Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Dd 16 doesn’t want to get the vaccine
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:43 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
There is no imperial evidence that the vaccine is risky. That’s hyperbole.

The evidence is that not enough time has passed and the vaccine hasn't been studied enough to know of any future side effects. This is why vaccines are studied for years before being given out. We can't know what can rachmana litzlon happen in years from now as a result of the vaccine. What if whoever took the vaccine will die out within the next few years? Or get sick with a major illnes as a side effect? It hasn't been studied for long enough to know the long term side effects.

amother
Seafoam

The drugs went through trials.

So did the Dalkon Shield back in the day.

They are under an emergency use authorization and are not FDA-approved. That's why there is no vaccine mandate. They can't mandate a vaccine that hasn't undergone rigorous enough testing for the FDA's standards, even if the trials that have been done so far indicate safety. Look at what happened to AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

I'm playing devil's advocate over here to explain that you cannot call those who do not want to get vaccinated selfish. If you continue to insist on it, you are showing a remarkable reluctance to look past the end of your own nose. Perhaps it is in your best interests for others to get vaccinated, but can you demand that others put your safety before their own? In their minds, the vaccine poses more of a risk to them than covid, and there isn't conclusive evidence to show that they're wrong.

amother
Amethyst

imasinger wrote:
There's not any empirical evidence either. Laugh

Gah, autocorrect!

HealthCoach

Quote:

1 IN ONE MILLION vs. 1 IN 1,000.

Do you not understand the difference?!

The story isn’t over yet.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:44 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
so its up to standards FOR YOU.

Other people want to wait and see what happens in a few years.

They don't owe you anything. Get over yourself.

Grow up

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:46 pm
Grow up

ok I see we are deteriorating here.

have a good night. I wish you peace.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:46 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
The evidence is that not enough time has past and the vaccine hasn't been studied enough to know of any future side effects. This is why vaccines are studied for year before being given out. We can't know what can rachmana litzlon happen in years from now as a result of the vaccine. What if whoever took the vaccine will dies out within the next few years? Or get sick with a major illnes as a side effect? It hasn't been studied for long enough to know the long term side effects.

The main mechanism that was used in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines has been studied for the last 10 years. I'd say that's a long enough time.

You're going to see in the next 5-20 years that a bunch of skewed-sample, small-sample, biased, improperly-constituted studies are going to come out showing that the vaccine caused everything from long-term eczema to food allergies to infertility to cancer. The media will report them and sensationalize them. They will stick in everyone's minds as "proof" that the vaccines were risky and that they were right not to have taken them. Meanwhile, the studies will disappear as quickly as they came, never to be replicated, quick to be discredited, and having made an everlasting and devastating effect on people's psyches and trust of the medical system.

This happens every day of the week.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
ok I see we are deteriorating here.

have a good night. I wish you peace.

So you can tell me to “get over myself” but I can’t respond. Gosh, this feels like the politics forum.

amother
Seafoam

HealthCoach wrote:
Quote:

The story isn’t over yet.

Come back in a year from now. It'll be 2 in a million and you'll declare victory.

amother
Jetblack

The drugs went through trials.

1. No, they unblinded the control group.

2. Only 74 deaths post covid vax? I have a bridge to sell you. Look up the reports on vaers (a govt site) and try again. Remember that most adverse reactions or deaths don't get reported to vaers, either bc ppl don't know it exists or bc they won't make the connection.

3. OP, it's your daughter's right to refuse this and there is no way you should shame or bully her into taking it. Guests don't have to come. Or she can leave the house. Or if they really think their own vax works, they should be fine being around other unvaxed ppl.

Good freakin Gd, when did "my body my choice" become only for abortion and not for untested drugs??

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:48 pm
Grow up

You are not the only one that cares for your health and it's so rude and immature to belittle others for the health choices they're making.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
2. Only 74 deaths post covid vax? I have a bridge to sell you. Look up the reports on vaers (a govt site) and try again. Remember that most adverse reactions or deaths don't get reported to vaers, either bc ppl don't know it exists or bc they won't make the connection.

You are mixing up two different things.

We are not talking about people who died after getting vaccinated, which would be reported to VAERS.

We are talking about people who died from covid after being fully vaccinated. That has nothing to do with VAERS.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:52 pm
Maybe it would be selfish not to vax if the dd was actually living with the high risk person.

But to vaccinate for someone to visit her home doesn't make sense. The science is not conclusive yet. The DD is still young and low risk.

Selfish is a weird word right now.

Some might say it's selfish for older or at risk people to expect young low risk people to upend their lives and take brand new vaccines in order to protect them. My mother is high risk. She wouldn't want me or my children to take the vaccine that has barely been out for a year. She is careful for herself and it's hard.

Some might say it's selfish not to vaccinate in order to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Taking a small risk in order to protect someone who has a higher risk would be the right thing to do. Maybe if it was a member of my household I could be ok with such an argument. But if it is someone who doesn't live with me and I have limited contact with the risk benefit for either of us doesnt make sense to me.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:05 am
So interesting because DD 17 and ALL her friends are hustling to get the vaccine. When I took my DD, I have never seen her roll up her sleeve so fast.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:14 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

It doesn't make sense to average all age groups together when estimating an individual's risk of dying from covid, because we know that the risk varies widely depending on age.

Eta. Looks like for a 17 year old, there are less than 19 deaths per million.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:54 am
Grow up

Part of being a grown up is recognizing that you will make choices that are best for you and others will make choices that are best for them. You don't have to spend time with anyone you don't want to spend time with, and others don't have to rearrange their lives to suit you. That's something most grown ups understand.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:56 am
Grow up

Hey, that's not nice. Play nice, please.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:24 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
So interesting because DD 17 and ALL her friends are hustling to get the vaccine. When I took my DD, I have never seen her roll up her sleeve so fast.

it was the same for my 18 years old

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:35 am
On the Titanic the children were evacuated first. Then the younger women. Then the younger men. Then the older.

When Yakov met eisav, do you remember how they set up? Who protected who?

It is standard humanity that the old protect the young, the sick protect the healthy (that is a tricky one but full of examples like using people who will die soon to pull off risky war-like moves because even if they get caught they are dying still), the men protect the women. So that the world should continue.

With covid it should follow. The children have almost no risk from the virus, to vaccinate with an uproven in the long term drug is by definition riskier than their known risk. Which grandparent would put theirself above their grandchilds well being?

And same as most everyone OP, you don't vaccinate to be a good host. That is not a good enough reason. You have lots of other options. Teach dd to trust her gut.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:38 am
I think it is bad parenting to force a child to get a vaccine taht school doesn't require. You can give your take on it and encouragement but if it isnt required to function in society then it is her choice. I think it is overbearing and not good for the child parent relationship to force these things. Especially when it is new and we really don't know how it will effect 16 year olds. But even if I was sure it was right for a 16 year old, calling her selfish for not wanting it is invalidating her feelings and a recipe for a bad relationship. Instead you should be curious as to her opinions and engage in a dialogue and discussion. If you continue to feel she will making a mistake you can give her feedback to think about.

I did get the vaccine as did my husband- both of us being over 40. But I Personally Am hoping they do not require it for kids because they have such low risk and it Hasn't been around long to know how they effect that population and if it is worth it for such a low risk population.

Woudl u force her to get a flu shot? Or any other non required for school shot? Or call her selfish if she didn't want it. I'm guessing not- but if so that is also a problem. We should be interested in our children's thought process and we can help give feedback a help gently shape them through thoughtful discussion, but we can't control them. Forcing it sounds intrusive and toxic to me .
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children