Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Tile Installation

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:33 pm
Installing a new bathroom. Who can you recommend to install the tiles?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:38 pm
Are you buying the tile yourself? If you use a flooring company they’ll supply the tile and install.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:55 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Are you buying the tile yourself? If you use a flooring company they’ll supply the tile and install.

What is a flooring company?
I'd like to do it the most cost effective way. So if that's to buy the tile myself and get an installer, then that is what I would like to do.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:24 pm
I’m not sure. You can call a handyman to price it.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:27 pm
Silverstone

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:33 pm
What are you tiling?

Tiling is a very skilled trade and there are many incompetent people who will do a terrible job. If you are tiling a shower, it will be more than an aesthetic issue as the shower or bath won't be waterproofed properly and so you will wind up with leaks and mold.

You can be pennywise and pound foolish if you get the cheapest tile because that tile is often low quality and so the tile job will look terrible or the tile setter will have to get rid of so many tiles that the actual cost of the tiles will be more than if you got higher quality tiles. I am not saying you have to get super expensive designer tiles but you do want to make sure you are getting a good quality tile.

Many of the best tile setters will want to know exactly what tile you will be using because they want to make sure the tile is good quality since they can't do a good job with poor quality tiles.

FWIW, porcelain tile is more expensive than ceramic tile but it is more durable so it pays to get it for surfaces that will get more hard wear - for example floors. Porcelain is stronger because it is fired at a higher temperature and also generally the color is all the way through.

You also should make sure that the tile is okay for whatever you are using it for in terms of the manufacturer. Some tiles are only used on walls. Some tiles are not okay for wet areas. Also if you are using tiles on the floor - especially in the bathroom - the COF should be safe when they are wet or else the floors become slippery and dangerous. Large tiles don't have a lot of grippiness so you have to be extra careful to make sure they are rated for floors.

COF is the Coefficient of friction which rates how slippery a tile is. Smaller tiles with grout will be grippier because of the grout so the COF rating is less important than with larger tiles that have fewer grout lines so your foot is on the tile rather than on multiple grout lines as it would be with smaller tiles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries