Home

I’m Graduating Medical School Now, AMA
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 12:41 pm
I’ve seen over the last few months a couple of posts about frum women pursuing medicine. A lot of the threads had great advice but I didn’t see too many posters who were actually in medical school or physicians. So here’s your chance to AMA and hear first-hand. I’m a product of Bais Yakov/yeshivish upbringing. Married with two children under the age of 5. I might change some details to protect my anonymity, but if I do so, I will make sure it doesn’t impact what I’m saying.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 12:56 pm
Congrats!
That’s amazing! Much continued luck!
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 1:50 pm
What kind of doctor are you going to be? Are you happy you did it, do you have any regrets?
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 1:57 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
What kind of doctor are you going to be? Are you happy you did it, do you have any regrets?


I’m going to hold off on saying my specialty for now. Something intense but with an option to have limited hours if I so choose. My only regret is not starting my premed journey earlier and starting medical school at a younger age. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, but would start the process younger.
Back to top

amother




Chocolate
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 2:00 pm
How many years did it take you, from start to finish?
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
How many years did it take you, from start to finish?


-4 years of undergrad (1 of those was seminary)
-1 year dedicated to MCAT+other things to make myself a competitive applicant
-5 years of medical school (I took one extra year in middle for research)
And now I have 4-5 years of residency ahead of me.

But I lived life between all those years, it’s not like they were dedicated 100% to college/medicine/or whatever. I worked, made $, got married and lived a normal life interspersed with intense periods.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 2:15 pm
Is it 4-5 years of residency plus fellowship or just residency?
How does residency work- you do a few weeks in each dept?
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 2:26 pm
Will it be difficult to find a residency that respects your religious needs?
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 2:49 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Is it 4-5 years of residency plus fellowship or just residency?
How does residency work- you do a few weeks in each dept?


4 years residency and 1 year of fellowship if I choose to subspecialize.

My first year of residency is not focused on my specialty. It’s a year of general medicine and the following 3 years are focused on my specialty.
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 2:50 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Will it be difficult to find a residency that respects your religious needs?


I already matched, meaning I have a place for residency. This varies individual to individual. If religious accomodations are a priority for someone, they can apply accordingly.

I never had to work on shabboss or a chag as a medical student, but as a resident I probably will since I am actually providing life-saving care at that point.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 2:59 pm
bruriyah wrote:
4 years residency and 1 year of fellowship if I choose to subspecialize.

My first year of residency is not focused on my specialty. It’s a year of general medicine and the following 3 years are focused on my specialty.

Is that state/country or specialty specific?

(Curious because I know a couple of ped heme/onc & ID fellows who are doing 3 yrs)
Back to top

amother




Chartreuse
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 3:09 pm
Start to finish, what’s the cost of all the schooling, books, supplies, etc?
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 3:12 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Is that state/country or specialty specific?

(Curious because I know a couple of ped heme/onc & ID fellows who are doing 3 yrs)


How long a fellowship is is very specialty-dependent. In my specialty fellowships are only 1 or 2 years long.
Back to top

amother




Blonde
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 3:12 pm
Was your husband working while you were in school? How did you manage studying/supper time/me time? etc
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 3:20 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Start to finish, what’s the cost of all the schooling, books, supplies, etc?


Books? Haven’t cracked open a textbook since undergrad! All of our learning tools I used were digital. Private schools are about ~60K/year so overall ~240K. My school did give me some need-based aid so overall my tuition was a little less. Digital learning tools prob ~$500 a year, really not that much. The big one is tuition. But you also have to factor in the cost of living bec you can’t work while in med school. That will vary tremendously person to person.
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Was your husband working while you were in school? How did you manage studying/supper time/me time? etc


This is a long one. Husband working during med school so that covered most (not all!) or our living expenses. For tuition, we took out loans. Managing time... I’ll try to get to that later when I have more time. In short, my research year was like a regular 30-40 hr work week, sometime even less so that was a break.
Back to top

mirror




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 4:48 pm
Thanks for coming forward.

I'm at a loss and maybe you can help me. My friend's 17-year-old daughter never watched any movies or television, yet she was exposed to whatsapp chats and youtube videos. She is now convinced that vaccines cause cancer and kill people. The reason we don't know about this is because the media is covering it up. She saw a video of a doctor who claimed... What can I possibly say to her? Why aren't our schools teaching kids to be wary of anyone claiming to be a doctor on youtube?

What would you say to parents who think it's okay to let their kids spend hours watching educational videos on youtube without supervision?
Back to top

amother




Ruby
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:10 pm
mirror wrote:
Thanks for coming forward.

I'm at a loss and maybe you can help me. My friend's 17-year-old daughter never watched any movies or television, yet she was exposed to whatsapp chats and youtube videos. She is now convinced that vaccines cause cancer and kill people. The reason we don't know about this is because the media is covering it up. She saw a video of a doctor who claimed... What can I possibly say to her? Why aren't our schools teaching kids to be wary of anyone claiming to be a doctor on youtube?

What would you say to parents who think it's okay to let their kids spend hours watching educational videos on youtube without supervision?



Everytime my kid they got a vaccine they complained that they didn't want it. Their dr gently explained that they are getting a vaccine because their parents love them and he (the dr) cares for them. As my kids got older they understood the need for vaccines. One dc got hurt by a rusty nail and got his tetanus shot early. My family was part of the drama and were all greatful that there was a simple way to prevent infections.

We have been discussing the Covid vaccine from day 1. We discuss it all the time, and im not ready yet to vaccinate my kids. My kids understand and respect everyone that chooses to take the Covid vaccine.

I talk to my kids about drinking, smoking and even the dangers of drugs. I cant wait until the other side educates my kids. I need them to fully understand the implications before its even something that will come up in real life.

I would advise your friend to take her dd to her pediatrician. Give the dr heads up so that s/he is prepared to have the conversation.
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 6:03 pm
mirror wrote:
Thanks for coming forward.

I'm at a loss and maybe you can help me. My friend's 17-year-old daughter never watched any movies or television, yet she was exposed to whatsapp chats and youtube videos. She is now convinced that vaccines cause cancer and kill people. The reason we don't know about this is because the media is covering it up. She saw a video of a doctor who claimed... What can I possibly say to her? Why aren't our schools teaching kids to be wary of anyone claiming to be a doctor on youtube?

What would you say to parents who think it's okay to let their kids spend hours watching educational videos on youtube without supervision?


You bring up a good point.

Knowledge is power. Most ppl I know who think like this never learned high school science. The more your children know about real science, medicine etc... the less likely they are to fall for nonsense. I’m not here to tell ppl how to raise their children, what to let them consume and what not, but on a personal level, I don’t believe in “censoring” what your children consume, within reasonable limits, of course.

Then again, there’s a subset of ppl who will believe this type of stuff no matter what.
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 6:08 pm
Nothing much to add but Mazal Tov!! I’m always so inspired when frum women go through medical school at the same time as having children, being married, living a frum lifestyle. I’m a wife of a surgeon in a grueling sub-speciality (who is still not done with fellowship) and if he didn’t have his entire life taken care of by me I don’t know how he would do it. I don’t know how women with children do it. Your husband must also be a very special person. Did you have full-time help? Or parents who lived nearby?
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Academically bright but behaviorally huge issue in school
by amother
16 Yesterday at 7:03 am View last post
New Munkatch school in Monsey
by amother
77 Thu, May 06 2021, 7:45 pm View last post
Working in your daughters school
by amother
7 Thu, May 06 2021, 3:32 pm View last post
Weight loss and dieting AMA
by amother
16 Thu, May 06 2021, 10:14 am View last post
Boys high school, please help find a good match
by amother
7 Wed, May 05 2021, 10:50 am View last post