Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Srugim and Shtisel - For Those Watching With Captions

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 11:26 am
I don't speak Hebrew so I rely on the captioning for these shows.

I also don't speak Swedish and I recently watched The Restaurant which is a Swedish series. As a side note, I found it quite good. It is a "soap opera" type of show which follows the characters from just before the end of WW II through the 1970's. It has been described as a Swedish Downton Abby which I don't think is accurate except that there is a family business which is an elegant restaurant in Stockholm and the characters are all involved with the restaurant in some way as either the family which owns it and their upper class friends or the people who work in the restaurant. I recommend it.

Anyway having watched these three shows, it seems like the way the actors/characters "act" in terms of their physical gestures, interactions and even inflections is very familiar to me. I am not Chareidi or Israeli and so there is nothing about the way they dress or style themselves that is "familiar" but it seems like subliminally they remind me of even many secular Jews I interact with in real life.

The acting in The Restaurant is excellent but the characters don't have the same kind of familiar facial and body gestures.

I wonder whether there is something universal that I am picking up with - and not the religious slouch that was discussed in Srugim LOL Despite the superficial way the characters look, I could be sitting watching my family interacting.

I enjoyed The Restaurant so if you like that kind of show, you might check it out. I only watched the first season because you have to subscribe for the other three seasons. I don't need another subscription so I am waiting for a week in which to binge them all since there is a one week free trial Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics