Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Summer suppers

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:24 am
How do you handle making suppers and watching the kids outside? I see mothers chilling outside for hours. How do they make supper? When I want to go outside with the kids, I first have to prepare supper then go and sometimes it takes a while to prepare and by that time it's too late to go outside. I come home close to 3:30 btw.. How do YOU do it?

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:29 am
I don’t always have my act together, but when I do, I prep dinner earlier and have it ready to stick in the oven quickly later. I don’t make any meals that take more than 10 minutes to prep, often 5.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:33 am
I cook on Sunday for Monday/Tues/Wed or sometimes when I make Monday dinner I also make tues and wed at the same time. Then it just has to be warmed up.

Thursday is usually something super easy like pasta or frozen pizza.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:36 am
I have little kids so I do whatever I can ahead during naptime. Sometimes I stick in the oven and we go out (DH works from home) and sometimes I do the prep like chopping veggies ahead, even have the pan already on the stove, and then saute when we come inside. Or for pasta, fill the pot up before we go out, turn it on the second I walk through the door, then go back to help with shoes and coats. Same with preheating the oven since my oven takes a while. Whatever steps I can do before going out I do before. Then I calculate how much time I need so I know when we have to go back inside.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:40 am
I work full time BH and get home at 5:30 so regardless of the season I come for the week on Saturday night/ Sunday (sometimes I even make Sunday’s dinner on Thursday night when I’m cooking for shabbos) having dinners cooked in advance is the best feeling!

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:07 am
Even during the summer I use my crockpot to set up early and leave it. Or cook early and just reheat. Or things like eggs that cook fast.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:28 am
I always wondered the same thing OP. I walk in the door at 4 after picking up my kids from school. As I drive home I see women outside with their kids. As I drive to the grocery store at 4:15 and then back at 5:30ish I see even more women outside.

I think most of the women I see only work until 1 or 2 or not at all.

Some nights I manage to make something really quick that doesn't need to be monitored and I can get outside but def not always!

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:52 am
Isn't it the same as being a working mom all year?
when do we have time for anything?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:02 pm
It is different in the summer if your kids want to be outside, than in the winter when you can cook while they play in the house. There are some days when I tell my kids they have to wait until dinner is in the oven before we can go out to play, but I also have some easy dinners that can be prepped the night before or in the morning before I go to work. I also work full time. Here are some ideas:

Deli wraps or subs - I buy sliced deli and prepared cole slaw from the supermarket. Everyone gets a customized wrap or sandwich with pickles, condiments, etc., depending on what they like.

Baked chicken over rice - takes 5 minutes to prep in the pan and can sit in the fridge all day and get popped in the oven after work to cook while we go out

Crock pot beef stew with potatoes and veggies - more of a winter food, but my family eats it year round and it's so easy

Grilled burgers and hot dogs - for days when my husband can come home from work on the earlier side and he can cook them

Shwarma chicken with pitas - I marinate the chicken strips the night before or in the morning. It takes 5-7 minutes to cook on the stovetop and while cooking I cup up an Israeli salad. Obviously this has to get cooked after everyone is in the house, but they can wait 10 minutes for dinner.

Baked ziti or baked spaghetti or lasagna - all prepped the night before and then cooks while we are outside

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:08 pm
Crock pot beef stew with potatoes and veggies - more of a winter food, but my family eats it year round and it's so easy

can I get the recipe for this trying to collect as many crock pot recepies as possible. out till 5:45 and DH comes home at 6:30 so its a mad rush

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:10 pm
wannabamom wrote:

can I get the recipe for this trying to collect as many crock pot recepies as possible. out till 5:45 and DH comes home at 6:30 so its a mad rush

What time do you leave in the morning? I found when I was out close to 10 hours a day a lot of crock pot recipes became over cooked. 6-8 hours was really the sweet spot for most recipes more then that was not tasty. The instant pot has been better for me since you have better control over how cooked the food is.

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:13 pm
I leave by 11 so it is about 6-8 hours usually
any idea where I can find an instant pot? oh and recopies for it of course:)

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:16 pm
wannabamom wrote:

I use this recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....ew-I/

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:18 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I have little kids so I do whatever I can ahead during naptime. Sometimes I stick in the oven and we go out (DH works from home) and sometimes I do the prep like chopping veggies ahead, even have the pan already on the stove, and then saute when we come inside. Or for pasta, fill the pot up before we go out, turn it on the second I walk through the door, then go back to help with shoes and coats. Same with preheating the oven since my oven takes a while. Whatever steps I can do before going out I do before. Then I calculate how much time I need so I know when we have to go back inside.

Does your oven sometimes refuse to heat up all together?

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I use this recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....ew-I/

looks delicious! thanks!

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:22 pm
mha3484 wrote:
What time do you leave in the morning? I found when I was out close to 10 hours a day a lot of crock pot recipes became over cooked. 6-8 hours was really the sweet spot for most recipes more then that was not tasty. The instant pot has been better for me since you have better control over how cooked the food is.

I am out for about 9 hours and my beef stew is great - on low the whole time. Could be because I prep it the night before and put the insert in the fridge overnight. I imagine it takes the cold crockpot a good hour to get to temperature starting with it all being really cold. Also, make sure there is enough liquid.

I have an IP as well and I love it for Shabbos cooking, but find that in the middle of the week it takes me too long to make IP dinners. It's great that meatballs only need 7 minutes, but when it takes 15 minutes to come to pressure and it's 6 p.m., that's too long for my family.

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:26 pm
I have an IP as well and I love it for Shabbos cooking, but find that in the middle of the week it takes me too long to make IP dinners. It's great that meatballs only need 7 minutes, but when it takes 15 minutes to come to pressure and it's 6 p.m., that's too long for my family.[/quote]
can you give me IP recopies? I love cooking and all but when I know I need to do it in under an hour I freak out

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:37 pm
wannabamom wrote:

can you give me IP recopies? I love cooking and all but when I know I need to do it in under an hour I freak out

A great place to start is on the Instant Pot website: https://recipes.instantpot.com/

Also, there is a kosher IP cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/Shabbos.....51198

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:51 pm
thank you! will defiantly check it out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics