Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My baby likes to eat coins
Previous  1  2

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:13 pm
You need to take him to the doctor to be sure he hasn’t swallowed any. Certain coins (I think pennies from before 1986) contain something that can cause erosion.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:17 pm
Could be an iron deficiency.

My daughter swallowed a penny once and was very scary. Coins especially can be extremely dangerous as they are just the right size to get stuck in the esophagus and block airflow. Someone I know nearly died from this and needed emergency surgery.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:54 pm
You need to get him a playpen even though he is walking or these fences so you can make a safe place for him to play. This is very dangerous.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all.
To the poster who said I'm too blase, you are right. I am too laid back in general. Especially since this child also has many allergies, and I have to be super careful about that as well. I should explain that this is baby #7, and none of my other kids put stuff in their mouths. Or stuck their hands in the toilet. Or ran out of the front door if it was left ajar. This is a first for me so I'm just not used to it.

Anyway, he kept toddling off and coming back with coins in his mouth. I finally followed him into my daughter's room and found him with his hand in her purse, which is hanging on a hook on her door, helping himself to coins. So I put the purse high up, out of reach.

Really? Those are such common toddler behaviors, the first two especially. Sorry but you kind of have to baby proof, keep doors closed, and watch him.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:00 pm
Google pictures of "Baby swallowed a ..." That should wake you up.

If anything gets stuck in the small intestine, it will block off blood flow, and the intestines will DIE. Then you will be looking at emergency surgery at best, possibly an ileostomy bag, or worse, peritonitis and death.

There are companies that can come out and completely baby-proof your house. They will go over every inch of it and find the danger spots. It will cost a few hundred dollars, but then it will be done. All you have to do is to remember to keep things locked, and make sure your older kids follow the rules.

Compared to the cost of hospital bills, a few hundred dollars is nothing. How much is your baby worth?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics