Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
For those who live in an all Jewish/Frum Building....
1  2  Next

Mishie

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 7:12 am
Do you give Shalach-Manos to your whole building?

I live in an all Frum building (13 families).

and, everyone gives to everyone.

I'm wondering what it's like in other neighborhoods..

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 7:42 am
Mishie wrote:
Do you give Shalach-Manos to your whole building?

I live in an all Frum building (13 families).

and, everyone gives to everyone.

I'm wondering what it's like in other neighborhoods..

when we lived in ramat beit shemesh, all the families in our building were frum and no we did not give to every family. I dont even think we gave to one family in our building and we did not get from anyone in our building wither. we give to friends and family and if the ppl in the building are not part of that then we dont just give b/c they are neighbors.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:13 am
I did last year - we are 21 units - but so many ppl weren't home or didn't acknowledge them, so this year I cut down.

grin

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 11:02 am
we davka give to everyone in our unit (about 10 families). they're not all frum, so it's even more important.

Squash

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 11:19 am
like cm, I used to give to all frum families (and of course included the non frum as well) and also like cm I've cut down for the same reason as her. I don't think it was appreciated much or will be missed. now I will only give the few I'm closest with and the other non frum ones.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 12:04 pm
Nah, my neighbors & I have a silent pact that we dont give each other, to minimize the shlach monos work!

I do give my landlady.

Seraph

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 12:09 pm
I gave last year to 2 neighbors.
This year I'm giving none, bec I know more people in my community, and have more people to give mm to, and since I;m not doing a TON, I'd rather give more freinds than neighbors.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 12:11 pm
My building has 8 stories of apartments, I think there are 64 apartments in the building so no.

We will probably give to a couple of English speaking neighbors we are close to.

I think it's more important to give to people who are not frum then other frum people. My parents told me of a specific family where we were the first ones to ever give them shaloch manos(they are frum now). It's the sort of small gesture that can change people's view of frumkeit.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 12:56 pm
last yr and this yr also we make extra and have by the door,if someone comes to give us one we give them one of the extras by the door(its generic)in our building there are 10families,this yr the vaad decided it might be easier to draw names(we are all pretty close)and give to that one family.

Maya

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:07 pm
I give to two of my neighbors who I am friends with. There are 16 families living in my building, and I can't give to all.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 3:18 pm
on my small block everyone gives to everyone

mamacita

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 3:28 pm
I also give to the neighbors I have a relationship with, or ones I'd like to have more of a relationship with.

grin

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 3:31 pm
sometimes it's the only kesher I have with some of them (inc. the frum...)

morahaviva

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 8:48 pm
What you could do is make up your own cards, then run up and down the halls and any shalach manos that are there by ppls doors, and replace the cards with yours!!! That way they think it from you and you didnt have to do any work!! LOL

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 8:58 pm
well, you had to run.

Squash

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 12:45 pm
morahaviva wrote:
What you could do is make up your own cards, then run up and down the halls and any shalach manos that are there by ppls doors, and replace the cards with yours!!! That way they think it from you and you didnt have to do any work!! LOL

hey! that is brilliant morah!!!!!

Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 12:49 pm
I live in an all frum bldg (except 2 tenants I think), but theres no way id give the entire building (thus im posting anon, b/c it seems like everyone else does give everyone). I give the people who im friends with, those who I have any sort of "tie" with (ie third cousin once removed of my husband, girl I took a class w/ back in college but have not much to do with, etc). But just to give random people I see in the elevator once a week? Shlach Manos are expensive! I already have a list of around 35-40 people, friends and relatives, who we have to give on Friday, why should I add 10 more people to my already hectic day?

Cdlf

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 1:51 pm
We have been doing a Gorel on the block for years. You pick a name and only give that family. There are 2-3 families that don't participate because they don't have too many people to give or don't leave the block on Purim. I think this is a great solution!!

MamaBear

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 3:47 pm
I give to all the Jews in my building, even the one who I think isn't halachically jewish.

Small story: years ago in college, before I became religious, a frum friend of mine gave me shalach manos through the on campus hillel. It was just a paper bag with a soda and some nosh. I hadn't received shalach manos in yrs (my grandma used to give me when I was a child) and I was overjoyed. I became frum 2 yrs later and to this day, I still remember the gesture and remember how included I felt. It was the only connection I had to Purim that year, receiving that shalach manos. This girl never tried to "convert" me to Orthodoxy but her friendship, her midos, and small acts like the shalach manos are a big reason why I'm frum.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 3:53 pm
whoa I just did a double take on that last post since I dont have any non frum jews in my building LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics