Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I’m Graduating Medical School Now, AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 6:09 pm
Approx how old are you?
What do you mean you'd start younger?
I'm asking because I'm in my 30s and would love to go into a specific field that may take a few years and wondering how doable it is once you bh have a family.

bruriyah

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 6:09 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Was your husband working while you were in school? How did you manage studying/supper time/me time? etc

To get back to this:
When finances allowed it, we had a lot a lot of household and babysitting help. Domesticity has never been the central part of our life. My husband is very low-maintenance. He does not expect a warm dinner every night. I’ve lowered my standards for cleanliness and organization knowing in the back of my mind that, hopefully, in the future, we will be able to afford to outsource all of that. For example, I developed a method I call “a functional clean”, meaning my surroundings have to be clean/organized enough for me to function in it, which is considerably lower than that “ah clean and organized” type of cleaning/organizing I used to do before med school.

bruriyah

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 6:13 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Approx how old are you?
What do you mean you'd start younger?
I'm asking because I'm in my 30s and would love to go into a specific field that may take a few years and wondering how doable it is once you bh have a family.

I started medical school in my late twenties and now in my early thirties. It’s possible to do anything, but if you are just starting now with undergraduate classes, I would caution you to think about it very carefully, because it’s a long journey before you see ROI (return on investment). By younger I mean if you can start med school before age 24/25, thats ideal IMO. Younger is even better.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:18 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Nothing much to add but Mazal Tov!! I’m always so inspired when frum women go through medical school at the same time as having children, being married, living a frum lifestyle. I’m a wife of a surgeon in a grueling sub-speciality (who is still not done with fellowship) and if he didn’t have his entire life taken care of by me I don’t know how he would do it. I don’t know how women with children do it. Your husband must also be a very special person. Did you have full-time help? Or parents who lived nearby?

Can I ask you a personal question?

What keeps you going?

What is your dh like when he IS around?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:31 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Can I ask you a personal question?

What keeps you going?

What is your dh like when he IS around?

It’s very very very very very hard. My husband is a gem and he helps as much as he can when he’s around, which isn’t often. But it’s really hard on both of us. It makes my husband SO happy though. It’s kind of like a train you can’t get off, though. Once you start you’re on this path until the end. My husbands passions lie in a particularly difficult field, though. Most people are done way before this.

I just hope that once he’s finally done and he makes some nice money and I can relax, it will be worth it. So far, I think so!

NotLazySusan

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:36 pm
Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment!!

lovingmommy3417

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:38 pm
Did you have children while in med school? I know it's not the same but I'm in nursing school and really want to have more kids and grow my family now but terrified that I wont be able to do it all. I feel so stretched as it is.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
It’s very very very very very hard. My husband is a gem and he helps as much as he can when he’s around, which isn’t often. But it’s really hard on both of us. It makes my husband SO happy though. It’s kind of like a train you can’t get off, though. Once you start you’re on this path until the end. My husbands passions lie in a particularly difficult field, though. Most people are done way before this.

I just hope that once he’s finally done and he makes some nice money and I can relax, it will be worth it. So far, I think so!

I am asking because im a bit behind you this path and not in a very supportive place rn, I am wondering if I am feeling this way due to dhs attitude, or if it's me...

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 7:33 pm
I am asking because im a bit behind you this path and not in a very supportive place rn, I am wondering if I am feeling this way due to dhs attitude, or if it's me...

Oy, I’m so sorry to hear this. The lifestyle definitely needs both partners to be on board. Your husband needs to understand how hard it is on you too. I would PM you but I’d rather not out my screen name here. Would you like to post under your screen name and I can PM you that way?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:42 pm
bruriyah wrote:
You bring up a good point.

Knowledge is power. Most ppl I know who think like this never learned high school science. The more your children know about real science, medicine etc... the less likely they are to fall for nonsense. I’m not here to tell ppl how to raise their children, what to let them consume and what not, but on a personal level, I don’t believe in “censoring” what your children consume, within reasonable limits, of course.

Then again, there’s a subset of ppl who will believe this type of stuff no matter what.

So interesting! What do med schools teach students about vaccines? How much time to you devote to this topic?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:55 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Oy, I’m so sorry to hear this. The lifestyle definitely needs both partners to be on board. Your husband needs to understand how hard it is on you too. I would PM you but I’d rather not out my screen name here. Would you like to post under your screen name and I can PM you that way?

Yes thank you pls lmk when you see this

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:57 pm
Yes thank you pls lmk when you see this

Looking right now! I’m online now but heading to bed soon.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:04 pm
Mazal Tov! If this was thirty years ago, I too would be doing what you did( getting on a path, upgrading my undergraduate studies - I have a BA IN English) and aiming towards medicine. At 53, my chances of ever getting in to medicine are slim to none. Especially in Canada where tuition is about $25 k a year. I’m sad that I did not figure it out sooner, but so happy for YOU!

My dream job would be in metabolism or endocrinology. I hope you remain happy and fulfilled in your future! Rooting for you!

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:31 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
So interesting! What do med schools teach students about vaccines? How much time to you devote to this topic?

Wondering the same. A quick google search came up with this:

Can the Op weigh in with the facts?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:35 am
Congrats and Hatzlocha!!
Regarding the curriculum-
How long did you spend learning about vaccines- thier contents, potential adverse events, what to look out for, how to report an adverse reaction, what subgroups are vulnerable to adverse events, what ongoing research is going on given the expanding childhood and adult schedule?
Because parents do a lot of research on this and many feel their children have been harmed by the expanding vaccine schedule. However, most are told by their doctors " I went to med school", so stop researching...
Sorry to put you on the spot. Just so relevant

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 2:13 pm
I’m also curious about vaccine education in medical school . I will wait for a response from Op. I think the pharmaceutical reps are educating the doctors.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 2:49 pm
Can the Op or anyone else that has gone through medical school share their experience? I was curious and just asked my friend who is a PA. She admitted me they had one lesson on it. Was about vaccines are safe and effective, and how to deal with hesitant and concerned mothers. Nothing about side effects.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:03 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Can the Op or anyone else that has gone through medical school share their experience? I was curious and just asked my friend who is a PA. She admitted me they had one lesson on it. Was about vaccines are safe and effective, and how to deal with hesitant and concerned mothers. Nothing about side effects.

Some things you learn in school. Some things you learn on the job. You don't learn the full list of potential side effects for every drug, either. You learn the principles, and fill in the details over time.

Speaking as a nurse, not a doctor, but if anyone asks me about the side effects of any specific vaccine I'll pick up the patient information leaflet and go through it with them. A lot of it I know anyway, but it never hurts to have a written source.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:25 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Some things you learn in school. Some things you learn on the job. You don't learn the full list of potential side effects for every drug, either. You learn the principles, and fill in the details over time.

Speaking as a nurse, not a doctor, but if anyone asks me about the side effects of any specific vaccine I'll pick up the patient information leaflet and go through it with them. A lot of it I know anyway, but it never hurts to have a written source.

I don't know, dh definitely learned about drugs and their side effects in med school.
He had to answer questions such as if patient I'd exhibiting x symptoms, and recently was diagnosed with y, which drug may have been use to treat y and cause x symptoms.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:07 pm
Most visits to a pediatrician is for shots. I was shocked to hear that there is only on lesson on vaccines.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics