Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help!! Wasps or queen bees in my attic

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:53 pm
Can anyone advise? They must've found a way in from the outside!!! They seem to be multiplying. Not sure. I only use attic for storage but kids and MOM afraid to go in to put stuff away or look for things. Sadly, there's no dh to send up there and be the brave one. How can I get rid of them? Besides calling exterminator which is way out of budget!!! Thanks a million!!!

skcomputer

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 3:26 pm
If I recall correctly from when we had this problem, they do go in and out so if you can find the place where they are getting through, cover it. The exterminator said there must be a hive in a tree around the same level as the attic, but I couldn't find any evidence of that. I saw there was a window AC that had space around it so I took packing tape (clear) and taped every place I could around the air conditioner. I also got fiberglass screening material and taped it around the air conditioner so the air can flow but nothing could get in. Turns out I trapped a few wasps in the taped area (not in the screened area) and after a few weeks the problem stopped. I think any wasps trapped inside will die after a few days without food/water. If you have it dark in your attic when it is sunny outside, you should be able to see light through any spots the wasps can travel. Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:24 pm
Thank you SO so much for taking the time to respond. I don't have any window units or any place I know of or can see them coming in. Anyone else have advice? Can I spray anything etc to try to kill them? Tizku lmitzvos. I appreciate any and all advice and Chizuk. This is tough to do when the kids need me to be brave and I may be allergic to bee bites, definitely lots of trauma around them...

observer

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:01 am
Could they be carpenter bees? If your attic has a lot of wood, that could be why, carpenter bees drill holes in wood. Are they very big with shiny black backs?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:07 am
Yes definitely VERY big and I do have a lot of wood. I didn't stick around long enough to see if backs are shiny.. What to do??? Thank you

observer

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes definitely VERY big and I do have a lot of wood. I didn't stick around long enough to see if backs are shiny.. What to do??? Thank you

Well the good news is that carpenter bees don't have stingers, so whatever you do to get rid of them is less scary Smile.
If you can determine that they are carpenter bees, maybe google how to get rid of carpenter bees. Could be specific approaches for different kinds of bees.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics