.

My dresser is the magnet. It just is! It takes a lot to keep it clear.

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:11 am
What Indigo said, which is what you would do for any storage area or horizontal surface in your home (though
in the interests of bal tashchit and conservation, I would first try to find a thrift shop, charity or recycling program that would accept my unwanted merchandise before resorting to the trash.) What she left out was Eternal Vigilance. Uncluttered surfaces don't stay that way on their own because nature hates a vacuum (and you may hate your vacuum cleaner, but that's a different matter). You must constantly resist the temptation to put things down "for now." "For now" inevitably becomes "forever."

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:16 am
zaq wrote:
What Indigo said, which is what you would do for any storage area or horizontal surface in your home (though
in the interests of bal tashchit and conservation, I would first try to find a thrift shop, charity or recycling program that would accept my unwanted merchandise before resorting to the trash.) What she left out was Eternal Vigilance. Uncluttered surfaces don't stay that way on their own because nature hates a vacuum (and you may hate your vacuum cleaner, but that's a different matter). You must constantly resist the temptation to put things down "for now." "For now" inevitably becomes "forever."

Lol, Eternal Vigilance, I Heart it!

Do you think I could design a nighttable with a 45° sloped top? It might work LOL

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 11:30 am
Get rid of your nightable!!!

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol, Eternal Vigilance, I Heart it!

Do you think I could design a nighttable with a 45° sloped top? It might work LOL

Took me years to figure out why the tops of our school lockers were all slanted like pitched roofs.

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Get rid of your nightable!!!

I would have suggested the same, but I figured OP must have just bought a new one and would not appreciate being advised to get rid of it.

Sarah S

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:51 pm
Same issue but with my dresser. My rule is that I must clear it every morning. I made it part of the routine, get dressed make beds clear dresser clear floor. It's the only way to keep it clear
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics