Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Unicycle Trainer

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:51 am
Would you know of a teacher that could teach my 7 year old to ride a unicycle? He's begging for it, so I'm ready to give in:)

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:55 am
My daughter has one, she taught herself how to ride it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:43 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
My daughter has one, she taught herself how to ride it.

ok, so maybe he won't need a teacher! Even better.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:10 pm
Did you try asking a bike store if they know of anyone?

advocate

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:41 pm
Right - you don't need a teacher, you need nice weather and patience! My mother left me ride IN OUR HOUSE! but because you probably won't allow that (!), you need a place with a good railing or fence (even better if its on a walkway where he can reach both sides-maybe a wheelchair accessible ramp up to a school or something like that) and smooth surface. Or a parent! If there is not a curb there, you need a brick or piece of wood or something like that the brace the wheel against when he gets on. Assuming he's "right-footed", you place the wheel so the pedals are across from one another, with the right one in front. He puts is left foot on, which while drive the wheel backwards against the block or curb, then steps on to the right pedal. If you live in suburbia, when he can go a few feet by himself, try to go from mailbox to mailbox.

Yes, he may get a few scraped knees along the way, but this will be so cool!

Be cautious about buying a second hand unicycle because it could have flaws that make it difficult to ride that you might not notice or know about.

I ride, and so does my daughter. I incentivized many of my nephews to learn, and at one of their weddings we had about half a dozen relatives on unicycles! (Plus some of them juggle fire, and several of my kids walk on stilts!)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:47 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Did you try asking a bike store if they know of anyone?

I didn't find a local bike story yet that sells unicycles..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:48 pm
advocate wrote:
Right - you don't need a teacher, you need nice weather and patience! My mother left me ride IN OUR HOUSE! but because you probably won't allow that (!), you need a place with a good railing or fence (even better if its on a walkway where he can reach both sides-maybe a wheelchair accessible ramp up to a school or something like that) and smooth surface. Or a parent! If there is not a curb there, you need a brick or piece of wood or something like that the brace the wheel against when he gets on. Assuming he's "right-footed", you place the wheel so the pedals are across from one another, with the right one in front. He puts is left foot on, which while drive the wheel backwards against the block or curb, then steps on to the right pedal. If you live in suburbia, when he can go a few feet by himself, try to go from mailbox to mailbox.

Yes, he may get a few scraped knees along the way, but this will be so cool!

Be cautious about buying a second hand unicycle because it could have flaws that make it difficult to ride that you might not notice or know about.

I ride, and so does my daughter. I incentivized many of my nephews to learn, and at one of their weddings we had about half a dozen relatives on unicycles! (Plus some of them juggle fire, and several of my kids walk on stilts!)

Ooh! this is such valuable info!!
Thanks for your time to type this and share this!
You're amazing!
And I love what you wrote about the wedding riders!! So So cute! I'd love to watch it! Adorable!!

How much time do you think my son needs to practice to be able to ride into a wedding?

advocate

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:02 pm
Weddings are crazy! What I do is I take the unicycle in, then get on and hold someone's hand to get to the circle, because it is very crowded, and hard to ride slowly, then I get in the circle, or "dance" with the kallah for a minute, then ride out and get off.

Is there a wedding coming up? I think if he practices a little while each day (15 minutes?), a few weeks should probably do it, I would guess. Even if he can't ride by himself completely, he can use other people as "training wheels"

Hatzlacha rabba! PLEASE keep me posted! You can pm me.

advocate

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:17 pm
If you feel comfortable, please pm me, I might have an idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries