Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Idk how to shop:(
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 3:52 pm
Idk how to shop. Like at all. Never buy clothes bc when I "go shopping", I just wander the mall looking for idk what. Winter I got away with okay wearing black sweaters and black midi skirt. Can you help me find summer clothes please?? I don't love color- I'll wear blue, green, navy, or black. I only wear mid-calf length or longer skirts. Idk how to find anything. I try all the time, ordering online, going to stores, but nothing. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

sari00

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 3:56 pm
Do u have instagram? Follow some influencers for ideas and swipe ups

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 4:04 pm
What's your budget? Style?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 4:51 pm
newima wrote:
Do u have instagram? Follow some influencers for ideas and swipe ups

Can you name some modest fashion influencers please?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 5:16 pm
What size? Do you like print maxi skirts with solid tops or vice versa?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 5:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What size? Do you like print maxi skirts with solid tops or vice versa?

Small top (but I have big chest so hard to find things that aren't too tight by bust). Yes, I prefer solid tops.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 5:40 pm
get a couple mimu maxi dresses and tops and you'll be set for the season.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
get a couple mimu maxi dresses and tops and you'll be set for the season.

Idk how to find!!SadSad

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:43 pm
https://www.mimumaxi.com/

lucky14

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 10:24 pm
If you don't care if you are wearing the latest trends in your community try stitchfix maybe? I just did that because I can not find clothing for myself. I was super specific about what I wanted in regards to tznius. I explained my body shape and the things that flatter me. I explained my style and the kind of pieces I was looking for. I kept 3 out of the 5 things sent to me. One of the dresses I never would have even tried on had I seen it in a store but I actually really liked it.
I know some people have not had luck with stitchfix but if you are like me and desperate to find something... It was worth the risk of not liking anything and losing the $. There are other services like it. I tried one other site also but the box they sent me was a total bust.

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:30 pm
When you go shopping, are you going with the intention to buy something specific? If shopping is confusing, try to focus by making your excursions goal-oriented and strategic.

Wandering around a mall for fun is fine, but use it for intelligence gathering: scope out which stores have things you like. That way, when you are there to buy, you'll know where to look.

When you are actually there to shop, you should have a goal (for example: 2 summer skirts and 5 tops you can mix and match).

Of course, that means you should know what you need to build a useful wardrobe.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:58 am
DrMom wrote:
When you go shopping, are you going with the intention to buy something specific? If shopping is confusing, try to focus by making your excursions goal-oriented and strategic.

Wandering around a mall for fun is fine, but use it for intelligence gathering: scope out which stores have things you like. That way, when you are there to buy, you'll know where to look.

When you are actually there to shop, you should have a goal (for example: 2 summer skirts and 5 tops you can mix and match).

Of course, that means you should know what you need to build a useful wardrobe.

Right, that's where I'm stuck. I don't know how to build a wardrobe:(

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 7:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right, that's where I'm stuck. I don't know how to build a wardrobe:(

So start there before you go into any stores. Stores are usually designed to make you want to keep wandering around inside and keep browsing.

There are lots of videos and site that talk about capsule wardrobes. Perhaps start there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 7:35 am
DrMom wrote:
So start there before you go into any stores. Stores are usually designed to make you want to keep wandering around inside and keep browsing.

There are lots of videos and site that talk about capsule wardrobes. Perhaps start there.

That's a good idea, I should look into that. Thank you!

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:31 am
You didn't tell us your age, community & size/body shape, if you know type of styles/colors you like, if you are a trendy/classic/comfy/formal/casual/practical/fancy dresser. With more details, people can help you better.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:37 am
dankbar wrote:
You didn't tell us your age, community & size/body shape, if you know type of styles/colors you like, if you are a trendy/classic/comfy/formal/casual/practical/fancy dresser. With more details, people can help you better.

Ok, here goes. I'm in my low 20s, associate with yeshivish community but not yeshivish. Just plain frum. As I mentioned above, top size small but I'm really busty. Problem because I like tops fitted while still being tzniyus. Bottom I'd say medium. I'll only wear midi length or longer. Like I said above, I don't like color. Most I'll so is navy/blue/green. I am really simple and casual. On a regular shabbos I'll wear black sweater with black midi skirt. It doesn't feel right for me when I'm fancy. (To wedding I'll wear also really simple, but with heels and nice sheitel and makeup..). I prefer tops and bottoms as opposed to dresses, which feel to fancy for me. If I do wear dresses, pretty much the only style that flatters me is midi with no waist (idk what it's called, like no scrunchie by the waist, it just is fitted by waist...). Hope this helps... Thank you

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, here goes. I'm in my low 20s, associate with yeshivish community but not yeshivish. Just plain frum. As I mentioned above, top size small but I'm really busty. Problem because I like tops fitted while still being tzniyus. Bottom I'd say medium. I'll only wear midi length or longer. Like I said above, I don't like color. Most I'll so is navy/blue/green. I am really simple and casual. On a regular shabbos I'll wear black sweater with black midi skirt. It doesn't feel right for me when I'm fancy. (To wedding I'll wear also really simple, but with heels and nice sheitel and makeup..). I prefer tops and bottoms as opposed to dresses, which feel to fancy for me. If I do wear dresses, pretty much the only style that flatters me is midi with no waist (idk what it's called, like no scrunchie by the waist, it just is fitted by waist...). Hope this helps... Thank you

If you live in Brooklyn, I'd say go into Fashion Island or Brenda's. Either see what other people are trying on, or ask the salespeople to show you some things. Ideally, take a fashionable friend along for advice. Once you get a few basics and see what suits you, you'll get the hang of it.

Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics