Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Rabbi Daniel Glatstien's shiurim
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 4:09 pm
I wonder if any of you ladies listened to the shiur I posted above? Would love to discuss!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wonder if any of you ladies listened to the shiur I posted above? Would love to discuss!

I did! And thank you so much! It was truly a special class...I love the depth and insight into the workings of the next world that the sefarim of the Chofetz Chaim give us. I so appreciate the time it must take Rabbi Glatstein to prepare such a thorough discussion on this topic. I will definitely be listening to more shiurim from him!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 5:18 pm
Siriusly? wrote:
I haven't listened to that many of his shiurim (although after the raving reviews I'm definitely going to be checking them out now!), but I remember being mind-blown a few years ago by his shiur on Binyamin being a werewolf... it was really fascinating, and so well-sourced!

Please share the link to this! My son Binyamin needs this in his life, trust me : )

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 5:39 pm
Before I got my browser free phone that gets Torah Anytime I'd go to the site on my pc and get the numbers of shiurim I wanted to listen to, then call in.

bobeli

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 5:54 pm
Following, he is amazing.
I find his books very good too

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 5:59 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Please share the link to this! My son Binyamin needs this in his life, trust me : )

Here you go:
Werewolves:
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....=5485

More on werewolves:
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....=5608

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:06 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
You put it so well! I say all these things people are going to think I’m you! Would love to discuss he’s really one of the five people I follow, and the only one where I save his shiurim.

The problem becomes when I want to say something to a poster based on what he’s said in a shiur but I can’t find the shiur! He had a whole shiur on why it never mentions Rivka’s death and where Yaakov hid from Esav in the Torah, and why, and I loved it and I can NEVER FIND IT AGAIN.

I saved so many of his shiurim in my library that I loved.

Is this the one?
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....=4831

It's entitled "Yaakov's secret hiding place".

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Haha, kindered spirit!

I haven't listened to that shiur you mentioned so I can't help you there. But whenever I'm looking for a specific shiur, I use the search bar in Torah Anytime, under the speaker's name. Put in any words you remember. Also, there are different spellings for the hebrew words at times so try different variations. Also, look under the relevant parsha.

I'VE TRIED. It's like the abyss.

Lately I've been listening to his take on the Iggeres Haramban. One thing I learned is that when it says that we should try to be humble, because if we are wealthy, it's from Hashem, and if we are smart, it's from Hashem. I mean, that made sense to me, but he added another level based on ...?? I can't remember who said this. But the point is that you're supposed to realize that if Hashem gave YOUR kind of wealth to this other person you're judging, he might do way better than you with it! If He gave your brains to this person who you don't think is as smart as you, maybe they would learn more Torah with it.

It was a great way to think about things.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would love to hear of any specific shiurim that you loved.

Some of the interesting shiurim I listened to were:
On Haman: The title of the shiur is $$$. The search feature of Torah Anytime isn't working well, but I remember it. It was about how Haman was bloody loaded, and how he got his money. (He found Yosef's cache), and how the tree Haman got to hang Mordechai had its dimensions specifically mentioned because it was from Noach's ark! Never knew that.

I also loved the series on the Titanic. That was fascinating. It mentioned 9/11 and how to handle Agunahs with husbands that were in the twin towers.

I'm looking at my saved library and like all of them are on Purim, lol.

I love the 10 commandments to raising children shiur. I love that one because it's based on Torah sources, not modern parenting classes.

I love the "Parshat Noach" How to get on Hashem's Good Side.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is this the one?
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....=4831

It's entitled "Yaakov's secret hiding place".

YES!! This is why this website is the best! I love this shiur. This shiur actually answered a question I had so long ago back in high school and it was finally answered! Worth the wait!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:27 am
imorethanamother wrote:
Some of the interesting shiurim I listened to were:
On Haman: The title of the shiur is $$$. The search feature of Torah Anytime isn't working well, but I remember it. It was about how Haman was bloody loaded, and how he got his money. (He found Yosef's cache), and how the tree Haman got to hang Mordechai had its dimensions specifically mentioned because it was from Noach's ark! Never knew that.

I also loved the series on the Titanic. That was fascinating. It mentioned 9/11 and how to handle Agunahs with husbands that were in the twin towers.

I'm looking at my saved library and like all of them are on Purim, lol.

I love the 10 commandments to raising children shiur. I love that one because it's based on Torah sources, not modern parenting classes.

I love the "Parshat Noach" How to get on Hashem's Good Side.

Wow! I haven't heard any of these you mentioned..now I will look them up.
Ever since I stopped commuting to work, I haven't been listening to shiurim consistently.
Its much harder to listen when you are in the house...

Gonna post another one of my favorites soon.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:28 am
imorethanamother wrote:
YES!! This is why this website is the best! I love this shiur. This shiur actually answered a question I had so long ago back in high school and it was finally answered! Worth the wait!

What was the question?

rh1211

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 7:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Recently I posted a few of Rabbi Glatstein's shiurim here and there on various threads, and there seemed to be quite a few fans.

I used to commute to work and spent the time listeing to different shiurim on TorahAnytime. Once I started listening to Rabbi Glatstien, his shiurim became my go-to. I always learned new things.

There were some shiurim that were so memorable and fascinating to me that I would love to share with others. I'm wondering if there are other Imas who would be interested in an exchange of shiur recommendations, where we could give a quick synopsis of the shiur and maybe it can lead to further discussion.

But first, I want to explain what it is about Rabbi Glatstien's style that I appreciate. Firstly, he brings sources from all over. Ashkenaz, Sefardi, Chassidish, Litvish, mekubalim, Rishonim, Acharonim etc.

Whenever he brings an obscure or lesser known source, he gives a brief biography, or tells you where and when he lived. (Love this!)

He doesn't waste your time. He really packs it in. He doesnt use dramatics or hyperboles. He may say a quick story or illustration, to make a point but he doesn't say stories for the effect. He speaks clearly but at a quick pace. He has a dry sense of humor that comes out at times.

I especially like that he doesn't take anything for granted. When exploring a topic, he goes through the sources from the earliest mention of it and brings it through until today.
Also, he speaks on so many topics, he is not a "one trick horse. "

He is not afraid to tackle controversial subjects, but he does so with respect and sensitivity.

Perhaps most importantly, he doesnt say over all the same things you heard 100 times. He is always bringing in new perspectives and shedding light on a subject in a way that is fresh and new. He is not boring! (I am a bit ADHD and can't stand listening to boring speakers who repeat themselves over and over.)

Anyone interested?

Thanks for starting this thread! I always feel like I'm the only woman listening to Rabbi Glatstein's shiurim, though I knew that there must be others. I am also wary to join the Whatsapp chats because I feel like they must be all men! Would love to join a woman's thread or chat to discuss.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:09 am
rh1211 wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread! I always feel like I'm the only woman listening to Rabbi Glatstein's shiurim, though I knew that there must be others. I am also wary to join the Whatsapp chats because I feel like they must be all men! Would love to join a woman's thread or chat to discuss.

The whatsapp chat is not for chatting. It is exclusively to post his shiurim and the source sheets. It's only admin enabled.

So every couple of days I get a bunch of links to his current shiurim and once a week I also get all the previous shiurim on that weeks parsha.

Its easier than going through the TA website each time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:10 am
rh1211 wrote:

Well..this is it.
But in order to discuss specific shiurim, we kind of all need to be listening to the same ones. Thats why I posted the Tazria-Metzora one, upthread.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:34 am
I'm going to post the link to what is probably one of my top 3 favorite shiurim by Rabbi Glatstien.

This shiur was posted as a response to the Pittsburg massacre at the Tree of Life Synagogue in October of 2018.

The question he deals with is the following: Most of us have heard the idea that when someone is killed just because he was a Jew, that is a kiddush Hashem. People who were killed "al kiddush Hashem" are considered kedoshim.

What is the source for this idea? Is it true? We know that tens of thousands of victims of the holocaust were not shomrei Torah umitzvos, and were maybe even anti. But they died with all the other Jews in the camps. So are they now considered kedoshim?

The answer is far more complicated and nuanced than the question.

This shiur, especially the very end, was so powerful, it brought me to tears (and I am not at all an emotional person.)

Would love to discuss this if any of you listen to it!

https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....69796

rh1211

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The whatsapp chat is not for chatting. It is exclusively to post his shiurim and the source sheets. It's only admin enabled.

So every couple of days I get a bunch of links to his current shiurim and once a week I also get all the previous shiurim on that weeks parsha.

Its easier than going through the TA website each time.

Oh wow, very good to know. I didn’t realize that. I get the emails from the rabbidg.com website now, which have the source sheets. I didnt listen to every shiur last week, and I dont remember the post-Pittsburgh shooting shiur so well — will have to refresh my memory (and listen to this week’s)!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:00 am
rh1211 wrote:
Oh wow, very good to know. I didn’t realize that. I get the emails from the rabbidg.com website now, which have the source sheets. I didnt listen to every shiur last week, and I dont remember the post-Pittsburgh shooting shiur so well — will have to refresh my memory (and listen to this week’s)!

I don't listen to every shiur- not by a long shot. I'll get like 5-10 in my whatsapp feed at a time and pick one that seems interesting. I can't process too much at once.

The Pittsburgh shooting just sticks out in my mind because it answered a question I always had... and it helped me make sense of the confusing feelings at the time.

Different clips came out from various speakers giving their take on how a frum jew should view the event. From all of the clips I heard, this was the most thorough, sayisfying and honest.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:09 am
Can someone post a link to the whatsapp please? I would like to join, I agree it would be easier for me than TA

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:18 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Can someone post a link to the whatsapp please? I would like to join, I agree it would be easier for me than TA

I dont know how to do that, but if you follow this link https://www.rabbidg.com/ it will take you to his website. Scroll down and you will see whatsapp groups. Click on it and you can join the group. Looks like they are up to group 3. (Because there is a maximum number of people per group)

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What was the question?

PM me and I'll tell you.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational